Pott's Mountain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Never heard of it, and never been (obviously) :)

Could go check it out.

I want to say its open. I have talked to a few locals and they wheel in that area near the wv border but I am not sure. Its pretty close to my house so I would be up for it one weekend.

Did they say the trails were worth it?

I went a couple years ago. I had a good time. The view from the top of the mountain is awesome. If I remember correctly...there were sites that you could stop to camp at. It was cold as hell when I went (middle of November).

There was one spot that I had to get dragged over though (no bypass) and I was on 3.5" of lift. I wouldn't say that the trails were difficult (in comparison to say Uwharrie), but I don't think it would have been a good idea to run a stock vehicle. I had no skid plates, so I was holding my breath at several points.

DSC01531.jpg

My old beat to $hit Cherokee/XJ.

DSC01566.jpg

DSC01552.jpg

I was attacked by a tree. It was sneaky, like the VC.

DSC01590.jpg

DSC01577.jpg

DSC01579.jpg

DSC01586.jpg

I tried to find the trail when I was in Roanoke for business this winter. Had a rental car so I couldnt go off-road.
I thought I was in the right place. St Road 617 near New Castle VA. There was a campground, Pines Campground, where the turn off was supposed to be.
I could only find a couple possible paths, but I couldnt explor with the rental.
Was I in the right spot? If so, where is the entrance in relation to the campground,
Thanks
Dave

campground - Google Maps

I think that MWalls should be our trail guide. That's his neck o' the woods. What say you?

I will see if I can talk to some one that has been there.

I tried to find the trail when I was in Roanoke for business this winter. Had a rental car so I couldnt go off-road.
I thought I was in the right place. St Road 617 near New Castle VA. There was a campground, Pines Campground, where the turn off was supposed to be.
I could only find a couple possible paths, but I couldnt explor with the rental.
Was I in the right spot? If so, where is the entrance in relation to the campground,
Thanks
Dave

campground - Google Maps

I'd find someone that knows the area to guide the group. There were no signs leading to the trail. I just remember taking a bunch of turns and bam....there's the entrance to the trail.

These directins will drop you at the foot of the Jeep trail.
From 311 in New Castle:
turn onto 615 (left if coming from Paint Bank area)
turn left on 609 (Sand Plant Road)
turn left on 611
turn right on 617

Potts Mountain Jeep trail Va. - ThumperTalk

Cool, thanks Tyler. Do you live down 'round Roanoke?

I'm just north of you...Fredericksburg. I went to school down in Radford though, so it wasn't much of a hike to get to Salem/Roanoke.

I would def be up for a trail ride to this place. If any of you are up for a run to try to located/wheel this place I am Def. up for it... I dont need much notice if it is on a weekend.:beer:

If its the trail I'm thinking of it's pretty cool, especially at night when you get to top and look out over everything. You come outa camp hang a right and just up the road start trail, finish up on the fire road, been a few years since I went ,but have a few friends that are regular " they Bear hunt" up there. If interested I can catch up and talk with them.
Kenny:beer:

Sounds like it may be a little more interesting than shoe creek, but it is about twice as far from Richmond. The directions posted above take you right to it. I think you can actually see the trailhead on google maps.

THat is still dayrunable:) from richmond, I would however pack it in for an overnighter. do you all want to set a date for a weekend run?

hmmm, never been there. I would be interested if time and schedule permit and gas isn't 10/gal

I'd be up for it if the timing works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom