Potts Mountain Jeep Trail (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has there been any organized club wheeling this summer or did I just miss it all? Wouldn’t mind a quick trip to the cove or Harrisonburg.
sadly I haven't seen any club rides.... things are opened up basically bu besides the Relic Run ( which was a blast) and Coal Miner Classic ( which i couldnt attend ) I havent seen any club rides announced here..... I would love a club ride ... even if it was just an easy one before we have the Fall Crawl.

I'm for sure up to run potts some time...once I get my hidden winch installed. Seems like I'll need it without at least a rear locker

Potts is not what I’d consider a difficult trail, but it’s cumbersome enough that bringing a large group through could be painful. Combine a little local trail traffic, and you could quickly feel like you’re sitting on 495 in rush hour. I’ve been inconvenienced on trails by other large groups like Hilux Offroad bringing 25 trucks on a trail ride, I don’t want us to be “that club” (Hilux has since chilled out, from what I’ve seen).

That said, Potts could be a good location for a medium sized club meet up. There is a large field up top that could accommodate many campers. There are plenty of optional obstacles where a truck or three can pull off the main trail and play. A winch on every truck isn’t a necessity, but the more winches you have the more flexible the group is, and you’ll be able to move through the trail faster.

I think that if you limited the group to about 14 trucks, but then split them into two groups, you’d have a recipe for a fun trip. Each group of 7 comes in from a different trail head, and meet at the field in the middle for a night. 33” tires, skids, and sliders for most trucks would be recommended. A winch and bumpers would be a luxury. Just go into the ride knowing hard parts and OEM bumpers are likely to be dragged.

i like @TTViper 's idea... coming from both ends and meeting in the middle for a group camp and all would be the better way to do a large group. A very sensible way to do things

Unless a trail is dead empty, 6 is the max I'm comfortable with. I've done 3-20; 6 always seems to be the comfort point unless everybody is built to roll with some speed. Sorry for the rant, but this is a pet peeve/thorn in my side at events.

Unless a trail is dead empty, 6 is the max I'm comfortable with. I've done 3-20; 6 always seems to be the comfort point unless everybody is built to roll with some speed. Sorry for the rant, but this is a pet peeve/thorn in my side at events.
Could not agree more. It's just terrible having a large group unless everyone is very capable or the trail is easy and you can move quick enough

Looks like an awesome day. Did you guys end up camping at DB?
Yes we did! Food was awesome and so was the beer.
20210905_202828.jpg

20210905_185409.jpg

20210905_205348.jpg

Here's another video. This was the section of the trail that didn't have a bypass, and apparently there was another optional line that would of course be harder than this.

hopefully Ill get to be on a trail with Ahmad and get the star treatment too!

Last edited:
I finally got to run it this past Saturday. Unfortunally I never get any videos

Finally gave Potts a run this weekend. Kept it a small group and went with @TTViper , his brother, and @TRDdrew . 2 100s a 3rd gen and the 200.

Weather was is the mid 60s low 70s the whole time and it was perfect. Paul gave the trail a great description of a Cove green with some blue sections. We went from upper trail head to lower. Where we started it was a good 5miles of just gravel road before we actually got the the proper trail. Trail was tight and pin striping was happening as you'd expect on trails around us.

The way the trail is set up is nice, they have clearly marked signs pointing you in the direction of obstacles or staying on the easy side if you want. We did most of the obstacles that were there, a couple had trees down blocking us from trying and 2 were too tight for the big girls.

I'm glad I waited to til I had front bumper and winch before doing this trail. There was 1 section that has no bypass and was a decent challenge.

Andrew and I had to pull cable on the last hill and only reason was lack of lockers. He was lacking a front locker and I was lacking both. The climb required riding the V where passenger stayed on side of the rock and driver deals with some of the loose stuff.

The guys got a good amount of pictures and I got quite a bit of video. So after I get thru cutting it up I'll post and share here, bug them about pictures.

Damage report: minor
My rear bumper took a good hit and almost flew off on the highway.
Andrew banged up rear LCA frame mounts and front bumper.
I stumbled across you videos while researching what Potts Mountain trails were like and was pretty blown away to see a LC200 on that gnarly stuff! Thanks for this post cause you answered all my questions on your build and what damage you took. There is no way I would attempt that stuff w/ my rig in it's current manifestation and age. Glad you weren't too damaged and thanks for providing insight to what a LC200 can manage in the Mid-Atlantic (uh, I will never hit those sections of Potts Mountain, but glad someone did).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom