Potosi/Sureshot Lakes Area Intel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have any intel on the current conditions in the potosi hot spring/surshot lakes area? My buddy and I are trying to decide where to go for spring bear this weekend. Would love to get into one of those 2 basins but I'm guessing they are still fairly snowed in? Thanks

I was up near Queens Hill/Cataract Creek last weekend and was stopped by snow at around 7600'. There was significantly less snow around than last spring. Not sure how Potosi or Sureshot compares, they're both lower in elevation but more wooded.
IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

I had nothing better to do this afternoon so I decided to pop up to Sureshot Lakes to see what it was like; I had never been there before. The lakes are very accessible right now, there are a few snowy sections of road but quite a few people have been through them. It might get a little more difficult in warmer weather, it was 21º this afternoon so the snow was very hard and crusty. I was able to make it to the lakes in 2wd with tires at 25psi.
IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

There is deep snow to be found if you go looking for it though...oops.
IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1116.jpg

Good to know, this weeks "storms" might slow down our high country access but I will take it if we postpone fires a bit more.

Awesome, thanks for checking this out and filling me in @AirheadNut! We are really hoping to go up the potosi basin but this is a good gauge. Sureshot is a little higher and less southern facing but I think we are still a couple weeks out especially with this storm coming through.

i should get your number next meeting im allways down for last min spir of the moment drives in the woods once im done with busy season. im in the tobacco roots alot

I had nothing better to do this afternoon so I decided to pop up to Sureshot Lakes to see what it was like; I had never been there before. The lakes are very accessible right now, there are a few snowy sections of road but quite a few people have been through them. It might get a little more difficult in warmer weather, it was 21º this afternoon so the snow was very hard and crusty. I was able to make it to the lakes in 2wd with tires at 25psi.
View attachment 2977529

View attachment 2977530

There is deep snow to be found if you go looking for it though...oops.
View attachment 2977531

View attachment 2977532

Awesome, thanks for checking this out and filling me in @AirheadNut! We are really hoping to go up the potosi basin but this is a good gauge. Sureshot is a little higher and less southern facing but I think we are still a couple weeks out especially with this storm coming through.
almost 4' of snow in the pony area, that area is down for a couple weeks anyway

almost 4' of snow in the pony area, that area is down for a couple weeks anyway
The Albro Lake SNOTEL site is reporting 41" for just yesterday and today. I'm suspecting that will continue to grow for the next few days, too. Makes me wish my snowcat was up and running!

Yeah I asked this question just in time to trigger the biggest dump in the Tobaccos in a decade. We'll see if that area is clear and full of bear around mid-May now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom