Potentiometer Fan Speed Control (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.petesmedia.com
My half speed setting on my heater fan doesn't work. The resistor is busted. Instead of just replacing the resistor I want to fit a potentiometer so the fan speed is adjustable in more than just 3 stages (off, half, full). Are there any eletronic guru's who know how to wire this up?

You would want to wire the potentiometer with one leg to the low speed terminal of the heater switch, and the center tap of the potentiometer to the high speed terminal of the heater switch.

A word of caution though, you are going to need a BIG potentiometer to disapate the heat.

I was looking at doing the same thing... Did it work out for you? If so, what were the specs of the poteniometer you used.
I figure there has to be a way to make this work, as most other cars use this style of fan control.
Could you run it thru a relay instead?

Just replace the resistor. You will have a hard time finding a pot that can handle the current the heater will draw. If you want to really dig into this, a pulse width modulated controller with the ability to handle high current will do the trick. Search on DC motor control you will get all kinds of hits.

Here is a kit you can buy that will do the trick: http://tinyurl.com/rd9j

Last edited:
Exactly what I was thinking... updating the dash controls without trashing the simplicity or look of the dash itself.
Where are the electronic tinkerers when we need them?

The heater controls in more modern vehicles with an infinite fan speed control use the same type PWM control as I posted. You would need to get not only the dash control but all the associated wiring and control modules. It can be done. Go raid a junkyard! Another solution if you simply want more speeds is to get 4 50 watt resistors of different values like 1,1.5,2,2.5 ohms (Available from www.alliedelec.com or Digi-Key for about $8.00 each) and connect them to a high current 4 position switch. This would double the speeds available in the Cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom