Potentially buying a 100. Is this "rust" ok? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the market for a 100.

I connected with a seller on FB and the 100 meets a lot of my criteria except for one part. He told me the AC compressor on 100s profusely drip condensation. It got on the frame and it caused rust and he paid a local welder $1000 to weld gussets on it.

I am new to older cars in general so never really had to deal with frame rust, nor do I know what exactly I am looking for or if something like this compromises the strength of the frame.

Here is a pic: https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=b8d03c3cd6c7c51f9d40db83322fed27&oe=5FB6B994

Would you walk away from this?

100% walk away. That's not a little rust repair, it's a whole frame rail. Secondly, if I lived in TX I wouldn't settle for any rust. You're in prime country to find a rust free rig.

walk away
Usually the ac drip causes the sway bar mount to rust out which is on the inside of the frame rail. Which depending on who you ask isn’t that big of a deal.

what you are seeing in your photo is a lot more fixing of the frame. And the reinforcement / fix isn’t even painted. I do want to see more pictures of the rest of the frame though

Yah, even living in the Midwest and used to some rust here and there, you gotta walk away. You're in prime time rust-free country down there in Texas.

BUT, it is very odd that the fuel tank skid plate looks to be intact. That would be disentigrted on a truly rusty rig. They're paper thin. Maybe there is more truth to the story than we think. Still, there are much better out there.

Thanks guys I will pass on it then. Man TX has some crazy price range variances. I really don't know what an accurate ballpark for a LC is at the moment.
Mainly looking for something 100-200K miles, rust free, and a rig that is fairly turn key and doesnt immediately need thousands in maintenance. I figured 12-15K would be a good ballpark of that.

Probably a former frame damaged vehicle, or flood. Only a flooded vehicle would rot out that much of a frame rail.

It even has rust on rocker panel... What a sweet lie....AC condensation... He should get a Nobel Prize

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom