Potential Scam Awareness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TundraTex

SILVER Star
Threads
I recently posted a "Wanted" ad for a pre-79 4 speed trans tunnel cover. Received an email notification that a "trunkle568" replied to my thread.

The message in the email said "yes i do have this, you can pm me on ###-###-####".

Without thinking, I just texted the number to ask about the details and did not go into Mud. Some of the questions and statements were a little odd and all in lower case, but a picture was sent followed by a price.

Picture showed a decent tunnel cover, though it had been modified and would need some work. The price given was $150 shipped, which automatically sent off a red flag as that seemed way too good considering the size of the object and the typical price of relatively rust free 4 speed covers.

At this same time I received a message from another member with a trans cover and when I went into mud to respond, I noticed that I did not have a message from that first individual, nor was there anything on my feed showing a reply. Very odd. So then I searched the member name. Nothing. I also clicked on the link to the member name in the email notification and it showed that the "user was not available".

I then let this individual know that I was going to go with the second members offer (as I actually know the guy and he's relatively close). He then became pretty aggressive saying he could lower the price if needed, and as soon as he got my info and payment he'd ship it right away.

All I'm saying is be careful out there. Even with in the confines of this holy site there are potential bad actors out there. This individual may or may not be legit, but it smelled like a trap, so just keep your eyes open and do your due diligence.

I always check the username and join date. Woody and gang seem to be pretty good at weeding these idiots out pretty quickly but sometimes one gets by for a few days. Glad you didn't get taken for a ride.

Scammers need some spanking...

You can check if the picture they send can be found on Google images or in another thread here. I had a very similar exchange with a scammer on here and finding the same picture of the axle he was trying to sell me gave it away early on. I only searched because the picture looked familiar to me and was posted before in someone else's build thread. Chances are they don't actually have what they are offering and need to steal the picture from somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom