Potential purchase of hj60... any suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There is an hj60 for sale in my area that im considering buying. i already have a 40 series with a 2f in it, and the owner and i have been talking about a potential trade with cash for out trucks.

the hj60 has over 400,000 kms on the body, and unknown kms on the engine, which was bought by a tlc shop nearby a few years ago and swapped into the truck.

i went and looked at the rig last night, took it for a test drive and checked around under the hood. i did some basic checks on the engine, using instructions off a thread on this site. I opened the oil cap to see check for blow by, didnt seem overly significant and didnt get any oil splatter on my hands. i disconnected the air inlet hose and it was creating good suction on my hand. the truck blew quite a bit of white smoke upon start for about 2 minutes til it was warm, but once warmed up didnt blow anymore white or black smoke going up hills. when i test drove the truck i put in first and let it idle down a steep hill, the engine kept the truck going really slow, which is a sign of good compression? it handled pretty well on the highway, cruising nicely in 5th gear at 100km/h. it seemed to have less power uphill than my buddies bj60, is that normal for the 2h?

if anyone has suggestions as to things to check, or what any of the above information might indicate as far as lifespan of the truck might be, it would be appreciated!

id like to use the truck as a daily diver and Im willing to put some money into it.

thanks

Do a compression check. With unknown millage on an engine known for having ring and piston issues it's a gamble at any rate.

It should not smoke white on cold start. Issue with the glow plugs or possibly low compression.

There is an hj60 for sale in my area that im considering buying. i already have a 40 series with a 2f in it, and the owner and i have been talking about a potential trade with cash for out trucks.

the hj60 has over 400,000 kms on the body, and unknown kms on the engine, which was bought by a tlc shop nearby a few years ago and swapped into the truck.

i went and looked at the rig last night, took it for a test drive and checked around under the hood. i did some basic checks on the engine, using instructions off a thread on this site. I opened the oil cap to see check for blow by, didnt seem overly significant and didnt get any oil splatter on my hands. i disconnected the air inlet hose and it was creating good suction on my hand. the truck blew quite a bit of white smoke upon start for about 2 minutes til it was warm, but once warmed up didnt blow anymore white or black smoke going up hills. when i test drove the truck i put in first and let it idle down a steep hill, the engine kept the truck going really slow, which is a sign of good compression? it handled pretty well on the highway, cruising nicely in 5th gear at 100km/h. it seemed to have less power uphill than my buddies bj60, is that normal for the 2h?

if anyone has suggestions as to things to check, or what any of the above information might indicate as far as lifespan of the truck might be, it would be appreciated!

id like to use the truck as a daily diver and Im willing to put some money into it.

thanks

You should ask about it on the VI Cruisers forum: https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/ca-bc-vancouver-island-cruisers.104/ People may know the truck, and certainly there will be some who would be willing to come look it over with you. We have a meet at the 6 mile Thursday July 23rd at 7pm if you'd like to come by. :beer: You are definitely welcome!

It should not smoke white on cold start...............

My BJ40 always has done that Wheelingnoob.... right from when I bought it with only 40,000kms on the clock too.

And Elpaka ... I'm not sure I'd ever want to swap a 40-series for any other vehicle .. but the only other thing you've said that concerns me is "less power than my buddies BJ60". (Perhaps that BJ60 is turboed?)

:beer:

Last edited:
Well my brothers 2H with 450k kms on it does not smoke any white at cold start at all right down to - 15c. I had a parts truck that did and found that the glow system was not working. Would smoke for 2-3min on cold start.

Well my brothers 2H with 450k kms on it does not smoke any white at cold start at all right down to - 15c. I had a parts truck that did and found that the glow system was not working. Would smoke for 2-3min on cold start.

That's interesting...

I wonder what other people's experiences are.

Mine will stumble and smoke at 0 oC. Much more so at -15oC ... not that it's ever been quite that cold. (My 12V starter would struggle at -15 oC too I'm sure.)

:)

All the 2Hs I've had have only ever blown white (and started on the corresponding 4-5 cylinders) when I've had faulty glow plugs or glow system. When all was working correctly, there was just a puff of black.

All the 2Hs I've had have only ever blown white (and started on the corresponding 4-5 cylinders) when I've had faulty glow plugs or glow system. When all was working correctly, there was just a puff of black.

I wonder if this is a difference between 6 cylinders (HJ) versus 4 cylinders (BJ)? .... I think a six-cylinder engine should indeed start easier ...
But then again (thinking more about it) I wouldn't have expected this much difference.:meh:

I know I did get rather poor compression figures when I measured them a few years ago... But then again it is hard to believe they would have been poor way back in 1981 at just 40,000kms (and it still produced a similar degree of white smoke on a cold start back then as I recall).

:idea: New idea! More likely (I think) is that it is the difference between the early and late diesels. For instance my injection timing is 10 degrees BTDC and in Aug 1980 I believe the B-series went to 14 degrees with the key aim of improving emissions.

So perhaps the early H diesels (as opposed to the later 2H diesels) smoked more on cold starts? (noting that an early H engine was 12 degrees BTDC whereas the later 2H went to 16 degrees.)

I've certainly been around a number of BJ42 Land Cruisers (with the later model 3B) and found they've always started cleaner than my BJ40 (but I haven't experienced many HJ cruisers)..

idea! More likely (I think) is that it is the difference between the early and late diesels. For instance my injection timing is 10 degrees BTDC and in Aug 1980 I believe the B-series went to 14 degrees with the key aim of improving emissions.

So perhaps the early H diesels (as opposed to the later 2H diesels) smoked more on cold starts? (noting that an early H engine was 12 degrees BTDC whereas the later 2H went to 16 degrees.)

I actually didn't know that there was a timing difference between the early and late engines. That's probably what makes the difference. I haven't been around an early H engine, so I don't know if they're a bit more smoky. There you go! I've learned something today :)

That's interesting...

I wonder what other people's experiences are.

Mine will stumble and smoke at 0 oC. Much more so at -15oC ... not that it's ever been quite that cold. (My 12V starter would struggle at -15 oC too I'm sure.)

:)

Mine has smoked like mad when it was remotely cold, and like hell when really cold. And then it had good compression and ran very well when warmed up. I still remember the campground in Zion in the spring a few years back, where we laid a smoke screen all over that the Marines would have been proud of...

Mine has smoked like mad when it was remotely cold, and like hell when really cold. And then it had good compression and ran very well when warmed up. I still remember the campground in Zion in the spring a few years back, where we laid a smoke screen all over that the Marines would have been proud of...

I hope Elpaka that you don't mind this diversion into "white smoke on cold starts.... But it has sure got my interest.

So just to be clear, this is your 1HD-FT that smokes like mad when remotely cold Jan? And, like me, you're as sure as you can be that you don't have preheat issues/problems?

I hope Elpaka that you don't mind this diversion into "white smoke on cold starts.... But it has sure got my interest.

So just to be clear, this is your 1HD-FT that smokes like mad when remotely cold Jan? And, like me, you're as sure as you can be that you don't have preheat issues/problems?

No, sorry I was unclear. That was the truck before the current one with the 1HDFT. It was a 1984 central american spec HJ60, with a Turbo-glide turboed 2H.

No smoke with the 1HDFT at all, but it has not been in the cold yet either.

cheers,
jan

It was explained to me that white smoke at start up could be a blown head gasket. coolant leakage being burned off at start up. Rough idle?

It was explained to me that white smoke at start up could be a blown head gasket. coolant leakage being burned off at start up. Rough idle?

With my BJ40, my preheat works well and I have no coolant leakage issues and my white smoke is definitely unburnt diesel.

At cold temperatures she just doesn't want to leap immediately into "firing regularly on all four cylinders". Instead she must always shake, shudder, splutter and belch for a few seconds (that always seems far longer) to tell me she's cold and not very happy about it..

Lucky I live in a windy city and don't have room for the old girl in ourr garage. So the white clouds soon dissipate...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom