Potential LX470 purchase - such as thing as too much service history? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1st time poster here but have been observing from afar and have been impressed with the expertise on here!! i am considering a purchase of an LX470 with 185k miles. i pulled the service history through Lexus and it looks like the previous owner (there was only 1) exclusively took this to the lexus dealership for service. that seems to be a good thing, but the list is 36 pages long?!?! seems like a lengthy list which has me on edge thinking that maybe this is a lemon. most recently, they noted the AC is not blowing cold air and the lines need to be replaced. i didn't note anything else too major, but want to be sure the extensive service history is a positive, and not a sign this thing might be a bad buy. any thoughts or feedback is appreciated!!

IMO, totally depends on what the service items were, how anal the original LX owner was and how little they could do for themselves. The A/C not working is a big deal and, to me, would require a significant discount on price to make that deal work.

1st time poster here but have been observing from afar and have been impressed with the expertise on here!! i am considering a purchase of an LX470 with 185k miles. i pulled the service history through Lexus and it looks like the previous owner (there was only 1) exclusively took this to the lexus dealership for service. that seems to be a good thing, but the list is 36 pages long?!?! seems like a lengthy list which has me on edge thinking that maybe this is a lemon. most recently, they noted the AC is not blowing cold air and the lines need to be replaced. i didn't note anything else too major, but want to be sure the extensive service history is a positive, and not a sign this thing might be a bad buy. any thoughts or feedback is appreciated!!
No such thing as too much service history unless those repairs were done because of rust or neglect and there will be more failures in the near future.

Was the long list of work done repairs or maintenance?

Sounds like the previous owner took care of his rig and funneled money to Lexus to keep up with everything.

x2 on inquiring about rust. Another red flag would be repair requests, electrical in nature..... i.e. flood vehicle.

thanks for the feedback. the vast majority is routine maintenance or things i'd expect like brakes. the others that have popped are A/C not blowing cold and being attributed to the lines needing replaced, replaced the ignition cylinder, replaced the CV boots, and a few mentions of lights (bulbs?). seems like routine stuff as i dig in to it more. will be sure to account for AC repairs if we end up going down the route. trying to determine if worth it to spend $7k more for 570 with less miles, but more owners and a couple years based in the NE part of the country.....

If 07 LX470 with 50k miles on clock, yes to much happening and I look for why/what/when!

If has 180K miles and each "page" is one service call. That would indicates a perfect service history (see the million mile Tundra). Which Toyota/Lexus basically has something in PM schedule (mostly fluids & filters) every 5K (severe use, 7K miles for mild use). IMHO all 100 series see severe use!

I've one with about 50 two side pages (100 pages) and doesn't included first 100K miles. But that really does reveal much, does it. Yr, region of use, mileage, type of use, how many service calls and what done is what we need to know.

There are things I do not like seeing. Additionally for me; Each item in history not just fluids and filters, points me to where I need to look first in inspection and for corrective action. I like well lubed virgins, above all... I spent anywhere from 2 to 5 hours studying history's, it can be very revealing. Then I inspect, inspect inspect.

Inspection is key. It is and art!

thanks for the feedback. the vast majority is routine maintenance or things i'd expect like brakes. the others that have popped are A/C not blowing cold and being attributed to the lines needing replaced, replaced the ignition cylinder, replaced the CV boots, and a few mentions of lights (bulbs?). seems like routine stuff as i dig in to it more. will be sure to account for AC repairs if we end up going down the route. trying to determine if worth it to spend $7k more for 570 with less miles, but more owners and a couple years based in the NE part of the country.....
AC line replacement is not routine.

I like well lubed virgins
1613582829598.gif

That could just mean the previous owner cared for the car. Some people wait until the car literally won't run before taking it to a mechanic. Some other people take their car into the dealer to inspect the wiper blades.

I would not balk at 100 pages of service, but I would review them to make sure there weren't engine replacements, transmission failures, etc...

It all depends on what's on the maintenance records.

Oil change every 3 months, wheel rotation twice a year, wiper blades, factory maintenance, etc... I don't see an issue.

Electrical gremlins, AC, AHC, engine, transmission issues... I'd say thank you and be on my merry way.

thanks for everyone's feedback on this. makes a ton of sense that service history in and of itself is not a bad thing, but there could be warning signs within. With the amount of data available to buyers these days, it's a great advantage, but can also make your head spin to try to find a used car that checks all the boxes (service history, number of owners, location of vehicle during lifespan, miles, etc etc). i guess its good problem to have, and beats the alternative of making a decision with limited information!!

Do you have the ability to copy/paste the service history into some posts to get more accurate opinions?

Service history is good, but how about the truck as it sits today? Perhaps a PPI is in order to reveal more information, such as:

1. any driveline clucks/thuds
2. state of the squishy bits like bushings
3. # of graduation ticks on the AHC L to H test
4. long term fuel trims
5. condition of rear brake shoes (don't be shocked if they are toast, many are)
6. correct functionality of CDL switch/mechanism and ability to successfully get into and out of 4L
7. any signs of corrosion/rust in both front kick panels (where loads of fuses and relays are located)
8. etc

Visit the sleeofroad.com website to find a comprehensive checklist to get the max value out of your PPI money.

Totally depends on how much you are paying for it as well. What year is the LX? I bought mine from the (almost) original owner and it seems like yours. TONS of records. It can really make your head spin. The records can also be hard to read. Often it will tell you a job was performed, but other times it will cut off the comment and so you really aren't sure if anything was done. I got the dealer to email me the actual invoice list and it totalled $27,000 during PO ownership. Are there still issues? Yes. But to me, it's more important that the owner took it in for stuff rather than ignore it.

I will say this though. After reading the invoices, I am convinced dealers just throw parts at the problem. I don't think they really do much troubleshooting. So if you see a bunch of repairs, it's likely some of them weren't even needed and the dealer was just throwing parts at it to try and fix the issue.

I found it easiest to open up each record then copy it all into a doc and then edit the fluff. I wish that the dealer attached the paper workorders with tech comments to the service history. I had to have plenty discussion with service advisors on editing tech comments.

quick update for the crew here - i received my pre purchase inspection back this morning (provided by LemonSquad - they did an amazing job!!) and the frame, suspension components, and others are completely destroyed with rust. needless to say i will be walking away from this one and appreciate the insights from everyone who weighed in. the inspection uncovered some imperfections in the paint that weren't showing up on the listing as well. those PPI's are money well spent!! I will keep looking - but may shift to a Sequoia so i can get something newer and avoid some of these issues that come about with age (i know rust is not a given with age, but things certainly start to wear out in time).

My 2003 LX470 had the same issue with the AC lines, the Lexus mechanic told me its a very common problem as placement of the aluminium hoses cause them to corrode and leak. I had them replace all of them. $1200

My 2003 LX470 had the same issue with the AC lines, the Lexus mechanic told me its a very common problem as placement of the aluminium hoses cause them to corrode and leak. I had them replace all of them. $1200
thanks - I'm afraid the AC lines would be the least of my worries with this one. 2006 with 185K miles for $16k and I can see why. i've never seen so much rust under a car before!

Lots and lots of dealer service or inspection records would only be particularly scary if the suggested services weren't done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom