Postponed to early 2020 - Big Bend Overland Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Volunteer

Bayou State Land Cruiser Association
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bslca.com
Several folks are interested in doing an overland trip to Big Bend National Park this fall. I'm going to collect some information from several resources here on Mud who have made the trip, discuss dates and put a plan together much like the High Water Mark Trail Trip we did last spring. More to come ......

12hr drive from Lafayette
Looking at a 9 Day Trip basically drive up one weekend, spend the week touring Big Bend and surrounding area and spend the next weekend driving back.

Big Bend National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Scenic Drives - Big Bend National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Last edited:
Studying :D

Trails to look into.

Black Gap Trail – scenic not very technical

Old Ore Road – scenic not very technical

Christmas Mountain Range – highly rated views not very technical

TOP 15. Things to Do in Big Bend National Park

also check out Mc Donald observatory not far from BB.:)

Also pull out your Toyota Trails Mark/April Issue if you haven't read it yet there is an article on Big Bend it starts on page 10 :)

So basically this would be a expedition style. Self sufficient everyday. Bring in all food, water, fuel. Sleeping "on the trail" every night, meaning not at a hotel. This would be mostly easy, unimproved roads, with the need for 4wd at times.

Multiple river crossing possible if has rained.

Temperatures look amazing for the time of year on average.
Big Bend National Park November Weather 2018 - AccuWeather Forecast for TX 79834

Little preview map of some of the trails.
Maps - Big Bend National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Cool little video showing the couple hour long "Black Gap Trail" 2012 though.

New version.

I spent 4 days there the last week of December. Camping can be a problem... the permits are given on a first serve basis. Be inline early! Two nights I could not get a permit. I four wheeled up some dry river beds and camped... turned out to be the best camping of the whole trip! Though I don't recommend it.

I spent 4 days there the last week of December. Camping can be a problem... the permits are given on a first serve basis. Be inline early! Two nights I could not get a permit. I four wheeled up some dry river beds and camped... turned out to be the best camping of the whole trip! Though I don't recommend it.

Thanks for the heads up will definitely keep that in mind :cheers: though I certainly don't mind camping off of a trail if needed.

They frown on camping off the trail... but whats a guy to do when its getting dark and your in the middle of the park? Also keep in mind there are no campfires allowed in the park. :frown: That said, its a fun trip! I'd do it again.

I even met some cool overlanders from Belgium and France!

They frown on camping off the trail... but whats a guy to do when its getting dark and your in the middle of the park? Also keep in mind there are no campfires allowed in the park. :frown: That said, its a fun trip! I'd do it again.

I even met some cool overlanders from Belgium and France!

Couldn't agree more try your best to adhere to the code and regulations but hopefully they understand when your out of options. I did read about the campfire ban it sucks but I understand we have to deal with that often. Glad to hear you enjoyed the trip whats your must see or favorite points of the park from your trip? Always cool to meet some worldly travelers and hear their stories :cheers:

20171230_174613-1.jpg
That's a good question...

I would make sure to top off on gas in Marathon. Gas in the park is expensive! It was $3.50 a gallon on New Years Eve.

Go both directions on Black Gap. It's the best 4x4 road in the park. One direction doesn't do it justice. I spent the night in a dry river bed on this road.

Lots of good hiking available and ruins to see. As well as river rafting and kayaking.

There's a great motel in Lajitas, it was once an army post. Say hello to Clay Henry the goat/mayor of Lajitas while your there.

Go to "downtown" Terlingua on the way out and have lunch and an adult beverage.

There's a state park adjacent to the national park. They allow campfires.

December was a great time to be there. Mid 40's at night/ low 70's during the day.

Don't drink the water and take LOTS of beer!

20171230_094630.jpg
20171231_122040.jpg
20171229_123643.jpg

Awesome @Anvil thanks for sharing and for the photos :cheers:

Last edited:
any idea on the dates yet ?

sounds like something we might be interested to join if we decide to drive the GX or the 80 back from AZ to LA :hmm:

any idea on the dates yet ?

sounds like something we might be interested to join if we decide to drive the GX or the 80 back from AZ to LA :hmm:

Awesome :cheers:, yes we are looking at November before thanksgiving because it looks like the temps start cooling off then :) We'll hash it out some more in the next month or so.

Last edited:
I will bring it up at the meeting this Sunday @elephantsCBR but with everything going on right now with Ms Jean and coming up this fall I will reschedule this trip to spring 2019.

Gonna watch this one to see if the dates work out. Looks like a great trip.

Great to hear Mike :cheers: it will surely be a good one and on an good note we won't have to pack the chainsaws, gas and oil for this one :D. We're gonna make sure its cool when we do this trip I heard from a few that did it in the summer that said the scenery and trails were great but camping in that heat really sucked. A few images linuxgod in the 200 forum posted of his visit this summer.
upload_2018-9-26_11-13-45.png
:clap:
upload_2018-9-26_11-19-30.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom