Events/Trails Postponed: GWT-Cherry to Williams (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pitch

Driving from the 2nd row
SILVER Star
Threads
****Trip POSTPONED****

Gonna spend a long day running a nice section of the Great Western Trail.

Our route will climb from hwy 260 in the Verde Valley up the Black Mtns to Cherry. Then, across the spine of the Black Mtns to Mingus Mtn, cross 89A, through the Smiley Rock Trail, then Perkinsville. We'll lunch at the Verde River, then climb out via Sand Flat, and up the rocky, ledgy climb towards Pine Flat, Sycamore Pt, and back to I-40 in Williams.

It will be a longish day, but have several bail out points, places to camp, and a bit of history along the way.

Meeting location will be the Conoco Gas Station at the NE corner of the Hwy 260/Cherry Creek Road Roundabout, between I-17 and Cottonwood. Next gas will be in Williams... easily doable on a tank of gas. Bring lunch for the trail.

Stock rigs will want skids and rocker protection. 2 distinct areas of tougher trail, and a lot of scenic dirt roads in between.

Last edited:
Gonna spend a long day running a nice section of the Great Western Trail.

Our route will climb from hwy 260 in the Verde Valley up the Black Mtns to Cherry. Then, across the spine of the Black Mtns to Mingus Mtn, cross 89A, through the Smiley Rock Trail, then Perkinsville. We'll lunch at the Verde River, then climb out via Sand Flat, and up the rocky, ledgy climb towards Pine Flat, Sycamore Pt, and back to I-40 in Williams.

It will be a longish day, but have several bail out points, places to camp, and a bit of history along the way.

Meeting location and details to be updated later, expect 9am. Stock rigs will want skids and rocker protection. 2 distinct areas of tougher trail, and a lot of scenic dirt roads in between.
Sounds tempting.... I was planning on camping near 260/87 intersection Friday night anyway. I'll let you know if I can join. I'm sure there are a few good Saturday night camp spots near the end of the trail and/or along the way?

I am a little bit concerned about range on this one. I usually get about 200 miles before I'm feeling pressure to fill up, maybe less if we are idling or going really slowly.
Should be fine filling up in Camp Verde and then again in Williams?

I am a little bit concerned about range on this one. I usually get about 200 miles before I'm feeling pressure to fill up, maybe less if we are idling or going really slowly.
Same

Sounds tempting.... I was planning on camping near 260/87 intersection Friday night anyway. I'll let you know if I can join. I'm sure there are a few good Saturday night camp spots near the end of the trail and/or along the way?
TONS of spots up on the rim above Sycamore Canyon. Nice and cool, at about 6200-7200' elevation.

I just updated the first post, it should clarify things. We are meeting at a gas station, and Williams should be within range of any vehicle on the trip. Hope to see you on Saturday!

Eric, I'm moving my camping plans East for this weekend. Have a great run and we'll see you on another trip soon!

Looks like waning interest, and some other stuff coming up, so I am bagging the trip. Perhaps later in the fall with more color, and more lead time for interested parties.

I'll repost when I pick a date to reschedule, thanks for interest.

Looks like waning interest, and some other stuff coming up, so I am bagging the trip. Perhaps later in the fall with more color, and more lead time for interested parties.

I'll repost when I pick a date to reschedule, thanks for interest.
I got my whole checklist complete this week in preparation!

I guess I'm ready for the next one though!

Same. I already bought beer in preparation. That’s commitment.
Y’all can ditch the parkas and head down south to @mtn biker ’s wild burro run
He is allowing other-than-40s now.

Think the rocker protection scared me off. Normally not that concerned about damage but 2020 has turned into a year most want to forget. The snake blinders on my 89 FJ62 are hard to replace.

Also learned last year on the Casner Mountain trip that the CSCers are a tough crowd when it comes to beer. I'm sure Eric @Pitch knows what I'm talking about. Will have to be sure and bring a brown paper bag to cover the bottle.:rolleyes:

Section between 169 and 89A is easy. Cross the road and things change at Smiley Rock. Not sure about points North of there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom