Events/Trails POSTPONED --- February 2020 ROTM - Saturday 2/22/2020 - Montana Mountain (Updated Details) (1 Viewer)

Which trail would you prefer?

• Montana Mountain - Gold Canyon

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • Broken Arrow - Sedona

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Outlaw OHV Trail - Sedona

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cracker Jack Mine OHV Trail - Payson

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TheGrrrrr

GOLD Star
Threads
February ROTM Details (Updated Feb 21, 2020)

Date: Saturday February 22nd, 2020. POSTPONED DUE TO FLASH FLOOD WATCH AND MORE THAN 1.5" OF EXPECTED RAIN IN THE AREA

NO TRIP IS WORTH PUTTING PEOPLE IN DANGER OF FLASH FLOODING, SO I AM GOING TO PUSH THIS OUT A WEEK OR TWO. STAY TUNED.

Trail: Montana Mountain - Counter Clockwise - Stocker Friendly, Water Crossings Likely (<12 Inches), low risk of pin striping.

Agenda:

8:00am - Meet up at the Circle K just inside Superior city limits (1113 US-60, Superior, AZ 85173) to fuel up, grab snacks and roll call.
8:30am - Proceed to 33°16'59.7"N 111°09'55.9"W (Parking lot at 60/Arboretum Way) for air down, comms check and staging.

Comms: Having a radio is not required. For those who have it, HAM Radio (146.500 MHz) will be primary, if anyone has extra handhelds they might come in handy. I should have CB (Ch. 15) as well.

Etiquette: I would encourage everyone to use their rearview mirrors: If you lose sight of the person behind you, slow or stop until they are back in view. If everyone does this, we will stay together and ensure nobody gets separated from the group.

Weather: Looks like about 1" of rain off/on most of the day with high temps breaking 60f. Expect mud on the trail and some water in the washes! Should be fun and no dust!

Plan: Have fun, don't get lost, make a few stops, have a trailside snack or some lunch, keep a leisurely pace and enjoy the ride.

Must Haves: Patience, this is my first time leading a run.

Roll Call:

I volunteered to put together the February ROTM and the best day for me is Saturday, February 22nd. I don't likely have time to do an overnight, so I have looked at some 1-day options I've been wanting to do or haven't done in a while. Certainly many of you have done these before, but I know some of the newer folks probably haven't. Also this is my first time leading a ROTM, so I'm not looking to get too crazy.

Montana mountain looks like a good trail and its close but I haven't done it before.

Sedona is obviously a bit of a hike, but if we got an early start, we could do Outlaw in the morning then grab some lunch and folks that want to tackle Broken Arrow could do that in the afternoon. Broken Arrow probably won't be an option for stock vehicles, I would expect 2"lift/32's would be needed for most, but I've only ever done it in my Range Rover.

Cracker Jack seems to be well reviewed and has been on my radar for a while but I haven't done it. Sounds like most of it is pretty tame terrain with about 3 miles of rocks and ledges at the end. Reviews indicate decent clearance and 4wd would be sufficient.

Last edited:
Montana Mt is a great, stocker trail, with cool views that is close the valley. It's a great half day out [with a picnic], awesome photo opts, or set up to camp for the night [ for the usual that like to lay over and pot luck ] If the weather is "bad," you may get some snow to experience! Wonderful trail to get out and decompress! Great first trail for folks that have been on the fence!

Montana Mt is a great, stocker trail, with cool views that is close the valley. It's a great half day out [with a picnic], awesome photo opts, or set up to camp for the night [ for the usual that like to lay over and pot luck ] If the weather is "bad," you may get some snow to experience! Wonderful trail to get out and decompress! Great first trail for folks that have been on the fence!

That’s a pretty strong endorsement and sounds ideal for what I’m shooting for. I think that gets my vote, but I’ll give the community some time to weigh in.

agree with Montana. The northern runs would be great in warmer months though - maybe another run you can set up in June???

Yeah i was curious with it being winter (snow potential at higher elevation), are there any lower elevation trails that might be better for a February run?

I voted Montana mountain and would be a maybe. I leave for Cabo for 7 days on the 23rd so may not make the run! But I love Montana mountain. I think it was my first run with the club 4 ish years ago. And I have not done that run since!

I would be in for a day trip or an overnight.

I just might be down for this. I just have to work out the last few bugs in the LC and I will be down to go.

Montana Mountain starting from the East.
Something to keep in mind as the day nears- the backside reaches ~4500'+.

2012 April rotm found us with a surprise in the weather. Snowing at the top! Lots of trucks on that run back when I had my 60 (red one in the back of the caravan)March 2012 monthly trail run

0312run~2-320x240.jpg

Last edited:
I can't wait until I'm able to go on one of the ROTMs... Sadly I work every Saturday & Sunday. Hopefully sometime soon I'll be able to request a day off so I can join everyone and become more involved with the club.

On a whim my buddy and I did this trail last week, in my mildly lifted 4Runner, was a great first trail to do out here. My Charlie Wells book is from 2012 and had it listed as Green but I see they’ve upgraded it to Blue on their website. Nothing too difficult at all but the middle roughly 1/3 (ascending to and then down the switchbacks) will definitely slow down a large group. We did it clockwise from the west entering off Queen Valley Rd. and it took the better part of 5 hours but I was really taking my time and checking the map at every waypoint, totally did not want to get lost first time out :) No snow at all and I definitely plan on doing this again with the group next month.

I’ve done Montana Mountain more times than I can count. It is fun and does have great views. If you start on the east, those intimidated by shelf roads will find it more comforting to go up, vs down if you start on the west. The half day is a misnomer if you do the full loop. Tell the family you’ll be back in the evening. The only downside is it is very quad and side-by-side popular so expect oncoming and passing traffic. I am possibly in. Thanks for organizing a run.

I'm in for the 22nd. I think that Murf led us on our first annual relic run here two years ago, then last year's relic run was a different area more over towards Globe.

Montana Mountain is the run.

We will do it from the East for a nice change of pace.

Agenda:

8:00am - Meet up at the Circle K just inside Superior city limits (1113 US-60, Superior, AZ 85173) to fuel up, grab snacks and roll call.

8:30am - Proceed to 33°16'59.7"N 111°09'55.9"W (Parking lot at 60/Arboretum Way) for air down, comms check and staging.

I did a pre-run last weekend and would estimate about 4.5 hours for a group making stops. Could be done in 3 hours running solo. The trail is stock vehicle friendly but will require careful driving for some. With a 2" lift, I didn't have any areas that were of concern, even when taking bad lines. Trail traffic wasn't too bad, but I was the only rig doing the trail from the east.

More details to come as the date approaches...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom