1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

&%^*@ Postal service burns me up.

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by flintknapper, Jul 25, 2005.

1. flintknapper

flintknapper

3 lost letters in 10 months. Two with Money Orders in them...ALL to the east coast.

Before someone tells me how many letters, packages, etc.... the USPS delivers on time or "doesn't" lose or tear up....tell me how many they DO!

Three in 10 months! What are the odds? Anyone else "snakebit" like this, or is this par for the postal service. This will be the third time I fill out the form and NEVER hear from them again. Cancel M/O and issue new one.

They don't lose my bills, I get scads of junk mail no problem....but let me put a M/O inside a letter...inside a good legal size envelope...address it clearly...tape the seal just to be sure....1st class postage and drop it off at the main post office, and its chances of getting there are dismal at best. You shouldn't have to put tracking on a normal letter.

Do they have a big washer and dryer they put the mail through? I occasionally lose a sock that way... (never to be found), so I understand some things are inexplicable. Sheeeeeessh!

2. gulp3000

gulp3000

Wow, that sucks. I can honestly say that I have never had problem with something I mailed getting lost. $0.37 to get something anywhere in the country is a great deal, but only if it arrives.

UPS & Fed Ex have lost several items for me.

3. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

No disrespect to postal workers, I am sure their percentage and volume is probably pretty good (won't go into detail as per your request)...

Getting burned 3 times in a short amount of time should be an anomaly.

It must be high enough that corporate America is concerned, unless it was local, and unimportant, my last 3 jobs which deals with contract and time sensitive documents, all sent things via commercial carriers.

Otherwise, it is too easy for the other party to say it was lost...

Personally I've been bitten once, a tax return filed on time, but then returned due to a "lack of postage". IRS was not happy, but finally did accept the postdate on the envelope and a statement from the post office that there was enough postage, and the penalty was eliminated.

Only took about 40 phone calls and a couple of dozen hours to get it all straight.

4. swank60

swank60

I think they're out to get you.

:D

5. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    When sending money orders I always get delivery confirmation or send it priority mail. I've never haa a priority mail package not show up, sent over 1000 items that way.

Sorry!

6. Desertdave

Desertdave

It's the tape!

Just use the lick 'em stick 'em, that way it won't stand out. Better yet, leave it unsealed. Hey, if they are going to lose it, it can't hurt to experiment ;) .

I have had issues at times, but I think they were related to the letter carrier being less than optimal. Can't recall an issue with dropping something off at the postoffice.

I do tend to use electronic means whenever possible to buy stuff. I only use about 3 checks a month, everything else is paid electronically. That, too, seems to have reduced the frequency of 'payment issues'.

7. flintknapper

flintknapper

They've done a good job then.

8. krzyabncanuck

krzyabncanuck USFS HOTSHOT GOLD Star

I don't know for sure who it was but everytime I was deployed overseas I would only get 1/3 to 1/2 of my mail / packages. That really stinks when you know whats coming and it never makes it to ya or you get it when you get back home 9 months after the fact.

9. Jman

Jman

I think you need to work on your handwriting. . . . .

10. yooper

yooper SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I read somewhere that the actually lose or misroute 15% of all mail.

11. Koffer

Koffer

12. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

I had the postal service lose a DVD from Netflix. They sent the envelope, but with nothing inside. Somehow (allegedly) one of their machines was able to remove the DVD while not breaking any of the seals on the envelope :confused:. They sent the Netflix envelope to me in a plastic bag which had a message printed on it explaining that they "damaged" my mail.

WTF? Netflix was cool about it, but now I feel like they've got me on the "potential DVD poacher" list...

13. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    I got one of those once. It was a package though... which contained two ceramic mugs! the box was mutilated beyond recognition and they wrote "sorry for the damage" across the top.... WTF is that? You destroy a package and you're 'sorry'? Good thing those cups weren't broken or I would've gone to see my post master.

Tards.

14. swank60

swank60

Ahhh, that's nothing. I had two distant cousins that worked at the post office years ago - hardcore white trash dudes - and when packages would come through, they'd tear into them. If it was during the holidays, and they knew a package contained cookies or whatever, they'd open them up and sit and eat them in the sorting rooms...same with birthday cards - they'd pop open one or two to see if grandma was sending along a little birthday money. (and then they'd eat that, too...)

We don't have much to do with that side of the family, truth be told.

15. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

I had to have some test results for my insurance license lost once. Put me in a real tight bind, called the company and they sent a second set via USPS and they were lost too. UGH. Third set got here just fine via UPS.

Friday I was mailing a series of apps from our office to TX via USPS and the lady at the counter turned our secretary away because we used the wrong envelope. What a joke, she could have pointed her to the correct envelope, no big deal. So it goes UPS today.

BUT, that being said, most of the time I do have good luck with them. I just find when it is ultra important they tend to loose it, cant explain it...

16. mabrodis

mabrodis

I've gotten hundreds of letters through the USPS just fine, all delivered ontime and were in perfect condition, on some the stamps hadn't even been crossed out, so I could reuse them...so nice!

:flipoff2:

I use the USPS for all my toffee stuff, partly because of the free boxes, and partly because they usually are faster to where the toffee is going, ever send something ground to Maine...it can be like 6-7 business days at the worst, that is a REALLY long time, I could drive there and back in that time!

17. lingo

lingo

but not for $.37

mike

18. red dirt squirt

red dirt squirt

lost 2 checks....sent one, lost it....sent another....they lost it again....finally said f it and drove the damn check 500 miles. they get paid to do that too.

19. Jman

Jman

Uh, have you ever driven in Maine? :rolleyes: Everyone drives over 85 mph, until they catch up to the one old clunker going under 50 :mad: so they spend the rest of the week tooling around that guy on a two-lane highway until they get to their turnoff. Your toffee probably makes it to Maine in a day or two, but then spends the rest of the time working it's way along the local roads. :D

20. mabrodis

mabrodis

Good point, but mailing toffee isn't $0.37 either...a 3 lb box is about $10 to Maine, for that cost I could drive....nearly home from work.. :D