Post your wheeling damage pics (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I guess a lot of this depends on your financial condition in life I can see someone like me having a $10,000 off-road vehicle to bang around in as an extra vehicle I can see a guy who’s worth 100 million Dollars, drive a new Land Cruiser set up for off-roadIng and using it for that. just wondering how many people of average income use their main mode of transportation and also off-road it giving it a beating?

I guess a lot of this depends on your financial condition in life I can see someone like me having a $10,000 off-road vehicle to bang around in as an extra vehicle I can see a guy who’s worth 100 million Dollars, drive a new Land Cruiser set up for off-roadIng and using it for that. just wondering how many people of average income use their main mode of transportation and also off-road it giving it a beating?

I think the shots I posted may give the wrong impression. All the bumper and slider shots will take about 5 minutes to “fix,” & the bent metal underneath will be left as is... except a bit of rustoleum. The skids I consider temporary until I can add a stronger set from BudBuilt or ?

It looks bad in the photos, but I still got compliments on my “new truck” at two different gas stations on the way home. Not kidding! Ha! :) So it’s really pretty much fine. I’ve decided I don’t care how chewed up my Rock Warriors get as long as they aren’t cracked.

I wheel on a teachers salary, and bought my Land Cruiser for less than half what a new one would cost. I have to save my pennies for major modifications. I, too, cannot imagine wantonly bashing and $85,000 vehicle… That’s why I buy them for half price in excellent used condition. :)

Really the only damaged example from above that will cost me anything is the bent rear control arm. Everything else can be fixed with a bit of sandpaper and rattle can satin black.

I am actually pretty careful about expensive damage, and would be singing a very different tune here if I was showing photos of bashed in body panels, doors, etc. As bad as the above looks, it’s really just minor stuff and leaves my cruiser frankly no worse for the wear.

Last edited:
No pic yet, but I bent a rear control arm and whacked my rear diff cap hard enough to loosen it and cause a slow leak. Slee drained it and replaced the damaged cap with a hex cap, so good to go.

Will likely replace both control arms as soon as I figure out which set I want.

I heard @mcgaskins had a nearly identical whack to his diff cap. Maybe we both hit the same boulder on Red Cone last Saturday?? :steer: :steer: :hillbilly::hillbilly:

I don't know if he has any in stock but I bought a new beefier set of LCAs from @reevesci They're immensely more stout than oem.

So much armor, she's practically a tank. Any idea what she weighs?

So much armor, she's practically a tank. Any idea what she weighs?

Too much.

Easily over 8k#.

But then stock isn’t far from 7k#

The weight comes from:
Drawers that are full...
T13 front bumper and 12000# winch
Slee rear with water, jack, tire, basket, etc.
24 gallon sub tank
Dual batteries
Slee sliders
Skids
35” tires
Fridge
My fat self. :)

It adds up.
I also carry other supplies, tools, recovery gear.

Such weight means deeper scrapes and higher forces on everything. Not ideal for obvious reasons, but as a guy who often wheels alone (without other vehicles), I have most of what I neee to deal with issues or being stranded.

Last edited:
I can definitely see over 8k. Just wondering if you're ever weighed her when fully loaded out for a trip?

I can definitely see over 8k. Just wondering if you're ever weighed her when fully loaded out for a trip?

Yes. I’ve done CAT scales several times.
Anywhere from 8000-8300 ish.

I think my new 2725 rear springs may actually be a bit too heavy. I sold my 2724’s to Dan at LCDC, but think I may go back to the 24’s. Hard to tell right now because my swing outs are off at the moment.

Last edited:
For those who got the impression my truck might be a crumpled mess...
Nah... It’s as perty as ever. :hillbilly:

AEBD25B7-2240-4386-A56F-D65C60AB5EF9.jpeg

Last edited:
I finally got around to taking a few crappy iphone pics of underneath my rig post ~20 hard trail runs in Moab and the San Juans. Very minor scratches overall. The most visible damage was a half dollar size dent in my exhaust pipe. I ran with two Warn shackles on my rear ARB bumper. They were like shock absorbers on the TOTW run - actually absorbed a nice chunk of the hits

E6FB8F5D-1479-4119-9910-3F6B8C0DABD2.jpeg

C293569F-B85E-42B0-8000-593433F88351.jpeg

09D58EA0-ED32-4020-82E7-6826D8127B4A.jpeg

591FB441-DF73-4A0A-9E09-50876D666C16.jpeg

CB4594B1-A27F-4D87-A42E-9D77CB0C8006.jpeg

I got a solution for your dented resonator @SchobTime ... ;)

upload_2018-8-15_15-25-23.jpeg

BOOM!

It's very tempting to cut that damn thing off. It's an eyesore and too damn low.

@Markuson how much did it cost to remove and replace with the custom pipe? Thanks!

Not bad at all. I paid a shop $50...but then decided to have him tuck it up with two more curves...so it ended up around $90.

If you just want a straight pipe...you can likely find someone to do it for $40-$60.

Not expensive...and not noisy.
Only time I notice any difference at all is when it’s idling in my driveway and I’m standing next to it. Never on the road.

Highly recommended.

I’ll be hacking a bit more of it off if/when my shoulder heals and I can see again.

No photos handy but I took off the little tab under on the trailer wiring harness cover (flap) wheeling on Imogene Pass. Amazingly no damage to the harness or bracket. Next time I'm going to unbolt it and tuck it up under the spare before wheeling.

Some pinstriping from the brush in Big Bend, and a small dent just under the rear PS window which I swear must've been from my kids at one of our campsites since there's no scratch anywhere near it and it's far too high up to be from someone's door unless it was a semi-truck driver.

A big rock gave loose when I was slowly climbing onto it with the front right tire, which slide me into a 4’ rock while ascending this trench thing at 35°. (200 definitely destroys the ground around it much more compared to all the other Toyotas and Jeeps I’ve wheeled) Mashed the rear bumper cover in about 4” and dragged it down the driver side. Everyone was shocked when the bumper cover just popped right back out. It’s amazing the plastics Toyota uses on the 200. But... gotta love Line-X!

I mean look at that, not bad at all.
C107E98F-3979-449F-85A9-252D7E9C6124.jpeg

I did push it in enough to leave a bow in the left side pressure vent housing (the things that let air out of the truck when you shut the last door, so you don’t blow out glass).

DA0AC12F-D132-4C44-87D3-F98F90B3B9C4.jpeg

But absolutely no damage to the body itself.

Last edited:
Time to ditch the side steps. As you can see in the pictures, they are low hanging plastic POSs.

As you probably know, that hit on the rear bumper will pop right back out with a heat gun and pushing. You may want to remove the low hanging mudflaps, which can actually transmit force into the bumper, while you are at it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom