Post your high-mileage 100-series!!! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just in case...
Screenshot2011-03-31at102810AM.png

That thing looks a little cleaner than mine with less than half the mileage! Interesting they were asking $8k. I was only offered $8k for mine at 192,000. Guess it is just wholesale value once you get to 200,000+?

Briefly talked to a lady who owned a 2000 TLC and it had 407,000 miles on it. She said she loved it. Didn't have time to talk to her much...in a hurry. But, wow! That is impressive!

I'm approaching 180k on mine and over seven years of ownership, apparenlty just getting broken in. I was recently at a crossroads. Considered going to a newer GX470 120 series. Decided to just upgrade this. Based on the info in this thread, I think I made a nice choice.
As part of upgrading....just added new-ish 18" tundra wheels, a nice touchscreen Pioneer double DIN headunit with a backup camera. I'm redoing the leather seats with some of Shane's covers :D !

As far as maintenance....
I did the timing belt, water pump, all seals at 152k myself. I've changed the oil with mobil 1 consistently every 5k to 6k miles, tranny oil @ 30k. New air filters and clean the TB about every 15k or 20k. 2 antenna mast inserts, 1 rear towing converter, 3 coil pakcs. All diff and transfer case fluids about every 100k.

It really runs perfect. I'll post some pictures when I it back from upholstery. The exterior is almost like new. I garage it and wax it once a year. This thing is bullet proof. Mileage kind of sux @ 12.5 mpg to 16 mpg, but this is a great, safe, reliable family vehicle, which is priceless!

thumbs up to the other cruiserheads on a great vehicle
Doug

Last edited:
Hey guys, figured this was as good of place as any to make my first post. A bit long but it's been a long journey with very few problems.

This should give everyone, especially those '00 owners, some peace of mind and something to shoot for. Here is my new-to-me '00 LC completely stock other than Bilsteins.

My mom has been a land cruiser owner since '94 with her 80 series. With around 220,000 miles in 2000 the diffs started whining enough to go ahead and trade it in on a new '00. Other than the added power of the V8 I always felt the new one became a little too civilized and figured it wouldn't hold up as well as the 80.

This new cruiser is always changed with Mobil 1 fully synthetic since its first oil change every 5-6k. But that's about where it stopped as far as preventative maintenance goes.

I don't recommend anyone go this long without changing their timing belt, yes you read right, in 311,100 miles this truck has never had its timing belt, water pump, alternator, transmission, or anything except tires, brakes, air filter, oil and filter, fuel, belts maybe twice, a battery, 3 coil packs as needed, a power antenna due to low limbs, an A/C leak repaired, and once the diff lock button was pressed at speeds and needed something done (i forget what), oh and I just changed the shocks for the first time! What a difference without the diving. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few minor items but nothing serious.

Before blaming me for all of the neglect try to understand that I didn't call it mine until recently. I replaced all rotors and pads recently and have all of those parts that should have been replaced such as the timing belt, valve cover gaskets, cam and crank seals, water pump, thermostat, belts, air filter, front CV boot replacement kits for left and right and fuel filter. This will all be done by my own hand so any tech tips will be appreciated.

Please fill me in on some other things I may want to look at. I do have an oil leak from the valve cover as of about two months ago and both front half shafts have oil that has leaked from the boots hence the boot kits and valve cover gaskets.

I will try to keep in touch but I also have an e46 BMW M3, which I saw someone else had in this thread, that is a maintenance nightmare at only 100k so I already have my hands full.

Take care,

-Richard

I'm back, still pretty much a lurker here if that. I did want to update my post from a while back. I don't have a picture yet as I am waiting for the big moment, but the cruiser is 300 miles from hitting 400,000!

Hopefully one day I will get time to make my own build thread. I'm in Tuscaloosa and ever since the tornados here last April, my front diff started leaking pulling large trees up a steep incline by chain cleaning up.

I have since outfitted the rig with full suspension, front ARB locker, ARB Sahara front bumper with winch, wheels and Nitto 33" Terragrappler tires, full stereo, and custom drawers.

Since my post with 311,100, my original alternator went out right at 1/3 of a million miles (333,300 actually) but the battery got me home which was another 30 miles out.
I had a front wheel bearing going out, so both were replaced for the first time around 375,000. Several seals were slightly leaking, and I had a driveline vibration that was corrected after the front diff and suspension were replaced along with almost every piece of rubber other than motor mounts (not sure why I didn't replace them)

Today, I have some new leaks I'm afraid. I did see a radiator leak a couple months back but at this point in the trucks life, I don't go repairing every little thing until it is a bigger problem. I topped it off last week and I was a full gallon low of coolant so radiators are only good for 400,000 miles! No overheating though, I don't think these engines need cooling:)

A few more coil packs have gone and they seem to go in pairs. I am unsure if I have any originals anymore.

All in all, the engine and transmission are still doing fine, but I do get somewhat hard shifts if I don't ease off the throttle just before. She isn't being babied so these miles aren't due to highway only miles. Obviously most are, but I'm pulling a trailer down that highway half of the time:grinpimp:

I'll try to come back and post a 400,000 mile pic. Hope I catch it dead on the mileage. Who knows, I may even buy a radiator as a little present to her.

Have you ever serviced the transmission?

It MAY have had a fluid change. Never a flush, but I have considered a full flush. Think it would do more harm than good?

I will, also keeping a close eye on that temp gauge in the mean time. I don't think I will repair at this point, might as well replace the radiator.

RMTANNERJR:
Thanks for keeping us up on it. I was wondering if I would later regret beginning to mod mine at 180k... but it looks like I'm good for a long time to come!

Fantastic update! Hope you're able to get a pic to add to the thread.

On that topic I'll be hitting 212,000 this week but for the sake of posterity (and I never get tired of this pic):
IMG_20110308_080601.jpg

2000 UZJ

Oh wait.... you said "high mileage"...
IMG_20111029_163656.jpg

hullendersauce said:
Oh wait.... you said "high mileage"...

How apropos that the fuel light is on....!

Just rolled over 260,000 the other day. Still runnin strong.

barely broken in at 103k.... :):)

Im pushing 216k with no major repairs. (knock on wood). Manifold click, leaky rack and pinion. Other than that gtg

It's OFFICIAL!

Broke the 400,000 mile mark today driving through Meridian, MS!:cheers: Stopped to take a few pictures of her at this milestone.

Sorry it couldn't be done without the check engine light being on, but last night 120 miles before 400k a coil pack went. It may have even been the last original, it was a Denso. Hate that I didn't have another Denso to replace it but those things are pricey.

I ordered up a TRS projector/HID morimoto retrofit and backup camera as a present! Also have a Tekonsha P3 brake controller I need to install.

I think I'll go pull that gold bling off right now and start sanding. What do y'all think of matching the dark gray of the ARB? Or should I go darker?

May pull the sunroof visor and rear spoiler while I'm at it.

-Richard

Oh and a radiator is also coming soon, $550 from toyota though. Think I'll try CDan before going local
IMG_0204.jpg
IMG_0221.jpg
IMG_0216.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom