post to anyone considering rhino coating their rock sliders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i know it should have been intuitively obvious but...dont.

i bought some of whazhiznames rock sliders that were really nice but then somehow i got the idea i would "improve" them by getting the non-hidden surfaces rhino coated.

well as one can imagine if they lift their head out of whatever fog mine was in, one introduction to anything resembling a granite rock and youve now got nicely shredded rhino liner hanging off your rock sliders. another 300$ down the $hitter. ya live and ya learn.

so to save you the trouble and bucks heres my advice: paint em flat black and have fun scraping them. as it is i now have to strip that crap off and get the krylon out :eek: :doh: :mad:

one love
jah bill

As long as you learn from what you do, then you are making progress.

Thanks for posting up and sharing. I think we've all done a few things that in hindsight were obviously wrong.

I was going to coat the top surface to ease entry and exit into the vehicle, but mine are too close to the body to use as a step anyway. So I installed the grab bar for passengers to hoist themselves........

BTW Rustoleum satin black is pretty close to matching an ARB if you're into matching paint.

My bumper is still rockin and rolling shred, chip, scrape, and flaw free....FYI. Then again I don't try to push boulders out of my way. I did however push my neighbors truck down the street just yesterday, my lined-bumper and his chrome bumper, and still looks as good as the first day. Ever hit a boulder with an ARB? Does the same thing as a bumper lined with bedliner, it scratches, chips, or scrapes it off.... it's inevitable.

Well that sucks. Thanks for the advice, I was just about to have mine plated in 24k gold.

THEY ARE SLIDERS!!!! they are meant to get fxxxed up thats why you put them on in the first place.

Dynosoar :zilla:

On my homemade sliders I did two coats of rust bullet, then top coated with Duplicolor truck bed liner spray. I scraped them up a bit recently, but all I did was whip out the spray can and touch em up in about 2 seconds. $7.99 a can at the local auto parts and it looks real nice too.

thanks for the advice dynosaur, next time i will ask you personally before i do anything.

ps i wouldnt advise the 24k plating, 12k would probably be sufficient.

btw i realize if you push your arb bumper into a rock it will probably scrape the paint. that wasnt really the point...the point was dont spend a bunch of money rhino lining it (or in my case the sliders) because obviously thats not going to last. im all for flat or semi-gloss black krylon and should have just stayed with my initial instinct...foolishly i took someones advice and i should have known better.

one love
jah bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom