post rubithon armor piks. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2011 Rubithon was most excellent. We had a great time. The 80 is a big wide low rig to scrape through the trail. I have posted some photos of the scrapes on the armor so that if you are thinking about driving this trail you might know what to expect. We drove our factory locked 93 with no flares/bedlined and ome medium lift with 1" manafre spacers. 35" toyo mt's, stock diff gearing and metal tech sliders, ipor skid plate and 4x4 labs rear bumper. Before this trip the armor was pristine. I wish I could leave the "battle scars" but I will have to hit them with rattle can since I live near the coast and rust is an issue. Only one scrape on the body worth mentioning which is a small price to pay on this trail. It happened at an not unlikely spot but nevertheless when I did not expect it. Here is a link to the trail photos.
http://s202.photobucket.com/user/douglashuft/library/Toys/Rubithon -2011
Armor photos will be attached.

Last edited:
4x4 labs has great departure angles but is not immune form dragging. It slides well and I never hung up on it.
IMGP0021.jpg
IMGP0022.jpg
IMGP0024.jpg

metal tech sliders were in constant use as was the cat protection.
IMGP0028.jpg
IMGP0029.jpg
IMGP0035.jpg

Nice 80 and trip pics, I love that area

ipor skidplate did its job. Going down big sluice I ended up "like turtle on a post" and it was up to the task.
IMGP0030.jpg
IMGP0031.jpg

How did you scrape the under carriage? I think you need to adjust your lines i wheeled from loon to buck island with just three scrapes on my rear bumper and a couple on the sliders

The Metal tech front bumper is tucked up high enough that it never really contacted any rocks. I was able to ramp up onto rocks (that another 80 in the group was unable to without hanging up on and twisting his aftermarket aluminum bumper). My 6 year old son kept on asking me to "test the front bumper". I finally did on the way up Cadillac Hill when I "forgot about the large boulder right in front of me" after getting out to strap another 80 and then reentering the vehicle and simply driving right into it. I swear it jumped right out at me. Anyways, my ac worked perfectly on the ride home. I did get a small amount of rock rash on the rear quarter panel when my rear tires slid a bit and kissed a ledge at the top of walker Hill.
IMGP0032.jpg
IMGP0033.jpg

I do have a new mystery clunk sometimes when driving on pavement and hitting potholes or a really rough patch. Everything is tight under the cruiser. I did have to tighten the sliders u bolts. The metal tech sliders are so close to the body it might be body/slider contact making the noise. I do have a slightly bent lower rear control arm to replace. do the slee's flex well enough with the blue bushings? I am not sure if landtank still has any for sale which would be the other option.

How did you scrape the under carriage? I think you need to adjust your lines i wheeled from loon to buck island with just three scrapes on my rear bumper and a couple on the sliders
It might have something to do with a heavily loaded cruiser with 35" tires and only a couple inch's of lift compared to your 37's and 5" of lift.

This thread was not meant to be about me complaining or snivelling about a couple scratches on armor. Its just armor, that's its job. I just wanted to let people know what to expect from a "typical rig with ordinary armor". It was a hoot. I cant wait to do it again.

:cheers: Good pics. Just pulled the trigger on a 4x4labs rear bump. Can't wait. Its the last peice of armor that needs attention.

Thanks for posting. It really provides insight into what the rubicon trail does to a vehicle. I have always wanted to do it but I just haven't pulled the trigger.

I have never been there but from the pics and what I have seen and heard of the rubicon I think you faired pretty well
Time to bring the liner up higher now to cover that dent and those scraps:hillbilly:
Nice pics

Loon to Buck Island is the "easy" half of the trail! :flipoff2:

it might have something to do with a heavily loaded cruiser with 35" tires and only a couple inch's of lift compared to your 37's and 5" of lift.

i was carying 650lbs of cargo lol, either way looks like you had fun, next time you go hit me up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom