Post Ironman Lift Alignment Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd like your expert opinions on why two tire shops were unable to align my 99' LX post 2" Ironman lift install. The steering is now ultra-vague, about an inch of play from side-to-side, like driving a 50s Buick. I'll be replacing front-end bushings soon, which I've heard helps steering feel.

Thanks in advance!

Resized_624061610001.jpeg

No droop = no rake = s*** steering = s*** alignment

Lower the front end and all will be well.

Very good, though I don't want the truck to have too much rake, looks funky. Where would you suggest I get the torsion bars adjusted properly then aligned? Not many specialty 4-wheel shops near me. Thanks!

Just get a 30mm socket from Amazon and adjust them yourself? Not even a 1/10 :banana: job

Very good, though I don't want the truck to have too much rake, looks funky. Where would you suggest I get the torsion bars adjusted properly then aligned? Not many specialty 4-wheel shops near me. Thanks!
Need 1” rake, minimum. You can do it yourself if you have a floor jack, 30mm socket, and breaker bar...

Just get a 30mm socket from Amazon and adjust them yourself? Not even a 1/10 :banana: job

ha yeah, I can adjust the torsion bars. I just want the alignment to be spot-on. How far down do my t-bars need adjusting?

Last edited:
Edit for clarity and typo:

Your alignment results show you now have negative caster- you started with zero and then went backwards. You want positive caster- more caster helps steering return to center-more planted feel. You might ask them about why they let the vehicle out the door this way.

A lot of times the caster adjustment bolts are rusted/frozen to the upper control arm and cant be adjusted- this may be why you see negative numbers- they didn't get adjusted. For reference if still on OEM upper control arms, shoot for as much as they can adjust in- maybe you can get as much as +1.5 ~+1.8.

Your droop measurements should be no less than 50mm and closer to 70mm - lower front end to get more droop and your steering will feel less "darty"

Last edited:
Your alignment results show you now have negative caster- you started with zero and then went backwards. You want positive caster- more caster helps steering return to center-more planted feel.

if still on OEM upper control arms, as much as they can dial in- maybe you can get as much as +1.5 ~+1.8.

Your droop measurements should be no leas than 50mm and closer to 70mm - lower front end to get more droop and your

I second this plus more toe . Lifted larger tires need -toe +caster.

Adjusted the torsion bars down 1". Measurements are now 23" from center-hub to fender out back, and 22" up front. Steering is 75% better. A good alignment should seal the deal. Thanks for the help homies!

Last edited:
Dropping to 21.0-21.5” in the front will move that 75% improvement to 100%.

21.5" is too stink bug for me. That said, might try it if the the alignment doesn't help more.

Those that would give up safety to gain style deserve neither safety nor style.

Those that would give up safety to gain style deserve neither safety nor style.
Why not add something positive vs an insult?

Why not add something positive vs an insult?
Thought you might like a bastardized Franklin quote as you have a Plato quote. ;)

But seriously too many here that fret about "stink bug" look and end up with unsafe rigs.
I have been behind 100s in Moab going up steep slickrock where they have almost no steering because they don't have enough droop.
Just because its easy to crank a t-bar doesn't mean any setting is safe.
It may be okay on the highway now but if you find yourself going up a steep offroad slope you may have very limited steering.

Positive fix - Want more height in the front - Aftermarket UCA, Extended travel shocks, drop diff = $$$$
If you go this route it will wear out your steering rack, tie rod ends and maybe CVs quicker. Been there, done that.

Edit: Also aftermarket UCA provide additional caster adjustment. The stock UCA on lifted rig does not have enough caster adjustment to meet alignment spec.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom