Post Inspection Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had a pre purchase inspection done on a 1997 and got the report back. 188k miles. Clean car, no rust, California car.

There are a few minor issues that are not a concern however
Two items showed up that wanted feedback on.

1. Oil Leaks
Looks like rear main, level sensor and a front leak at the crank seal. Oil Pump? Some leakage at scrub seals.

2. AC only cooled to 48 with an ambient temp of 45.

How much concern should I have on these two items.
They said it is not dripping and owner confirms no oil on the garage floor.

Thoughts?

Hmm... the front and rear mains usually aren't such a slow leak that they leave no evidence on the ground. That being said, usually if there is evidence at numerous places on the engine and none on the ground it's either A: all sticking to the underside of the transmission tunnel and floorboards, or B: someone has put it some stop leak like solution at some point. Car dealers are notorious for using Motor Honey because it does a great job of quieting the engine and stopping leaks for just long enough to sell it and get it past the renig period of buyers remorse.
Edit:
As far as the AC goes. Having it vacuumed down and recharged may fix the problem. If it doesn't there are a few things it could be, but nothing to seriously worry about. As long as the rest of the vehicle is in good condition you should be ok.

It is a 20 yr old car. They tend to leak unless fixed. My truck has a slow leak up front and have never seen a drop on the ground. I'd be more concerned about the major failure points like head gasket, peskey heater hose and other things that will cost $$$ in an instant once they fail.

Here are pics of the leaks.

IMG_1105.JPG
IMG_1106.JPG
IMG_1107.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom