Post head gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, so I started my head gasket replacement back in July, after months of bad weather, no time, waiting for parts, it's all back together. filled with coolant, changed the oil, did the Sequoia alternator upgrade, no parts leftover. Crossed my fingers and turned the key, it fired right up on the second crank!! turned it off, filled power steering, filled transmission back up. Started it again, beautiful oil pressure, no reading on temp gauge. Okay, turned it off, checked coolant level, radiator is full, I put 2 and 2/3's gallons of Peak red/pink for Toyota vehicles prior to starting it. There should be enough coolant in there to run the engine. Short story Long,... I went to start it again, it wouldn't crank. I haven't checked the fusible link yet, but I'm hoping that is the culprit. I hooked up an OBD II reader, says, EGR, O2, and 2 others, (one looks like either HTR or MTR, can't tell). SO.......My question, if not the fusible link, what other areas should I be looking at? If the starter is not engaging, I'm assuming it's an electrical issue.

When you say that it wouldn't crank what do you mean? Would the engine turn over but not fire or would the engine not turn over at all?

Have you tried starting it in Neutral rather than Park? It maybe a NSS issue. Do you have an alarm / immobiliser fitted?

Battery shows 15.6v, I thought the same thing. It’s a Sears diehard silver from autozone I think.
Is that a typo?

Battery shouldn't be close to 15.6V.

Battery shows 15.6v, I thought the same thing. It’s a Sears diehard silver from autozone I think.
I assume you meant to say 12.6V, which would be a fully charged standard wet cell battery or an 85% charged AGM.
It is not possible for an automotive battery at rest to read that high.

Check your block grounds. Sounds like you have one finger tight.

Check voltage at battery terminals, then at battery positive and block for ground. They should be the same. If you have low or no voltage with the block grounded, then your issue is there.

Last edited:
seems high to me, perhaps the meter being used is somewhat generous. I just checked my Taco and LX, 12.7 and 12.5 volts respectively.
It’s a harbor freight multimeter. Put it on 20v dc. It was showing 15.6. Usually 12.5 with vehicle off and 13.8 when running

Check your block grounds. Sounds like you have one finger tight.

Check voltage at battery terminals, then at battery positive and block for ground. They should be the same. If you have low or no voltage with the block grounded, then your issue is there.
That sounds good, I’ll try that tonight. I replaced the cables with some sold by a member on Ih8mud. I didn’t replace the one that goes on the transmission.

Probably this one.
1641323914318.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom