Post birfield repack problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, all. I just finished repacking the birfield on the PS of the truck. Did everything according to George's website and followed few other tips from pertinent threads, including removing the ABS sensor prior to pulling out the birfield.

Front brake pads were replaced. Had help since bleeding brake is still over me.

Testing the rig exposed the following problems:

1. ABS light on dashboard goes off a few seconds after turning on the ignition as it should. Driving hard then braking hard will engage the ABS but there was a pull to the left. After that the ABS light would stay on, which means ABS is inactive(?), and subsequent brakings, even hard ones, brings the rig to a stop without any pull to the left.

2. If the rig is on an incline, putting the gear to PARK and then lifting foot from brake would produce a loud click on the PS as truck rolls forward a little bit and rest.

One observation I made when I put everything back was that when I placed the wheel hub cover back in, it would push the axle inside so that I could not see the groove where you put the large circlip. Using a 12mm bolt allows me to pull the axle out and place the circlip in place. Is the play natural?

Appreciate any help you can extend. If you need me to clarify please ask. I may be able to post pics if needed. Please note that the above conditions are strictly post repack.

Thanks,

Arnie

Don't know that I can help much with you're braking issues, but there is a little play in and out for the axle shaft, otherwise there would be no need to screw a bolt in and pull it out, as the FSM specifies.. right? Even after I pulled mine out and put c-clip on, there was a little play back and forth. In other words, if you pulled the axle shaft all the way out with the bolt, and put the C-clip on, there was about a half a pennies width of space between the clip and the face of the hub. From what I could gather, this was normal.

:beer:
Rookie2

For the ABS problem....I would start by pulling the code thrown by the computer. You can do this very easily...if you're not familer with it..just search "paper clip" and you find many qualified detailed instructions. This will tell you the general problem with the ABS...it sounds like one of your speed sensors was damaged (they are VERY fragile) during removal or re-installation. And yes you are correct once the ABS light comes on, your ABS is disabled. The speed sensors are only sold in pairs and are not cheep...this is why I don't have ABS anymore ;). I might get around to fixing it one day but like you described without ABS even under HARD braking the tires won't lock. I have tried many times on closed roads and the only time I got them to bite was on wet pavement.

And yes the play is normal and the 12mm bolt makes getting the C- clip on MUCH easier!

Thanks, Rook. The play was never mentioned in the threads I've read so it was unexpected for me. Now I know what to expect when I work on the DS.

Thanks, TX. I'll try what "paper clip" will show me. You mentioned that you are without ABS. Did you remove the sensor or just left them in place? Mine would still engage and then be disabled. Guess, it's a sign that it's failing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom