Possible Turbo Supplier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just found this place in Texas that lists a turbo kit for the 1FZFE. What else is involved for turbo-charging a 1FZFE besides the parts listed below. I have a request in for a price and will post when I get it.

First reponse said the kit comes with the:

manifold, turbo and wastegate ONLY
3-4 weeks to get the manifold
www.turbochargers.com

Turbochargers.com
5410 Burr Oak Drive
Houston, Texas 77092
713-681-1111

Anyone have experience or know anything else about this?

I assume they can arrange custom one-off manifolds by welding a turbo flange to the stock exhaust manifold. This is pretty common in the tuner car world and can be done at a lot of shops or at home if you are skilled at TIG welding. This is far from a complete, tuned, workable turbo system. I think you will have a lot of custom work ahead of you if you went this route. Doable, but not easy.

hmmmm....I am in Houston. Wonder if they need a protype???

Just heard back and the kit for the 1FZFE starts at $1200 and goes up depending which turbo-system you go with. Apparently the kit includes the manifold, turbo and wastegate. I don't know much about turbos but am going to read up now.....I assume the manifold included is the intake manifold and the exhaust manifold needs to be fabbed....does this sound right. Here is the link to the page with the kit... http://www.turbochargers.com/TurboKits/StarterKits.htm

So what else is involved?

snowcruiser said:
Just heard back and the kit for the 1FZFE starts at $1200 and goes up depending which turbo-system you go with. Apparently the kit includes the manifold, turbo and wastegate. I don't know much about turbos but am going to read up now.....I assume the manifold included is the intake manifold and the exhaust manifold needs to be fabbed....does this sound right. Here is the link to the page with the kit... http://www.turbochargers.com/TurboKits/StarterKits.htm

So what else is involved?
You'll need piping and an intercooler at a minimum. Not sure how the ECU will handle the extra air. Injectors and pump can flow enough fuel? I'm pretty sure this is designed for a really low boost setup. Maybe 7-9psi? Lots of stuff to think about. This is by no means a bolt-on thing. You'll need to the the R&D yourself basically.

At $1200.00 you are going to be lacking alot of necessary shiz.

Better be one very skilled mech/eng.

What ever happened to the other turbo thread that was here last month? Wasn't Man-a-Free working on a turbo kit similar to the Safari - complete with intercooler?

Status update anyone?

M-A-F has moved to the street tests stage of R&D. The prototype should be already installed and being tried out. The first kits are due sometime next month -assuming all works as planned. All per someone at M-A-F, who patiently answered my questions last week. Oh, about $4,900 for the full&complete kit....

Is that 4900 installed as Ma-a fre as done in the past or over the counter? either way that is reasonable for a Turbo kit (hopefully with CARB cert). Hopefully they sell over the counter for self install. later robbie

I'll bet he only real tricky part to puting a turbo together for the 1fzfe is the exhaust manifold-that would take some developed fabrication skills. as long as there isn't a remote wastegate to deal with your local muffler shop could finish the rest of the exhaust downstream from the turbo once a thick 1/2" flange was fabbed, welded to an oe exhaust transition and machined smooth at the turbo junction side to make a nice, gasket free transition to the oe exhaust. A small intercooler could be plumbed to go on the pass side in front of radiator (just like a safari)-it would be some work to plumb it in (see photomans excellent intercoler fab on his post) but the welding for the intercooler plumbing is no big deal and if you baught the pipe and did the cuts duct taping along the way your muffler shop could do your welds here also. I'm sure a you could find a decent intercooler of approx size on ebay for a couple hundred bucks. Plumbing the oil and water lines to and from the turbo wouldn't be much of a chore. The only issue left is engine management and as discussed on this forum many times the oe ECU seems to do just fine with forced induction-either turbocharging or supercharging-and both systems are running less than 9 atmosperes anyway. The only real trick to the turbo setup is getting a manifold.
Has anyone tried fabing a turbo manifold from the oe piece?

Dusty said:
Has anyone tried fabing a turbo manifold from the oe piece?

It's a cast two piece manifold, which you may have known, but their outlet flanges are pretty far downstream of where you'd prefer to put the turbo just by what space is available there. The stockers look like a far reach compared to either the custom bent-up ones like robbie has (looks like the jdm one lx_treme posted) or I've always wonderd about the turbodiesel ones that are two piece. I know they're 4.2 L but maybe ...they sure look a lot like the cast two piece unit safari provides.

yea clownm thats a tight fit-if you plumbed the turbo directly behind those two flanges there wouln't be any room to plumb exhaust from the turbo and out as the loci of the the turbo would block the exist for the rest of the exhaust. I was wondering if one might fab about a foot long extension to bolt to those 2 flanges and bring the turbo up to the level of the hood (would need to cut a bit of hole in the hood and fab a low cover for the hole-you could then write "turbo" in big letters by the defect) This way there would be room to bring the exhaust back down and out. The oe air box would go buy buy and something would need to be done to replumb the AC. There would need to be some thought dedicated to properly suspending the whole mess and some thermal advantage may be lost by the distant exhaust manifold. And there is question as to if the stock exhaust manifold would remain in place without too much movement under the new EGTs it would see. But if the oe manifold would hold and if one were to develop such a piece to go from the 2 flanges up to the turbo and a second piece to go from the turbo to the OE exhaust there would be lots of 80 series out there with holes in their hoods. Immagine getting a new t0e4 turbo on ebay for $600 and buying yourself the 2 pieces above for say $350 + $200 in oil/water hoses and fittings + $200 for intercooler + $200 in intercooling pipe + $100 for oil cooler + $30 for sandwhich adapter + egt guage + A/F ratio guage + couple hundred bucks to your local mufler shop for their time sets one back only $2,000 and a month of down time on the cruiser. Again the only tricky part is the manifold

clownmidget said:
It's a cast two piece manifold, which you may have known, but their outlet flanges are pretty far downstream of where you'd prefer to put the turbo just by what space is available there. The stockers look like a far reach compared to either the custom bent-up ones like robbie has (looks like the jdm one lx_treme posted)
Can you please let me know which manifold that Robbie got?or Anyone?
The prob with JDM parts wont pass CARB emissions :frown: ..otherwise i'll get 'em and ship to the state within 2 weeks.
Pics below: I just got the JDM front bumper (FAWK cost me $2000.00 USD) came with AC Dryer relocate kit and Intercooler kit hangers but from the pics i posted, at least you guys got the idea where im going to mount the intercooler :D
Last bling-bling pic JDM TwinTurbo kit 1FZ-FE (550Hp):grinpimp:

Dusty said:
twin turbo ifzfe-wow. where does one get the forged guts to support such a beast. where can one order one of the above manifolds and do they offer financing for such great work.

Those tubular manifolds are probably custom dealio's.

The mass produced manifold is a 'log' style cast manifold, which offers some things to be desired. Tubular manifolds are a MUCH better solution.

None of these cheap kits address intercooling, fueling, boost control, water injection or piping.

There is a good book on turbo charging called Maximum Boost by Corky Bell.
It's a good read, and not too technical. He discusses intake and exhayst manifold design. Turbo selection Waste gate setup, boost controls, fueling concerns. Etc. I'd STRONGLY suggest reading this, and a few of the other books in his bibliography.

HTH
-James

LX_TREME said:
Can you please let me know which manifold that Robbie got?or Anyone?

maybe robbie will chime in but if I remember correctly he got one from a shop here in SoCal that was advertised on eBay. It looked a lot like the one in the middle above, cut and welded tubes with a central turbo mount. It was not CARB compliant. No one even bid on it I think until the end and robbie got it for $500-600 bucks.

If you're anywhere other than CA then go for it. In CA seems like you better wait for MAF or try to source a Safari or parts of one so at least the paperwork will match.

I agree that the Corky Bell Turbo book is excellent and I have read my copy many times. A recurring theme in his book is that low boost applications arn't going to require extremes of engineering. There is certainly a limit in the 1FZFE's potential and those arabs have probably found it but 300hp is probably most here desire and for this motor that is not rocket science. Plumbing for an exotic wastegate arrangement isn't necesary as an integrated will work fine for what is needed here. Engine management could certainly befefit from a reliable piggyback but from the sounds of this forum such is not necessary. It doesn't sound like the supra fuel pump is essential and boost controlled fuel pressure regulation is less than ideal anyway. Plumbing the intercooler would take some time but this is not rocket science. Getting a manifold is the ticket and if one could be had for cheap there would be a lot more turbos on this forum. The principle of forced induction are not rocket science. bla bla bla...preach preach preach

Sho nuf.

If you check the site Yomama set up (http://www.yomama.net/Safari Turbo/safari_turbo.htm) you can see just how much you need to essentially replicate the Safari system. It does seem to come down to just the exhaust manifold being the proprietary piece you would have to source or have fabricated. The rest of it is pretty well sorted out in my opinion and therefore worthy of replicating. Bill (photoman) will gladly provide you with the part numbers of the intercooler and relocated tranny oil cooler if you pester him. Most of the other stuff is all over the web now that so many tuners are playing with their street cars. Also, the UniChip is available here in the US so you could actually run a piggyback ecu and have it dyno'd to suite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom