Possible to run wire on driver side with a manual? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So there's discussions ad nauseum on running wires through the firewall. I ran one run through the grommet on the passenger side, just clipped the nipple and it was perfect. I need to run some wire to the driver's side though ... and I can either add a distribution block to the one I ran on the passenger side and cross back over the car to the DS, or try to find a grommet on the driver side. I feel like crossing the car is bad for voltage (it's a 4ga copper wire that will end up being like 8 meters long by the time it reaches the rear quarterpanel) so I'm looking at like a 5% voltage drop, which isn't great.

I see there's a grommet under the steering column, but I can't seem to find a way to run wire through it, it's pretty tight. Is there a similar nipple there I can clip, and if so, how do I reach it? I think it's positioned underneath the clutch master cylinder? Any advice welcome!

So there's discussions ad nauseum on running wires through the firewall. I ran one run through the grommet on the passenger side, just clipped the nipple and it was perfect. I need to run some wire to the driver's side though ... and I can either add a distribution block to the one I ran on the passenger side and cross back over the car to the DS, or try to find a grommet on the driver side. I feel like crossing the car is bad for voltage (it's a 4ga copper wire that will end up being like 8 meters long by the time it reaches the rear quarterpanel) so I'm looking at like a 5% voltage drop, which isn't great.

I see there's a grommet under the steering column, but I can't seem to find a way to run wire through it, it's pretty tight. Is there a similar nipple there I can clip, and if so, how do I reach it? I think it's positioned underneath the clutch master cylinder? Any advice welcome!
I ran a 00 gauge positive AND negative through the grommet below the steering wheel to install an Anderson connector on the interior for a 5K watt pure sine wave inverter.

Yes they will fit.

They may NOT fit in the channel that runs from front to back. For ones that size and all the way to the rear, I would consider going UNDER the body and coming up in the rear fender well to keep the interior and firewall less cluttered.

In my case, I have had to route the cables under the carpet and next to the center tunnel for my needs. Mine terminates at the center console / back seat.

Wow. All right, I guess I have to try harder. But yours is an auto, right? Couple of questions:

- did you start pulling wire from the cabin or the engine bay?
- Do you know if the grommet is like on the passenger side where you can find a nipple to clip, or this kind?

1675464285944.jpeg

If it is this kind, how do you run the wire through it considering I can't reach it with my hand and it has tape over that nipple? Did you untape the end and then run wires? (which I don't think I can do without removing the clutch cylinder, wherein lies my problem). Thanks!

Wow. All right, I guess I have to try harder. But yours is an auto, right? Couple of questions:

- did you start pulling wire from the cabin or the engine bay?
- Do you know if the grommet is like on the passenger side where you can find a nipple to clip, or this kind?

View attachment 3238171

If it is this kind, how do you run the wire through it considering I can't reach it with my hand and it has tape over that nipple? Did you untape the end and then run wires? (which I don't think I can do without removing the clutch cylinder, wherein lies my problem). Thanks!
Mine's an auto. I don't recall what was there when I started. I'll take a picture and attach.

I started from the engine bay and shoved it all in from there.

LHD

Thanks. Yeah I have a clutch cylinder blocking the way so I can’t see anything in there … I should’ve done this when I was replacing it while I had access. Facepalm.

Ah yeah I can see where the grommet is (chopstick in the picture). Definitely not reachable by hand … but I’ll have to improvise somehow.

C8A2B4D0-745E-44EE-9D07-CB42CD6BB3DF.jpeg

C1B6DAB5-201E-42B9-96BD-E70A8F461A8F.jpeg

All right. Figured it out. Punched a hole from the cabin (with a round object - not a screw driver, to avoid the grommet splitting along the cut), then punched through with one of those stick type wire fishing things on Amazon for 10 bucks, then tied my 4ga cable to it, silicon grease and pushed it through. Worked perfectly. So it’s impossible to do it from the engine side (unlike the passenger one), but from the cabin it’s totally doable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom