Possible to just replace the fuel pump arm rather than the whole pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

well ,

now the F 1.5 copper oil line is a topic left up to a better bulk of vast knowledge on that topic i think 🤔

@Living in the Past

Matt, you solved the funny wear pattern. I forgot the early/original pumps had that stacked steel arm versus the stamped arm. That is why his poor cam has those three deep grooves. Then someone put in a newer pump. It wore down into the groove created by the old arm, hence the odd wear on his current fuel pump.

I had another thought on this engine. While crank splash does throw oil on the cam, doesn't most of the oiling for the cam lobes come from what runs off the valves and rocker arms and down over the pushrods and lifters. Perhaps this truck had a top end oiling problem.

Reeve, is the rocker arm shaft all wore down and ruined? Did this engine have the little copper line running up to the top of the rocker arm/head? F engines don't send oil any other way up to the head except for the little copper line above and behind the distributor area under the lifter cover.
Yeah, I was looking at that photo of the fuel pump with the stacked plates for the arm, looks familiar huh? As for the rockers I did suspect that copper line too, I checked that copper line and it was clear, but who knows, someone was probably in there before me, cleaned it out anyways. I haven't pulled apart the rocker shaft yet to look where the rocker shaft and rocker arms make contact. I did try to get the rockers off the shaft at one point but they are pretty stuck. They only move up and down a little bit, cant get them to slide off the shaft. I do not think them being stuck is caused by oil starvation, I suspect the soot and oil sludge/solids have built up on the mating surfaces since that was the same story for the lifters. The lifters didn't look too bad, at least on the surface that makes contact with the engine block.

Matt, you solved the funny wear pattern. I forgot the early/original pumps had that stacked steel arm versus the stamped arm. That is why his poor cam has those three deep grooves. Then someone put in a newer pump. It wore down into the groove created by the old arm, hence the odd wear on his current fuel pump.

I had another thought on this engine. While crank splash does throw oil on the cam, doesn't most of the oiling for the cam lobes come from what runs off the valves and rocker arms and down over the pushrods and lifters. Perhaps this truck had a top end oiling problem.

Reeve, is the rocker arm shaft all wore down and ruined? Did this engine have the little copper line running up to the top of the rocker arm/head? F engines don't send oil any other way up to the head except for the little copper line above and behind the distributor area under the lifter cover.
I just tore apart the rocker shafts, or one of them that is. There is a decent amount of wear. I'm on the fence on replacing those as well, they are pretty worn. I will post pictures later. Now that I think of it, there are holes at the bottom of the pushrod cover where the lifters are, which I suspect are for oil draining and they are positioned right over the camshaft, some of them were completely packed with soot, sludge, and even what looked to be clay. Someone probably didn't change the oil in it for a long while. Here is some pictures of the rocker shaft and rockers, I cleaned the crap off of them. 1 and 2 are the rocker shaft, 3 is a rocker right side up, 4 is a rocker upside down.

IMG_1027.JPG

IMG_1028.JPG

IMG_1030.JPG

IMG_1031.JPG

Last edited:
I can't spend really all that much more money on this car at least for now. I think I could just clean the rocker shaft up with some sandpaper to at least finish up the scoring and rough edges.

Those are toast, I get the impression you have not spent anything on machining this block. I hope you don't have a pile of parts waiting for it. Unless you are really set on keeping the original motor I would get another. Watch the classifieds and the local groups in your area. If you want a good engine, look for one out of an FJ60. Smoother running, more power, and it will fit right where your F does now. The later 2F engines were really an upgrade, and even a high miles one, if in decent shape will get you on the road and keep you going for years to come. You can even mix and match parts enough that you can put the original alternator back where it was, mount the 1F air filter, those kinds of things and it will still look pretty stock. You will spend less in the end, rebuilding these engines can get expensive, and yours is looking like a bad proposition.

The oil schmutz that is accumulated on the unloaded backside of the cam lobes indicates a looong history of crummy oil & insufficient oil changes. Bear in mind the cam is spinning, slinging oil off of itself, yet the oil was so carbon loaded that it has painted the lobes black. That carboned up oil is hella abrasive, so has destroyed the cam, lifters, rocker shaft, FP arm, wristpins, etc.

Putting a new FP on this engine is a band-aid on a bullet hole.

The oil schmutz that is accumulated on the unloaded backside of the cam lobes indicates a looong history of crummy oil & insufficient oil changes. Bear in mind the cam is spinning, slinging oil off of itself, yet the oil was so carbon loaded that it has painted the lobes black. That carboned up oil is hella abrasive, so has destroyed the cam, lifters, rocker shaft, FP arm, wristpins, etc.

Putting a new FP on this engine is a band-aid on a bullet hole.
The thing is that the cam bearings and bearing surfaces on the camshaft look excellent, with no scoring at all. I haven't pulled a rod cap yet, mainly because I don't want to discover anything else, but I suspect that it should be ok too, or I'm hoping so. The cylinder walls look fine as well, just glazing, no scoring, typical with a car with miles. The first oil change I did on it, if I recall correctly, looked dark, but felt like oil when rubbed between the fingers, not abrasive at all. Pretty weird. Would you not feel resistance if you were to turn the engine over with a ratchet if those surfaces were scored?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom