Possible solution for dried out rear vent flaps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ernboto

My garage is my happy place
SILVER Star
Threads
If you have ever pulled off your rear vent louver and found a wizened, crispy black chip that resembles what was once a rubber flap I have a possible solution.
1626071661805.jpeg

I found some 1/8” neoprene rubber online and cut out my own flaps.

I started by making a cardboard template and then transferring it to the rubber sheet.
1626071962520.jpeg

After removing the corroded staples that were holding the old flaps in place and giving everything a bit of a cleanup,

I stapled the new flap with a heavy duty stapler. I recommend stapling into some soft wood then gently prying everything off and bending over the staples with some pliers.

1626072495114.jpeg

The finished product seems to look the part.

1626072576031.jpeg

Hopefully someone finds this helpful and it sparks other creative solutions.

If you have an intact old flap thats hard and brittle I have heard bleach will soften them up. However I don't know how long they stay soft for or if bleach will cause other issues

Very nicely done. Did something similar not to long ago but used a worn out football. Been working great for the last 5 years or so

Frankly I don't think mine even exist in there anymore. I'm going to have to give this a shot and finally get me some vents from @TRAIL TAILOR once he does another production run (hint hint....).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom