Possible rear bumper swap....my slee your ARB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bomar

SILVER Star
Threads
Here is the deal...before I go modifying my current Slee single swingout rear bumper that is in great condition or sell it. I would like to see if someone has an ARB rear that they want something different.

I am looking for ease of access to the rear cargo since we now have a child the design is not one handed with a child in other hand friendly. I have heard that the ARB is better...but I have yet to be able to see one in the wild for the wife to tryout.

I live in Hot Springs AR but travel for work so willing to meet up. I cover N TX, AR, LA, and W TN.

PM me if you have an ARB rear with a swingout on your 100. Even if you dont want to get rid of it I would love to see it to see if this is what would solve me issues.

Before all this....you need to get rid of swingout....and the other bumpers currently on the market. I have seen just about all the other throughout the years and I discussed with Christo about the bumper.

I have to have a swingout due to AUX gas tank that I will not be removing.

Thanks for the help in advance...

Bomar

That is what I needed to hear. Thanks for that info Nakman...i wanted confirmation that it is that easy to open and close.

You gotta slam it like you mean it, other than that it's super easy. Both our kids (5 and 9) can open it, then open the back and climb up on the tailgate. But only the older one can slam it hard enough to shut it, I'm a little worried about fingers so I don't mind too much.

It's complex to set up though, you can't deny that. Probably 2-3x the effort.. not for everyone, but worth it, IMO.

Have you ever looked in to the 4x4 labs bumper? His design is the best in the aftermarket IMHO. I built mine custom but I copied his swing out. Easy to open and shut with one hand. There is only one latch for both swing outs and no stupid little pop pins to deal with. There are 150lb struts to assist with opening and hold it open. It just as easy as the arb without the bulk. Here it the one I built for mine, and like I said it the same as 4x4 labs I just changed it up a little. Slee builds some nice stuff, but there swing our is a very poor design IMHO.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412866308.922825.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412866350.694386.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412866397.830100.jpg

Bomar,

Let me know if you decide to sell that slee rear bumper. I don't have an ARB to trade, just a stock 100 I am looking to modify right now. I live in Farmington, New Mexico.

Thanks!

Ben, this is the kit that you BUILT* yourself? I'm looking at their website and assume what you have pictured is the dual swing out? Any pics of the process putting it together?

Last edited:
Slee builds some nice stuff, but there swing our is a very poor design IMHO. View attachment 951409View attachment 951410View attachment 951411

Might be a poor design to some but unfortunately we have to build in some safeguards for the masses. What prevents the swing arms on the 4x4 swinging open if the latch pops open ? I do agree that the gas struts does help with opening the carrier, but they are not a safety stop.

One other consideration with the 4x4 design what happens when the truck's nose is pointed up hill and you have to open the carriers?

Wouldn't it be easier, logistically (and probably cheaper in the long-run) to have the Slee carrier modified for easy one-handed opening? (cover your ears Christo!)

Ben, this is the kit that you BUILT* yourself? I'm looking at their website and assume what you have pictured is the dual swing out? Any pics of the process putting it together?
I built the main bumper the tire carrier and the basket. All I got from 4x4 labs is the swing out parts. I didn't get his kit. As a fabricator myself, I have to say 4x4 labs bumper is the best I have seen by far in the aftermarket, design and function wise IMHO.

Last edited:
Might be a poor design to some but unfortunately we have to build in some safeguards for the masses. What prevents the swing arms on the 4x4 swinging open if the latch pops open ? I do agree that the gas struts does help with opening the carrier, but they are not a safety stop.

One other consideration with the 4x4 design what happens when the truck's nose is pointed up hill and you have to open the carriers?
The latch will not pop open. The dest-a-co 4000lb latch has a safety lever behind the handle that locks it. There is a built in stop in the hinge so the strut is not being used as a stop. Also the placement of the struts is very important, if you place them right the strut will keep the swing out closed and after you open it a few inches it will assist it open and hold it open no matter what angle you vehicle is parked. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by, what happens when the nose Is pointed up hill?

Like I said you guys build some awesome stuff! Take it or leave it, but if you could redesign your swing out with ease of opening in mind, I think it would benefit you. Also I had one question. What is your reasoning for the tire on the passenger side?

The latch will not pop open. The dest-a-co 4000lb latch has a safety lever behind the handle that locks it. There is a built in stop in the hinge so the strut is not being used as a stop.

The De-Sta-Co latch with the safety catch was a horrible design. When you closed it, the safety latch part pinched fingers between the safety latch and handle when the safety latch cammed over the locking part. We never used those. If you have not experienced that, or have small children I would be very careful.

latch.jpg

The newer ones that became available in the last year or so does have a better safety latch mechanism that does not do it and they are worth looking into.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by, what happens when the nose Is pointed up hill?

When you open the latch, is the pressure on the struts enough to keep the carriers closed or do they both swing open?

Like I said you guys build some awesome stuff! Take it or leave it, but if you could redesign your swing out with ease of opening in mind, I think it would benefit you. Also I had one question. What is your reasoning for the tire on the passenger side?

Believe me we have spent a lot of time on that part. However ease of opening is only one criteria for the carrier design. The 2nd is how well the clamp secures the carrier and eliminate rattles and vibration. I do not feel that the single latch does the same job for the stability of the carriers as what the orientation of the latches we use.

Also we have to cater for single and dual carriers. So we can not sure a single latch.

Also, the addition of gas struts can be done, but if you notice the 4x4 carriers arms are 2"x2" and ours are 3"x3". That makes positioning the struts very difficult. The 3"x3" arms is something we will not change.

We are in the process to design our own latch that should enable us to revist the gas strut option as well as possibly changing the locations of the pins. However that is all still in the design stage.

We have our locking pins in the position they are for a very good reason. However if someone wants to eliminate the safety aspect of those they can easily plug the holes or make a slide plate like the one we supply that covers the holes.

As for the carrier position, there are a couple of reasons but honestly they all can probably be argued the other way. If we did it on the driver side, I bet we would have the same amount of people asking for it the other way. The main reason is so that the larger of the two carriers does not open into traffic when parked. The ladder addition does open into the traffic but it is smaller and a lot of people opt not to run that, or remove then when home. It also offsets the weight of the driver when traveling alone. The only negative is probably a little visibility trade off, but even with a 35" tire there, it is not bad.

I am looking for ease of access to the rear cargo since we now have a child the design is not one handed with a child in other hand friendly. I have heard that the ARB is better...but I have yet to be able to see one in the wild for the wife to tryout.

...I do like the ARB. But it's true, you can be holding a kid, 2 bags of groceries, and a cup of coffee, and open or close the swing-out. It's a one handed operation, every time. :cool:

I have an almost 6 y/o and an almost 3 y/o. My BIO rear bumper requires me to use two hands just like the slee rear bumper. I've had my bumper on the truck since before the 3 y/o was born. I've never had a problem with access to the rear of the truck when I have my kids with just me because before i load the truck with stuff from costco or home depot, I put the kids in the truck first or take the kids out second if i have to remove stuff. There really isn't a place other than a mall that doesn't have a shopping cart that requires me to have to juggle the kids and whatever i buy. Even if i'm at the mall, wheeling over speedbumps, i'm always able to get the kids in first and then open the rear. just my .02.

I have come up with a solution that will work in for my situation.

This thread has derailed from my intentions. I am very happy with my slee bumper.

Christo bring alot of products to our market and thankful we have people like him in our community.

The De-Sta-Co latch with the safety catch was a horrible design. When you closed it, the safety latch part pinched fingers between the safety latch and handle when the safety latch cammed over the locking part. We never used those. If you have not experienced that, or have small children I would be very careful.

View attachment 952117

The newer ones that became available in the last year or so does have a better safety latch mechanism that does not do it and they are worth looking into.

When you open the latch, is the pressure on the struts enough to keep the carriers closed or do they both swing open?
I'm not sure what size latch you are talking about, but mine is the 4000lb and there are no pinch problems. I have 3 kids and my wife drives it all the time with no problem

Yes the struts keep it closed until you pull it out a few inches then it will open.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413060095.074433.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413060144.550706.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413060158.171127.jpg

Believe me we have spent a lot of time on that part. However ease of opening is only one criteria for the carrier design. The 2nd is how well the clamp secures the carrier and eliminate rattles and vibration. I do not feel that the single latch does the same job for the stability of the carriers as what the orientation of the latches we use.

Also we have to cater for single and dual carriers. So we can not sure a single latch.

Also, the addition of gas struts can be done, but if you notice the 4x4 carriers arms are 2"x2" and ours are 3"x3". That makes positioning the struts very difficult. The 3"x3" arms is something we will not change.

We are in the process to design our own latch that should enable us to revist the gas strut option as well as possibly changing the locations of the pins. However that is all still in the design stage.

We have our locking pins in the position they are for a very good reason. However if someone wants to eliminate the safety aspect of those they can easily plug the holes or make a slide plate like the one we supply that covers the holes.

As for the carrier position, there are a couple of reasons but honestly they all can probably be argued the other way. If we did it on the driver side, I bet we would have the same amount of people asking for it the other way. The main reason is so that the larger of the two carriers does not open into traffic when parked. The ladder addition does open into the traffic but it is smaller and a lot of people opt not to run that, or remove then when home. It also offsets the weight of the driver when traveling alone. The only negative is probably a little visibility trade off, but even with a 35" tire there, it is not bad.

There is no problem whatsoever with rattles and vibration with one latch as long as you use the right one! Like I said it is the 4000lb and not the little 2000lb latch. I used the 1 latch set up on my truck for years of hard wheeling with no issue at all
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413060639.333844.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413060717.130984.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413060758.915474.jpg

What wall thickness are your swing arms. Yes mine are 2x2 but they are 3/16 wall tubing. What I have learned over the the last 15 years of fabricating, is there is also such thing as being over built! It is easy to build something out of thick gage steel and oversize parts and have it be strong, but it will also be very heavy. It takes a lot more design to build something light weight and just as strong.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I was just trying to point someone who is unhappy with there current set up to a set up that would better suit his needs. I know you have a lot of happy customers, but for me and a lot of others the inconvenience of your design will not work, I don't think you will ever here anyone complain thAt the 4x4 labs bumper is to easy to open. A vender that will listen to the complaints about there product and address them are the ones that I like to do business with. And it sounds like you are working on it. Looking forward to see what you guys come up with the new latch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom