Possible oil pressure issues causing shutdown after start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got a 79 BJ40 that I hadn’t driven for the last few months. In the past, the oil pressure relief valve/piston would stick and a quick removal and cleaning would do the trick.

This time I still have the issue. I pulled the oil pressure sender and checked it and it appears to be locked up so I’m going to order another one.

I did have an issue with the connectors that plug into the fusible link on the positive side of the battery. I pulled it apart and soldered new wires to the connectors and all seems to be working there.

Does anyone have any Other ideas about what might be triggering the shutdown? Curious if the sensor to the right of the oil pressure sender might be causing the issue.

Thanks for any ideas. I’m at a loss here.

IIRC, on my 1981 there were two oil pressure senders. One is for the dash giraffe and the other is dedicated to the edic system... Have you checked them both to make sure you're fixing the right one?

IIRC, on my 1981 there were two oil pressure senders. One is for the dash giraffe and the other is dedicated to the edic system... Have you checked them both to make sure you're fixing the right one?

Thanks for the reply. I checked the main oil pressure sender and there doesn't seem to be any movement in the diaphraghm so I am going to replace that. The other sender must be the smaller one to the right of the large sender directly under the alternator. Is that the one you are talking about?

I was looking for that part at SOR but haven't found it yet.

Yep... That's the one... For my 1981 2B the part number is 83530-14010

Yep... That's the one... For my 1981 2B the part number is 83530-14010

Awesome! Thank you!

One more question as I have never paid attention to this in all of the years I have owned this cruiser. When you turn the ignition on, the EDIC should move, correct? I'm thinking that the EDIC relay might be dead. To top it off, I am in the middle of a move and my manuals are all packed away. Where is the EDIC relay located?

Thanks again!

T o m

EDIC should move when you hit run, and move again when you start, and then back to the same place when dropped back to run.

Not sure where the rely was. I removed mine when I swapped engines...

EDIC should move when you hit run, and move again when you start, and then back to the same place when dropped back to run.

Not sure where the rely was. I removed mine when I swapped engines...

OK, I think the relay is on the firewall on the passenger side. I dug around online and found what it looks like and I'm pretty sure that's it. Hopefully it doesn't need to be replaced.

I'll watch the EDIC while turning the ignition and see what happens. Thanks again for the info, much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom