Possible new 80 owner seeks right vehicle... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shahram

I ain't got herpes no more.
Threads
Just putting out the jungle drums for the new kid.

Met a very cool dude in the Valley who is seriously in the market for an 80. He's done all his homework regarding year variations, which parts are what, head gasket issues, possible pitfalls, etc. He definitely wants one with lockers. It will be a daily driver/expedition vehicle. This guy is a serious wheeler/gearhead to begin with, so he knows what 80s are about.

He went and took a look at this here:

Lexus LX 450 Champagne Gold 4x4 locking differentials

I saw it and thought, while nice, it's a bit expensive. Original head gasket. But it does have lockers.

What do you think?

Thanks for any and all info.

Shahram

that is expensive.

$8000. Tell the owner it's a gas guzzler! Pic missing a rear center wheel cap - knock off another $40!
Otherwise, the mileage is good for a '97 and if it's as represented make him an offer to start the game. From the write up it does sound like the seller knows what he's got tho.

I thought it was expensive too. They came down to $8800, but I don't know how much farther they'll come down from there. I said the truck was probably worth mid- to high- $6k.

I thought it was expensive too. They came down to $8800, but I don't know how much farther they'll come down from there. I said the truck was probably worth mid- to high- $6k.

That is about how much I paid for mine with 150+K, DS rear dent, and steering fluid leak. That was 4 somthing years ago.

$6K would be too low if that vehicle is in good condition (as advertised) and has all the expected things we know about 80s with that mileage.

I would buy it expecially with no HG symptoms and any evidence of leaks.

But I dont know if that guy is legit - he did mention it handled pretty well and stopped on a dime which we know is BoolSheet! LOL.

Personally, I don't think the price is out of line if the rig has been well cared for. I bought mine 2 1/2 years ago for 11.2K w/103k miles and that was a really good deal for what I got. After looking at many, many abused and neglected rigs, finding one that has been well cared for makes it worth more than run of the mill rigs. Mine had two pages of all of the services that had been performed by Lexus.

When you consider how much time and money many of us invest, a little extra for a nice rig is a mere proverbial drop in the bucket. All of this is based on the rig actually turning out to be a nice one:D

Since the economy is rough right now, that may provide a little bargaining power but since gas is almost free, the gas guzzler argument may not carrry as much weight as it would have 9 months ago.

However, with statements like "stops on a dime" in the ad, maybe he is just another "used car salesman":D

...After looking at many, many abused and neglected rigs, finding one that has been well cared for makes it worth more than run of the mill rigs..

Exactly. I felt sorry for those 80s I passed. Trashed interior and some blowing white smoke when started. I got lucky to find one with good interior condition which is important to me + mech good condition.

That is about how much I paid for mine with 150+K, DS rear dent, and steering fluid leak. That was 4 somthing years ago.

Yeah, I paid $10.5k for mine in '05 with 94k miles and no issues, head gasket replaced.

A lot has changed in 4 years...SUVs are less desirable, everyone's spooked about gas prices spiking again, and the truck has depreciated for an additional 4 years. That, to me, is worth a couple grand right there.

...A lot has changed in 4 years...SUVs are less desirable, everyone's spooked about gas prices spiking again, and the truck has depreciated for an additional 4 years. That, to me, is worth a couple grand right there.

Yeah I know what you mean! I gotten fatter and I have a 2 year old kid! And those my friend is making my wallet depreciate. :lol:

First things first. Tell this cat ( the owner), there is now way in hell this thing is "stopping on a dime"! haha that made me laugh :lol:

Second, he has a loan and is going to have to come out of pocket. I just came out of pocket $2,100 to offload a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee for exactly what he's asking, $8,800.

Third, BEFORE gas went above $4/gal I bought a '94 with 93k + lockers for $8450 in '07.

Lots of ammo to drive this price down, but the simple fact is that he may not have any cash to pay down the loan.

Maybe spend the $100 and get Toyota dealership to give it a x-point inspection. They'll write down everything to cover their butt, which will give you some good negotiation ground as well. I did that and I got a laundry list back. We split the estimate 50/50 and called it a day.

A bit to expensive if you ask me. I looked at many 80s within the past year and bought two. That car is a good deal at around 7K, maybe a bit higher if its super clean. He just has to keep on looking.

By the way, most owners dont know they have lockers, or what its used for. This seller knows and he wants a premium because of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom