Possible move to Reno area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

My Gf and I are possibly looking to relocate from San Diego to the Reno area. I've been to Reno several times over the years and really like the area. I work for the federal govt (DOD) so I'd be looking for a new position. The Gf is a trauma/ER nurse so I'm sure she won't have a hard time finding a job. I'm curious about the areas to live in? We would probally buy a house. We have no kids, just a dog. I look forward to any suggestions and idea. thanks in advance. Below few photos of my 100.

hills1.jpeg

Trona.jpg

view2.jpg

A lot depends on where you work. Commutes between south Reno and north Carson are around half an hour in good weather, but getting across Reno can be half an hour or more. The Tahoe Reno Industrial Center has seen a lot of job growth, but the commute is getting bad from Reno. As far as I know the only trauma ER is Renown in Reno. Both Reno and Carson City have ERs. Real estate pricing is currently high in Reno / Washoe County, not sure about Carson City. DoD could maybe lead you to Fallon, but I know less about the area.

Yeah unfortunately with the boom going on out in American Parkway lots of the surround areas housing markets are going up. Have multiple family/friends in Reno/Carson that handle housing if you want someone to talk to and look for something for you.

ER work for the wife should be pretty easy to find between Carson Tahoe Medical and Renown, two big name hospitals, and the other smaller facilities in the area. Renown is the major trauma unit for all of our area so if it is a severe issue they are shipped into Renown.

Cheap compared to Bay Area. Expensive to us.

Thanks for the info everyone I really appreciate it

Here a crappy condo is only 200k. Five years ago they were 60....

Nice 100! Your going to be in for a bit of a shock with the weather-def. 4 seasons. San Diego is the best in the country for climate. I was raised in CA and loved the fact that the weather never dictated what you could do. This year was great for skiing but February was pretty gray and it snowed in the mountains 26 of the 28 days.
Can't blame you for wanting to get out of CA. They just think wrong there. Come here and wheel with us, you won't be disappointed.:cheers:

My wife is a nurse manager at the VA so let me know if your GF has any questions about nursing in Reno.

Your -100 looks killer.

Thank you!! My 100 has come a long way, I bought it 2 years ago yesterday.

I will be in Reno/Fallon area May 26 to 27. Anything exciting going on that weekend? Any recommendations of things I should check? out? We are staying in the Whitney Peak hotel (the princess decided on that)

Thanks in advance

I will be in Reno/Fallon area May 26 to 27. Anything exciting going on that weekend? Any recommendations of things I should check? out? We are staying in the Whitney Peak hotel (the princess decided on that)

Thanks in advance
Good choice on accommodations, tons to do in the river walk area. Brewers Cabinet is a great place to get a bite and taste some local micro-brew.

Good choice on accommodations, tons to do in the river walk area. Brewers Cabinet is a great place to get a bite and taste some local micro-brew.

Thanks I'll check it out. I've been to The Depot (I think its called) was pretty good.

I went to dinner with clients at the Wild River Grill a couple of weeks ago, not a budget place but the food was exceptional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom