Possible Move to RDCH Triangle Area. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well - This is an ongoing topic around our house and with my company, and it is looking more realistic than it has ever been in the last few years. My company HQ is in Morrisville.

We are used to great public schools where we live, now, so initial thoughts are for looking to move to rural Chapel Hill. Being a KSU and KU Alum, this isn't real "natural," but none of it is at this point :)

Looks like home prices are a little bit higher, but the market has a lot more foreclosures and fewer garages than in KC.

I'll spend some more time on your forum to check out all the fun stuff you all are doing!

Is there such thing as rural Chapel Hill? Probably where all the UNC and Duke professors live...

I spent 8 years in Chapel Hill and its the most liberal place I can imagine in NC. Maybe that suits you but be forewarned. Orange county is a beautiful place but far too crowded and left for a rural raised small government conservative. Good luck in your move and don't sell out other areas that have schools which may not be top rated but have a full complement of AP/honors coursework and still produce students that get in top tier colleges.

Is there such thing as rural Chapel Hill? Probably where all the UNC and Duke professors live...

Need to probably avoid that situation. :)

Need some space - smaller town would be great - we have 2.25 acres now and it is perfect - would always love more but its $$. I have no one around me though, today - so we can have burn piles, shoot a little (very little), let the dog run, etc.

In NC, I can drive the Prius to work, so OK being out a little, but would prefer <45 mins to RDU airport.

I know enough about the triangle to know I don't know much about the triangle other than there are all these places that I am not supposed to live from those who I work with like . . .Cary.

We have a 16-year-old in all honors courses, football and choir. 11-year-old into Soccer, Basketball and Musicals.

Check Chatham county out around Jordan Lake. Beautiful country around that area and not too bad of a drive. I live in Morrisville, mostly because it keeps me a close drive to Raleigh and NCSU (for sporting events mostly), but I'm only 6mi from work in RTP. There is very little sense of community for anglo-saxons in my area as there are a lot of Indian and Asians. But my neighbors keep nice houses and lawns and don't complain that I'm welding, grinding, painting in my driveway on a regular basis. We moved here in '03 into a crawlspace neighborhood, which I liked since it was one of about 3 subdivisions in the area at that time. Now, there is barely a tree anywhere and slab home communities have popped up all around us. I don't have a problem with slab homes, but these builders were churning them out a dime a dozen. At any rate, good luck with the search, and as mentioned earlier, unless you are a bleeding heart liberal, country club kinda' family, I'd avoid CH... then again, I'm a little biased :D

:beer: Ramon

I spent 8 years in Chapel Hill and its the most liberal place I can imagine in NC. Maybe that suits you but be forewarned. Orange county is a beautiful place but far too crowded and left for a rural raised small government conservative. Good luck in your move and don't sell out other areas that have schools which may not be top rated but have a full complement of AP/honors coursework and still produce students that get in top tier colleges.

I prefer moderates who seek to get stuff done vs the extremes who seek to get on talk shows. I enjoy Sporting Clays, shooting sports, obviously Toyota's, beer, computers, camping, disc golf - - not all at the same time, but all without excessive regulation.

I imagine that UNC is like KU at Lawrence - - not sure UNC is THAT liberal - - UNC/KU - - they even have a coach in common.

I spent 8 years in Chapel Hill and its the most liberal place I can imagine in NC.

Have you been to Asheville? People smoking J's on the street up in Asheville, have yet to see that in Chapel Hill, although I'm not up there too often.

I really like Morrisville due to its central location. However, I moved up to south Durham county recently and enjoy the more rural feel. I can see my neighbor's houses from my house, but I'm separated by 30', maybe 40', of woods on either side, as opposed to just a lawn inbetween.

Aside from location, if you like rural, then make sure the woods around the house you get are protected. Developments are going to keep coming for a long while and unless you find a slot where the government is preventing a developer from coming in, they likely will at some point.

Doesn't Durham still require all guns to be registered with the county? I wanna say maybe I heard that was getting repealed...?

Allen and I just confirmed when he sold me my pistol earlier this summer that this law was repealed. Gun registration is no longer a requirement in Durham county.

Allen and I just confirmed when he sold me my pistol earlier this summer that this law was repealed. Gun registration is no longer a requirement in Durham county.

And, they have been ordered to destroy the "list" that had been accumulated from those who did comply.

To the OP, I would stay away from Wake County schools at this point. Both my daughters did very well in their system, yet, the district is exploding into a GIANT cluster phawk. This year the district opened with over 140k students, already over crowded, expecting more growth in the coming years with no hope growth will slow down.

I'd also advise you to be wary of your commute, the roads are getting more and more bloated with no plans for any type of mass transit or any other methods of relieving the increasingly busy and bloated roads. I came from Silicon Valley, grew up there and witnessed the commute become one of the worst in the nation. In 5 years, I predict this area won't be far behind.

So much great feedback - I really appreciate it.

John/Johnny - that is good info. I actually have items that require ATF approvals, so I will be sure to look very hard at rules there. I know NC approved silencers for hunting last year.

Mtb: I have heard about the upheaval with Wake Co schools - the politics, etc. I didn't realize it was so bad, so that is great input.

I have experienced the drive just from work to Cary for dinner at like 6-7 PM and I was like . . ugh. I am hoping to work long hours M-Thu to beat the traffic and "work" from home Fridays. We will see how that goes LOL.

As a teacher/coach who competes annually with the Science Olympiad teams at both Chapel Hill High and East Chapel Hill High School I can tell you their programs are top notch. Sadly, one of the best science teachers in the state just retired from ECHHS.

Rice

Last edited:
Be sure to think wisely if you have NFA items. The move is no big deal by filling out ATF change of address forms but the liberal counties like Wake, Orange, Mecklenberg, etc have anti-constitutional sheriffs who think they control your access to NFA items. If you move to any of these counties you are likely going to need to pursue a trust vs a lot less hassle in NFA friendly counties. The majority of NC is very NFA friendly but if you think you are going to have NFA goodies in Wake Co or Chapel Hill without a lot of BS think again. Those areas are very different from the vast majority of NC. Either way NC is a great state with fast access to mountains and beach. Climate is great, people are generally salt of the earth nice folks as well. You'll like it here.

Thanks GG and Rice - -I do have a gun trust and we are leaning toward Pittsboro at the moment. I will be sure to follow-up with my attorney and local laws before hand.

Would love any feedback on Northwood High in Pittsboro if anyone is familiar with it? After just a little research it seems pretty similar to Blue Valley Southwest were the kids go / would go now.

IF it looks like I am taking the new job, my in-laws will come up and be with the kids and my wife and I will come out and check out a few schools, neighborhoods, etc.

I have worked for this company for the last 2.5 years and each time I come out I try to do a TON of driving around checking things out. We also had a 4 day vacation to the area in Fall of 2012 where we did lots of investigation, saw all three major school campuses, etc.

I spent 8 years in Chapel Hill and its the most liberal place I can imagine in NC. Maybe that suits you but be forewarned. Orange county is a beautiful place but far too crowded and left for a rural raised small government conservative..

NOT TRUE!! orange county is big you also have Hillsborough witch is in orange county!

I live about 40 minutes from Pittsboro. Nice area and very good deer and turkey hunting if you are a hunter. Deep River Sporting Clays and Drakes Landing are near by and both nice places. San-Lee Gun club is close to DRSC and is a good private club that is only $75 a year with high house low house skeet @ $2.75 a round, 250yd range and pistol bay. Woody's Hunting and Rifle Club is opening the first of the year near Moncure with 1000 yd range and everything in between plus pistol area. Its also private but taking memberships. Pittsboro is a nice mix of modern progressive and straight up country folks. Northwood is generally considered a good high school with good demographics and supported by the N.Chatham tax base which is good because of the number of UNC types that live there and work in Chapel Hill. The area can't be beat for locality to very good universities, state and private.

Last edited:
Yes jrmudder you are right but Orange county is at the mercy of the populace base and how they vote....that's Chapel Hill. My comments are directed squarely at Chapel Hill. If you live in Orange Co., even the pretty, rural areas like Hillsborough and Dairyland Road areas you still get the taxation, mentality and values of Chapel Hill shoved down your throat.

Last edited:
I live in Pittsboro and used to work in Morrisville, the commute isn't bad at all until you get close to Cary. Of course, with all the new development around 540, that is changing. Pittsboro has been good for us, it has what you need but you may have to drive 20 minutes away for some things. I live in one of the subdivisions but have made several friends who let me hunt on their land. My kids aren't in high school yet, but currently attend a charter school, however, the :princess: is seriously considering Northwood based on what she's learned about it both from research and from current students. Plus, I wouldn't mind having another Toyota fan in the neighborhood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom