Possible manifold option for a 3bII turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello guys,

I have been researching for a homebrew turbo for my 3BII on my bj40. My engine came off a 1998 donor Dyna truck. I have a Mitsubishi turbo (D50 in USa) with 3 bolts and a Benz (300td) turbo with 4 bolts... both of them in my attempt to get the right one.

I live in Honduras, Central America and unfortunately we never got the 13bt engine as to get a donor manifold... but in my research, I went to the local truck wreck yard and came across an exhaust manifold off a 14b, which is exactly the same as my 3BII exhaust, I had the opportunity to mess with a pile of exhaust manifolds and compare them around. I found what they told me is an exhaust manifold of an ISUZU 3.9 Liter turbo diesel engine and went ahead and measured them both. In my opinion and the guy's from the wrecker helping me out, the two manifolds matched on their bolt pattern. Unfortunately at that time I didn't have any $ with me to buy the manifold and test it on my truck, but to both of us, it seemed like the ISUZU manifold will bolt to the Toyota 3BII head. Does anybody here has a way to confirm this? It would be great to know there are other options to the hard to find Toyota 13BT manifold.

Also, the isuzu one is 4 bolt pattern.

Just my findings on possible options for that homebrew turbo!! regards

whoa.... your way out on a different realm than most of us here. we didn't get 14b-t in Canada, all thou i know its not all canucks on here.

but you are giving us some great new info...

if you want a 13b-t manifold. you might have to get from abroad. like we do in Can, from G&Scruiser parts.

on here one member built an adapter to use a 13b-t manifold on a 3bII. his name on here is Crushers. he's on vacation right now thou... If a 14b-t works to join a 3bII you will be a pace setter for us.

best of luck,

I can't remember fine the 3B exhaus manifold .. but somebody said, flit it up .. funtion .. ? I'm not sure, but why not test it..?

Yes Tapage,

That works for the 3B engine, not with the 3BII (newer design of the same engine) since they changed the head, the exhaust and I think, not sure, it is no longer a sleeved engine :(

Tapage said:
I can't remember fine the 3B exhaus manifold .. but somebody said, flit it up .. funtion .. ? I'm not sure, but why not test it..?

Flipping works with the 3B BUT then the output is at the end rather than the center. It also points up when flipped which can cause clearance problems.

I can not speak to the isuzu engine, however I do think you are correct on the 14b and 14b-t engines, these followed the production of the 3bII and 13BT and had rotory pump and updated head (unlike the 13BT) The valve cover is identical to the 3bII valve cover if that is any indication. I have been looking into buying some 14b engines and found they were used in the bazillian bandeirante . Hope that is some help.

Cheers,

Michael

bj40man said:
Hello guys,

I have been researching for a homebrew turbo for my 3BII on my bj40. My engine came off a 1998 donor Dyna truck. I have a Mitsubishi turbo (D50 in USa) with 3 bolts and a Benz (300td) turbo with 4 bolts... both of them in my attempt to get the right one.

I live in Honduras, Central America and unfortunately we never got the 13bt engine as to get a donor manifold... but in my research, I went to the local truck wreck yard and came across an exhaust manifold off a 14b, which is exactly the same as my 3BII exhaust, I had the opportunity to mess with a pile of exhaust manifolds and compare them around. I found what they told me is an exhaust manifold of an ISUZU 3.9 Liter turbo diesel engine and went ahead and measured them both. In my opinion and the guy's from the wrecker helping me out, the two manifolds matched on their bolt pattern. Unfortunately at that time I didn't have any $ with me to buy the manifold and test it on my truck, but to both of us, it seemed like the ISUZU manifold will bolt to the Toyota 3BII head. Does anybody here has a way to confirm this? It would be great to know there are other options to the hard to find Toyota 13BT manifold.

Also, the isuzu one is 4 bolt pattern.

Just my findings on possible options for that homebrew turbo!! regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom