Events/Trails Possible Hosting of TLCA Event (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since @Tony_Farson nominated me, here's the thread as promised.

If we as a club are gonna host an event, I'm gonna definitely need some help to organize it.

First off, who is willing to be part of the committee to explore what it takes to host an event?

Secondly, we need options for where to host the event. Ideas, suggestions, and experience are welcome.

Discuss below, and we can re-visit during next months meeting.

You can always decline the role! ;) I will be on the committee and can act as a backup should you get overwhelmed with normal work/life stuff. It would be good to have one or two more. I'm wondering if @MountNGoat might be willing to be involved since he's got experience with leading TLCA events. No pressure, just asking. :)

I'd be willing to help out, but I'm honestly new at this whole thing. I've not done so much wheeling so I wouldn't be able to give input for locations and such, but if I can be of some use for making calls to sponsors for raffles, gifts, prizes, etc. then I'd be willing.

You can always decline the role! ;) I will be on the committee and can act as a backup should you get overwhelmed with normal work/life stuff. It would be good to have one or two more. I'm wondering if @MountNGoat might be willing to be involved since he's got experience with leading TLCA events. No pressure, just asking. :)

Happy to help out. I can set up a GoToMeeting for whoever is interested and we can get the ball rolling. Thinking that my friend and new TLCA President @CandyPants might be able to shorten the learning curve on what we need to do, what it means for a club to "host" an event, how we're covered personally (or not) with respect to liability, how TLCA blanket insurance may or may not be a thing, and lots of other things I haven't thought of.

Note that I'm on the east coast for work until the end of the month, so time zone is a little off :). And of course I'll miss the Feb meeting.

Happy to help out. I can set up a GoToMeeting for whoever is interested and we can get the ball rolling. Thinking that my friend and new TLCA President @CandyPants might be able to shorten the learning curve on what we need to do, what it means for a club to "host" an event, how we're covered personally (or not) with respect to liability, how TLCA blanket insurance may or may not be a thing, and lots of other things I haven't thought of.

Note that I'm on the east coast for work until the end of the month, so time zone is a little off :). And of course I'll miss the Feb meeting.

Thanks Steve (and Heather)! We have some time... I think. We need to figure out the what, the when, and then the how of it and I am guessing the what and when will take up some time before we figure the how (logistics). As we discussed in the meeting, I am hoping for a milder "overland" type event rather than anything hardcore like Rubicon. This is mainly because we will be able to have more participation with an event that allows for milder built rigs.

How did I guess you would step Up? ;)

Thanks Steve (and Heather)! We have some time... I think. We need to figure out the what, the when, and then the how of it and I am guessing the what and when will take up some time before we figure the how (logistics). As we discussed in the meeting, I am hoping for a milder "overland" type event rather than anything hardcore like Rubicon. This is mainly because we will be able to have more participation with an event that allows for milder built rigs.
As I mentioned in the meeting I think we should work out a budget before we get to far into planning. I like the idea of hosting an event but it has to be fiscally possible. I would hate to see us blow our whole bankroll on an event with a deficit expense. IMHO we should shoot for a break even outcome at a minimum.

As I mentioned in the meeting I think we should work out a budget before we get to far into planning. I like the idea of hosting an event but it has to be fiscally possible. I would hate to see us blow our whole bankroll on an event with a deficit expense. IMHO we should shoot for a break even outcome at a minimum.
I agree. I'd like to get some idea of costs so we can know if it is even something to consider. That is my hope with the committee.

I agree. I'd like to get some idea of costs so we can know if it is even something to consider. That is my hope with the committee.
I would love to step up for the committee but I know it would be a disservice to the club due to limitations on my time.

I would love to step up for the committee but I know it would be a disservice to the club due to limitations on my time.
I imagine a lot of the planning can be done electronically either by email or zoom or something. Just guessing though since I'm not running this show. ;)

Ok, since @MountNGoat volunteered, lets get a online meeting setup and see if we can get this thing rolling. I'll leave it to you @MountNGoat to schedule it.My experience is limited to attending nice events, and I have close relationship with the boys who run FJ Summit, so I can lean on them for some help/advice.

I'm available most days in the late afternoon/early evening for an online video meeting. I'm also always happy to host here in the shop if we want to meet in-person.

Sounds good. @Tony_Farson what’s the time pressure on this? I’m on the east coast for work till early March, figuring an evening call to accommodate schedules will be easier (on me) for when I get back.

No time expectations at all as far as I am concerned. This is really more of an exploratory committee right now to collect info on what it will take to make this happen. Then we can vote on whether or not we want to proceed or wait.

Hey folks, in addition to my illustrious career (all of 2 months) being TLCA President, I am chair of the Lone Star Land Cruiser Round Up. I can help with answering questions and can send you the budget for Round Up (which is a very long standing and large event). It will at least give you an idea of what a 100-150 rig event takes. Mind you, the first year you will have a smaller event by nature, but it at least will give you a start. I can join an online meeting too if it works with my schedule. Thanks @MountNGoat for volunteering me. LOL

Hey folks, in addition to my illustrious career (all of 2 months) being TLCA President, I am chair of the Lone Star Land Cruiser Round Up. I can help with answering questions and can send you the budget for Round Up (which is a very long standing and large event). It will at least give you an idea of what a 100-150 rig event takes. Mind you, the first year you will have a smaller event by nature, but it at least will give you a start. I can join an online meeting too if it works with my schedule. Thanks @MountNGoat for volunteering me. LOL

Thank you! Maybe we can get on a call/meeting once @MountNGoat and @reklund5 are ready to chat.

So, something I'll throw out there.. we had been interested in doing something similar... maybe a joint club hosted event might be cooler, pool our resources and people?

So, something I'll throw out there.. we had been interested in doing something similar... maybe a joint club hosted event might be cooler, pool our resources and people?

I mentioned doing something like this in our last meeting too. Let's see what comes from the meeting with Heather so we know what we are looking at in regards to costs and go from there.

I think this is a great idea to help grow our local chapter, increase participation, and also get a little national recognition in the process. Nevada is so unique in that we can truly put together an event that highlights both some of the absolute remoteness of the state (which we take for granted but can be eye opening to those on the eastern part of the country), along with greatly variable geography and terrain. You can go from high desert to aspen forest to alpine tundra in 30 minutes.

I think a "tour" across a few of the basin and ranges in the middle of the state, centered around Austin NV, would hit all of those sweet spots. People drive from all across the country to attend Rubithon, Cruise Moab, etc so don't let the remote starting location be a detractor. I also agree that a traditional 4x4 route that is passible with minimal mods other than good tires and minimal lift would increase turnout without too many limitations on route. I guess that's what everyone calls "overlanding" nowadays. After Rubithon, so early July would ensure minimal snow high up.

Just a few thoughts.

I think this is a great idea to help grow our local chapter, increase participation, and also get a little national recognition in the process. Nevada is so unique in that we can truly put together an event that highlights both some of the absolute remoteness of the state (which we take for granted but can be eye opening to those on the eastern part of the country), along with greatly variable geography and terrain. You can go from high desert to aspen forest to alpine tundra in 30 minutes.

I think a "tour" across a few of the basin and ranges in the middle of the state, centered around Austin NV, would hit all of those sweet spots. People drive from all across the country to attend Rubithon, Cruise Moab, etc so don't let the remote starting location be a detractor. I also agree that a traditional 4x4 route that is passible with minimal mods other than good tires and minimal lift would increase turnout without too many limitations on route. I guess that's what everyone calls "overlanding" nowadays. After Rubithon, so early July would ensure minimal snow high up.

Just a few thoughts.

Thanks for the input! I think this would be awesome. I had initially thought a trek through Black Rock would be really cool. Maybe do the emigrant trails to Lassen or something. Adding historical landmarks to the trip would interest lots of folks who wouldn't otherwise consider an "overland" trip worth traveling for. But touring the center of the Silver State would be cool too and there is no shortage of historical and interesting places out there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom