Events/Trails Possible Hosting of TLCA Event (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like the idea of Austin Nevada but unlike Moab resources (hotels, restaurants, KOA) are scarce. Doing this as a “tour” with different camp each night would require dividing into teams but doable. Upside of hosting this sort of event is you have a captive audience that are with you from start to finish which creates sense of community and social media buzz.

Be worth reaching out to the Austin chamber of commerce and get their feedback. Be interesting to see if they would be willing to work with us to secure park or other community space for check-in, vehicle inspections, and event coordination.

I like the idea of Austin Nevada but unlike Moab resources (hotels, restaurants, KOA) are scarce. Doing this as a “tour” with different camp each night would require dividing into teams but doable. Upside of hosting this sort of event is you have a captive audience that are with you from start to finish which creates sense of community and social media buzz.

Be worth reaching out to the Austin chamber of commerce and get their feedback. Be interesting to see if they would be willing to work with us to secure park or other community space for check-in, vehicle inspections, and event coordination.
Definitely some good points. Austin has a decent (recently expanded) gas station but food and lodging are very limited. Maybe 2 small motels, a single cafe with capacity for 30, and no groceries beyond ice, beer, and chips (the basics, right?). Talking to the local chamber would be a great idea. There is a "roping arena" at the bottom part of town but its kind of dusty and not the most scenic camp spot. One option for a base camp/staging area could be the large group site lower down on Big Creek. That's about 15 minutes from town. Another determining factor would be the size and structure of the event (day runs vs overnighters or a combo with a central staging area). 50 trucks, not including committee members would be very manageable. 100 trucks not so much without some serious logistical issues. With 50 trucks, it would be easy to split into a few different runs. I know a few good potential day and overnight runs in the area. Obviously this would be a 2022 event at the earliest so we would have plenty of time to plan out and prerun trails. That would be fun to do as a club too.

I also like the Black Rock/High Rock/Soldier Meadows idea but it would be tough to make that a multi day event without a central location that has fuel. Most of the neat stuff is an easy 1-2 hours from Gerlach. There is a ranch in Soldier Meadows that has accommodations and great camp spots. It would make a good staging area. Maybe bring in a fuel truck?

Definitely some good points. Austin has a decent (recently expanded) gas station but food and lodging are very limited. Maybe 2 small motels, a single cafe with capacity for 30, and no groceries beyond ice, beer, and chips (the basics, right?). Talking to the local chamber would be a great idea. There is a "roping arena" at the bottom part of town but its kind of dusty and not the most scenic camp spot. One option for a base camp/staging area could be the large group site lower down on Big Creek. That's about 15 minutes from town. Another determining factor would be the size and structure of the event (day runs vs overnighters or a combo with a central staging area). 50 trucks, not including committee members would be very manageable. 100 trucks not so much without some serious logistical issues. With 50 trucks, it would be easy to split into a few different runs. I know a few good potential day and overnight runs in the area. Obviously this would be a 2022 event at the earliest so we would have plenty of time to plan out and prerun trails. That would be fun to do as a club too.

I also like the Black Rock/High Rock/Soldier Meadows idea but it would be tough to make that a multi day event without a central location that has fuel. Most of the neat stuff is an easy 1-2 hours from Gerlach. There is a ranch in Soldier Meadows that has accommodations and great camp spots. It would make a good staging area. Maybe bring in a fuel truck?

I am hoping the club will lock onto a 4-night trip from Vya to Denio Junction in early June. 168 miles as I have it routed... I think folks could bring enough fuel to make that. Maybe not. We'll see! ;)

I am hoping the club will lock onto a 4-night trip from Vya to Denio Junction in early June. 168 miles as I have it routed... I think folks could bring enough fuel to make that. Maybe not. We'll see! ;)
My pig has 50 Gallon tank so I should be good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom