Possible HG Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I recently picked up a 94 FZJ80 and have started building/repairing the truck. I recently replaced the valve cover gasket since it was leaking oil pretty bad and the bolts were not properly tightened down. I thought this was my only leak, but I was wrong... I noticed oil is also leaking from the distributor and I have ordered a replacement o-ring and will put that on once it is delivered. I also changed the oil and oil filter after the valve cover gasket and have been monitoring the levels very closely. It doesn't seem to be leaking much at all. Getting to my question... I was under the truck cleaning all the sludge and grease away and I noticed a possible leak around the rear of the head gasket. I am not sure if the sludge was already there from when the valve cover was leaking. I wiped off most of the sludge and it looks like black tar. I checked the coolant and it is still red with no signs of oil in it. Would this black sludge be coolant/oil mixture or just oil with dirt in it? Do you think the HG would be leaking? The truck isn't overheating at all and I've done some trips/offroading with it being completely okay. Any help would be awesome!

20200318_150751.jpg

20200318_154300.jpg

20200318_154312.jpg

Give it a good clean and keep an eye on it. I very much doubt if oil is leaking out of the head gasket.

That's what I was thinking. Thought it would be strange for oil to be coming out of the HG. Ill keep an eye on it. Really hoping I don't have to pull the car apart again for the HG

That was most likely nthe oil from the VC seal.

Did you replace the spark plug tube seals on the VC at the same time?

Also the PCV valve and grommet?
Those all reduce oil leaks as well as vacuum leaks.

I replaced the spark plug tube seals the same time as the valve cover gasket. I didn't replace to PCV valve and grommet because I didn't have them at the time. I replaced the tubes for the PCV though. I know I should have done the PCV grommet at the same time. For now the engine has been running pretty smooth so I don't think I have any issues with vacuum leaks. We will see as time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom