Possible heat related power loss (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all! Not exactly a car literate person outside of super basic jobs like oil changes so with that...

I have a mostly stock 1989 FJ62 except for suspension and small interior tweaks.
I recently had the engine tuned up to correct some shoddy work in the past and finally felt comfortable trying to get some light offroading in.
Today I took it up Del Sur Ridge in southern California and it was doing fine for about 3 hours. It doesn't even require 4WD for some as long as you stay on the main path. I was actually ecstatic that it was going so well. I did my best to keep an eye on the temp gauge which never went all the way to 'H.' Nearing the top, it threw a CEL so I pulled over and let it sit for about 30 minutes.

Well, it was nearing 100+ degrees outside at the peak and the ol' FJ just lost power. The first time, I just twisted the key again and it turned on and I was able to make it over a small hill. Then about 10 minutes later, it shut off again. This continued 3 more times until it completely stopped turning over. After staring at it for 5 minutes with the working mental capacity of a boiled hotdog, I tried jumping the car and it turned on. Sadly, it only made it 5 feet before shutting off. Each time it shut off, the dash lights ie CEL, Brake, High Beam, etc. would all turn on as if in ACC power only. Luckily the friend in front of me was able to tow me over the rest of the small bumps. The rest of the way, I used our good friends gravity and momentum to slowly roll back down. It took about 2 hours getting down, and by then it seemed something had cooled down enough to start and I was luckily able to drive the 50 miles back home without issues.

Anyone have issues like this or have input where I should start looking to diagnose and prevent the issue on future trips?

You should be able to see the code that tripped the CEL. I don’t know the procedure but the factory service manual should detail it.

otherwise maybe something up with your fuel pump relay or vapor lock...hard to say from the back seat.

Hi, Check those fuseable links at the battery. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom