Possible good news for next gen cruiser... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the August 15 issue of Automotive News (a trade rag for auto manufacturers and dealers) there is an article on upcoming products from Japanese automakers.

Aside from a little blurb about the FJ Cruiser, it had this to say about the Land Cruiser:

The icon of the line-up soldiers on, but low U.S. sales mean that the redesign likely will have more input from markets such as Australia and Africa and less from the United States. The Land Cruiser will continue to be sold here; the redesign will arrive for the 2006 or 2007 model year.

Gives some hope, at least, that it wont go through some complete independently sprung soccermomification, and will retain it's offroadable roots.

Food for thought, anyhow.

I've got an 06, so it would have to be at least an 07. Should be interesting!

How many times have i said this?........the Land Cruiser will not be droped from the Toyota line up!

Landpimp said:
How many times have i said this?........the Land Cruiser will not be droped from the Toyota line up!

I'm sure they are making a nice profit on the 8,000 units per year plus the 12,000 LX470's per year.

Intercooled Turbo diesel baby. auto tranny. 3 locking diffs. factory winch. cloth interior. sun roof. center console frig. dual batteries. bluetooth. factory snorkel. factory hand throttle. night vision. rear AC. factory rear tire carrier. on and on to the break of dawn!

Ok, I am waking up now.

I hope you are right.

uzj100

Intercooled Turbo diesel baby, 6 speed auto tranny with a granny low (5 or 6:1 ratio?) and then the remaining 5-speed automatic ratios (low 1st at 3:5:1 all the way up to OD) with auto/manual shift modes, transfer case with 4:1 low range and ability to shift ranges while moving, solid axles front and rear with 3 locking torsen diffs. the KDSS system from the GX 470, factory winch, vinyl interior, sun roof, center console frig., dual batteries. bluetooth. factory snorkel. factory hand throttle nightvision, rear AC, factory rear tire carrier, factory welder & aircompressor under the hood, MSRP of under $22,000, and GVW of 6000 lbs or more (SUV tax break) on and on to the break of dawn!

Ok, I am waking up now.

I hope you are right.

Rusty Phillips

Last edited:
I/C turbo diesel, 5 spd manual tranny, full floater rear axle w/ leaf springs, live front axle, snorkel, altitude compensator, 4-wheel discs, manual windows, cloth seats, diff locks, rear barn doors or flatbed. What? Oh, that's right, Toyota already makes this...it's called the LC 78/79!

Lexus salesman today stated that they were just informed that the new 2007 LX's (redesigned) would start arriving in January of 2006. He did not tell me this until he was aware that I was not in the market for a new LX. I guess the only reason I believe this is because of the weird things Lexus/Toyota has been doing with the LC/LX. Like last year not putting the VVTi engine in the LX/LC. If this is true, it might be neat someday to own a 2006 LC/LX that was only sold for a few months with the VVTi engine.

A quick change like that could indicate a simple rebadging of the Sequoia in Lexus trim.

Last edited:
Kanab said:
Lexus salesman today stated that they were just informed that the new 2007 LX's (redesigned) would start arriving in January of 2006. He did not tell me this until he was aware that I was not in the market for a new LX. I guess the only reason I believe this is because of the weird things Lexus/Toyota has been doing with the LC/LX. Like last year not putting the VVTi engine in the LX/LC. If this is true, it might be neat someday to own a 2006 LC/LX that was only sold for a few months with the VVTi engine.

your lexus salesman was wrong. the new lx will be introduced in late 2007 as a 2008 model.

jjbodean1970 said:
your lexus salesman was wrong. the new lx will be introduced in late 2007 as a 2008 model.

Damn, who would of thunk that a Lexus salesmen was wrong? Now that I think about it his mouth was moving. That should of been my first clue. I had my tires rotated today and the service advisor told me that they only rotated front to rear because if you crossed them they might separate the tread :rolleyes: I guess I need to let Michelin know that their instructions about Xing their tires when rotating is a bad idea ;) The other thing was that I just wanted my tires rotated and they also changed my oil, so I got a free oil change. It's a clown show everytime I go to the dealer. Kind of entertaining in a twisted way.

Turbo-Diesel / 6-Speed / Full-Time 4WD / Solid Axles / Front & Center & Rear Diff Locks / Manual Windows / Power Nothing (Cept maybe braking und steering)... I'd buy it in a hearbeat. :D

Traction Control / Torsens / Automatics / Power Windows are ghey ;)

IFS with coils instead of torsion bars, 4.4 litre V8 twin turbo intercooled diesel, 5 or 6 speed auto, unfortunately locking diffs won't be an option as TRAC control or whatever(ABS) will be used, my thoughts.......... I'll take one!!!

jjbodean - do you think 2008 model year is also redesign date for the next generation LC? Just don't see them introducing any earlier, but then again, the 2007 model year is the 50th anniversary year, I believe.

Ocelot said:
Turbo-Diesel / 6-Speed / Full-Time 4WD / Solid Axles / Front & Center & Rear Diff Locks / Manual Windows / Power Nothing (Cept maybe braking und steering)... I'd buy it in a hearbeat. :D

Traction Control / Torsens / Automatics / Power Windows are ghey ;)

The HZJ73/76 (2-door soft top/4-door hard top) JDM model almost fits your bill (no turbo, but you can add a Toyota turbo and I/C for the 1HZ for a few grand) but w/ part-time 4wd and 5spd manual tranny, recirc ball steering. Also no air bags whatsoever. Too bad it was discontinued last year in Japan...it was only $26K for the ZX model ($1.5K extra for FF/FR diff locks). The 2-door version would probably destroy the FJ cruiser off road.

Yeah... I'm importing a JDM 5-Spd HDJ-81 w/Diff Locks... Turbo-Diesel, 5-Speed, Full-Time 4WD w/FR&RR (and center of course) Lockers. Going to take a few months though

flyfish4life said:
jjbodean - do you think 2008 model year is also redesign date for the next generation LC? Just don't see them introducing any earlier, but then again, the 2007 model year is the 50th anniversary year, I believe.

here is the latest info i have:

Lexus LX 470: JX is the name given to Lexus' new body on frame SUV, arriving for the 2008 model year. one engine likely will be offered , a 5.4 liter v8. the JX will share a rwd platform with the upcoming redesigned tundra pickup. The JX will replace Lexus' LX suv.

it appears there will be a disconnect with the lx and l/c with the redesign.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom