Possible FJ80 Convert (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CaptHamster

TLCA #19645
Threads
Hey all, I'm an FJ62 owner, but lately I've been looking at some FJ80s and...I really like them. Don't get my wrong, I love my 62, I'm just looking for something...more comfortable and a bit more practical. The 62, at this point, is uncomfortable to drive and ride in, is not as good looking as an 80 (in my opinion) and doesn't have some things I'd like in a truck, like a 3rd row seat option or full time 4WD. Am I looking at an 80 for the wrong reasons? I just want something that has the same off-road capabilities as my 62, but just more comfortable for the everyday grind. Advice/help?

P.S. - How's the gas mileage?

Forget about considering gas mileage. If that's the concern the go Honda.

I have a 60 and an LX. The two have nothing in common other than they are made by the same company. BUT I love the 60 for different reasons I love the LX. The LX I go out of my way to hide my mods the best I can. The 60 I dont really care. Its not cush, it doesn't ride nice. Its noisy. But I like the utilitarian feel of it. The LX is the vehicle of choice when doing long trips. Or doing expeditions. It sometimes feels like cheating.

Get the 80. It is a rock solid off road vehicle with comfort added.

My mpg ranges from 10 to 15 depending on how I drive. Of course there are many factors that go into mpg. If you would like to maximize your mpg keep your truck as light as possible, keep wind resistance down as much as possible, mod your engine for efficiency, and keep your foot out of the skinny pedal.

drive a '93 and or up '80; you'll be amazed at the power difference and buttery smooth ride. and what they said too.

I had a 62 and about the only thing better about it was the styling. The 80 is comfier, quieter, faster, tows the trailer better, hauls more kids better, wheels better with lockers, etc. I still see the 62 around town and sometimes regret losing it possibly because of the attachment I had with it because of all the bloody knuckles and work I had to do on it. The 80 has been very trouble free compared to the 62 and is much more capable with way fewer mods than the 62 had.

as DD and family car nothing can beat the 80 .. but for a trail rig 60 series are the rule .. much more simple .. less size and weight ... just IMOP --

as DD and family car nothing can beat the 80 .. but for a trail rig 60 series are the rule .. much more simple .. less size and weight ... just IMOP --

X2 I have both, basically stock and the 60 out performs the 80 off road. On the road is the opposite.

I too have had both, I had an 88 and 89 62 and have had 2 94's and now a 97 (my sons). I love all of them and as others have said, you will regret selling your 62. In a perfect world it would be nice to have both. Some days I would be more in the mood to drive the 62 and others the 80. But...if I could only have one, it would have to be the 80, especially if it is a daily driver or trip vehicle. When all factors are considered and weighed, the 80 will come out on top.
Rusty

That's really the main reason I've even given thought to the 80 series. I'll be using the truck 95% grocery getting and 5% desert driving. I definitely won't be getting anything new anytime soon (I'm a high school student, I'm glad I even have a car to begin with) but it's just wishful thinking, in a sense. It's a love-hate relationship with my 62:p

Also, couple quick questions. What's the difference between the 4.5L V6 in the late model 80s and the 4.0L in the early models? Also, what's the difference between the two automatic transmissions used in early/late models?

I never saw a V6 in a 80 series .. all are 6 inline engine 4.6 = 1FZ-F and then in the earlyer models the 3FE again a 6 inline 4.0

What's the difference between the 4.5L V6 in the late model 80s and the 4.0L in the early models? Also, what's the difference between the two automatic transmissions used in early/late models?

In the US, we got two engines; the 4.0L in-line 6 cylinder 3FE (91-92) which is a fuel injected engine producing 155hp, and the 4.5L in-line 6 cylinder 1FZ-FE (93-97) which is a DOHC fuel injected engine producing 212hp. There are hundreds of differences in the 2 engines but the main difference is the 1FZ-FE is much more powerful.

3FE: 155 hp @ 4400rpm. 220 lb-ft torque @ 3000 rpm.
1FZFE: 212 hp @ 4600 rpm. 275 lb-ft torque @ 4400rpm.

There were 3 different, but closely related automatic transmissions available to US buyers. There really isn't much difference in the grand scheme of things; the earlier trannies are larger in physical size and have less electronics. You'll frequently hear the earlier transmission called a "bus tranny".

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom