Possible ECU damage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks!
I have a 2013 diesel 200 series. I struggle to find the reason for the issues that i have on my car:

1. Cruise control: it comes and goes. Bet it works 30% of the times, (all actions on handle). Bought new handle but that didnt solve it.

2. Bought lock up mate plus+ but that wont work. According to the self diag. Its nothing wrong, but it just wont engage the lockup (only when the car locks it up according to the parapetres itself).

3. Suddenly tese issues comes up simuntaneously:
A. VGRS DEFECT
B. TACHOMETER AND SPEEDOMETER DEFECT
C. PCV DEFECT
D. HIGH AUTOMATIC OIL TEMP
E. HVAC DEFECT
F. TAILGATE WONT OPEN!(?) WTF?
G. SEATBELT WARNING SOUND WONT START

then suddenly while driving, all of it seems to work fine again.

Question:
1. Do you belive this can be related to a damaged ecu?
2. Do you belive it is due to a faulty connector?
3. Do you think this can happen because a faulty tailgate handle? (Heard about a can bus issue that might heckle with the computer.

Really hoping for response, cause im tearing my hair off my head, just loocking for the answers, and i really dont hav much hair left...

Regards/
Affim - the Norwegian!

There are many unrelated errors from different systems controlled by different computers.
You may have an electrical problem.

Start with the battery. Have you tested?

Any chance of water leakage into the cabin?

As far as the cruise control and lockup..

Check the brake switch. Very possible it’s faulty (it might have two circuits one for brake lights one for ecm Input for cruise etc), I used to see this all the time on gm trucks

There are many unrelated errors from different systems controlled by different computers.
You may have an electrical problem.

Start with the battery. Have you tested?
The batteries (2 no. Off) have never been changed since new (2013). Might start with a battery change!

Help!! We need to program the key to the new ECU, but we don't have the original ECU.
How can I get back the old data for it?

As far as the cruise control and lockup..

Check the brake switch. Very possible it’s faulty (it might have two circuits one for brake lights one for ecm Input for cruise etc), I used to see this all the time on gm trucks
Thanks for the tips, but can this be the issue when the on/off button also don't work all the time on the cruise control?

That is a good question. I haven't found a leakage, but do you have a specific place to look?
There are several threads here from different causes. Points of entry can be clogged sunroof drains, roof rack fasteners, and the HVAC inlet under the cowl. First place to look would be at the floor behind the kick panels, or the door sills. We'd like to think these trucks are invincible but the truth is even the slightest bit of water can get into the connectors at the various points in the many harnesses and cause all sorts of problems.

Hi,

so the problem here was a loose ECM connector on the ECM. the clips was damaged, so it had loosened a bit, just enough to get the different faults as described above. when tighten the connector, the car was fine :)

Hi,

so the problem here was a loose ECM connector on the ECM. the clips was damaged, so it had loosened a bit, just enough to get the different faults as described above. when tighten the connector, the car was fine :)

Can you post a picture of which ECM connector was loose? How did it become loose?

There is 2 connectors to the ECM. the one in the bottom is the smallest. it was the loose one. its connector locking clips were damaged. i do not know how that happened, because i bought the car used. some mechanic probably had do disconnect it and damaged the clip. don't know.

1664202515677.png

this picture illustrates where on the car this connector is

Is that a ECM? If I am looking at the right part, I believe that is just a firewall bulkhead passthrough connector.

Is that a ECM? If I am looking at the right part, I believe that is just a firewall bulkhead passthrough connector.
From memory on our 200s the ECM/ECU/TCU (part no 89661 in the diagram) is attached to the firewall inside the cabin and the harness clips directly into it through a sealed bulkhead.

Yes that part in the diagram 89661A is the ECM. I just replaced one. I got a used ECM pre-programmed with the VIN off eBay then took it to a key shop for them to program the keys/FOBS. Drove it with the old one to the key shop then swap it out at the key shop. Took like 10 minutes. The VIN is programmed in to the ECM.

The ECM goes through the gasket (89664A) the bolts to he firewall. Then the harness clips to the ECM. Sounds like the hook on the ECM has broken off on his.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom