Possible boooogerd rear end?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ever since i got back from tellico my rear diff (i believe) is making a pinging noise and now i noticed a blown a rear axle seal could these two be related? Is it possible to mess up the rear axle splines with out it coming totally apart?

I was giving it a lil hell in front of my house in 2lo to see if anything would happen but it din't. Just did the normal ping type noise, (like if you hit your muffler with a fork).

Any ideas with out me pulling the whole rear end apart?

I have a wheeling trip coming up this friday...I'm gonna try to slide by and not do the rear axle seal til i get back from the trip, since i dont have a seal at the moment.

the left rear axle seal is leaking which would be more than likely the axle to get messed up first since it is the longside..

any ideas..

thanks
-Al :beer:

jack up the rearend and try to move the tires around. I bet you have a bad bearing. Which would over time eat away at the shaft itself..

thanks man... damn.

with out being here and having no idea what my rig is like, how long do ya give me before the bearing gives up? since i've reach this point of boogeryness.

lol

no clue.. I kinda doubt that it would last long..

like pretty metal shavings all over the place.

Jack the rearend up and see what condition it is in..

Hot damn that sucks...

I'm gonna go anyway. Life is to short to sit at home. i'll post up if it blows, just hope it doesn't screw the pooch to my locker as well.

i'll have at it as soon as i get home from work tomorrow. to late now, gotta eat.

thanks for all the help.

Just a thought, if you're dead set on goin' anyway: Maybe remove the rear driveshaft for your haul to and from wheeling?

Curtis

lowtideride,

Just want to be sure your not talking about the ping, ping, ping of the locker ratcheting as you go around a corner ???

How tight is the locker set ? 0.140 inch ? That's about the absolute tightest. They do loosen up just a pinch.

Could it be the locker was spooled going to Tellico and after coming back losened up a bit to ratchet ?

Just spitballing here,
Cahil

CJF said:
Just a thought, if you're dead set on goin' anyway: Maybe remove the rear driveshaft for your haul to and from wheeling?

Curtis

everything is still spining in there even if the drive shaft wasnt on... ;)

cahilc said:
lowtideride,

Just want to be sure your not talking about the ping, ping, ping of the locker ratcheting as you go around a corner ???

How tight is the locker set ? 0.140 inch ? That's about the absolute tightest. They do loosen up just a pinch.

Could it be the locker was spooled going to Tellico and after coming back losened up a bit to ratchet ?

Just spitballing here,
Cahil

i wondered if it was the locker....it never made the ping ping noise before tho, just the clicking around turns. but i did beat on it pretty good.

So, cahil or anyone else with an aussie,

Does it ping under normal acceleration in a straight line....normally pings once or twice.

thanks,
-Al

Al,

Check the locker function.

Put the rear axle up and spin a tire in one direction and then reverse the tire quickly.

Same ping ? Or different noise ?

The locker shouldn't ping in straight line accel unless your rear tires are dramtically different size ? And then if your womping on the gas pedal the rear should lockup anyway.

???

Cahil

the ping sounds diff. than the normal locker click. so im still thinking mace is on with the bad bearing. but it still could be the locker. i'll jack up the rear tomorrow..

-Al

Ok the ass ebd is up in the air right now....I wiggled both tires. niether of them seemed to move around much. But what did move is i never tried this before so i dont know if it did it before before. If i yanked out ward on the both rear wheels they move about 1/8 of an inch. So i dont really know if it is a bad bearing??? Help me please i am lossing my mind...well whats left of it.

Anywho..while the fat ass of my 60 is in the air is there a way to make sure the locer is working with out pulling the diff plate to check with my own two eyes...

thanks for the help agian guys...

-Al

If it were me... I'd at least pull the rear inspection cover and have a look. At Moab this year, a guy with a 40 had been having some odd vibration for 400 miles or so. As we were leaving Elephant Hill, his long side rear axle broke. Fortunately the break occured about a quarter mile from the parking lot on the way out. I doubt that trail caused the axle to break. I think it was cracked for a while and then finally let go. I wouldn't want to deal with that at 70mph. BTW a bit of endplay in the axles is OK - its the clearance between the c clips and the axle retainer block. If both sides are the same, thats good. If one side has more slop than the other, I'd be worried.

thats what i figured about the c-clips...(and the movement of the wheels)

i'll go ahead and pull the inspection plate ...thanks for the post up

Engage the parking brake and see if it stops both tires..

The parking brake doesnt work all that well, but i tryed it. it kinda stopped one tire and dint do jack to the other one.

But i did put it in gear and you could still move one tire at a time if you pushed the other tire up...

...or when it was out of gear you could spin one tire in one direction and one in another and it would click like it normally would around a corner.

If i recall correctly when i put it in, i could spin one tire backwards and it would ratchet and then spin one tire forwards and they would both lock. it doesnt really do that anymore. they one tire will ratchet if i do the same thing and then eventually start spinning at the same speed ( not lock up right away)

im no english teacher so if ya dont understand me i'll try to explain it better.

thanks for all the help and guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom