possible blown head gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what would you guys say is a fair price to replace a head gasket in the denver colorado area and would you have any shop recommendations. engine was rebuilt approx 3 years ago and had machine work done and used all oem components on rebuild. Not sure why we are already experiencing issues but seems like it is pointing to the head gasket. thanks in advance for any help and recommendations.

what would you guys say is a fair price to replace a head gasket in the denver colorado area and would you have any shop recommendations. engine was rebuilt approx 3 years ago and had machine work done and used all oem components on rebuild. Not sure why we are already experiencing issues but seems like it is pointing to the head gasket. thanks in advance for any help and recommendations.
I'm not sure about a specific shop in Denver - I remember reading about several local shops that specialize in Toyota/80 Series rebuilds but I can't recall the names offhand. I rebuilt my own engine but had the block decked, bored .020 over, and had the head work done by a local machine shop in Denver.

For any machine work - I HIGHLY recommend Gunn Automotive off Federal, their work is fantastic! The lead times are quite long because they are always busy, but the quality of work is top notch.

I thought I read that a HG replacement was round $1600+ but I dont recall. I am sure there are some old threads you can search through. Seems odd the HG would go again after 3 years..

$1600 might be the rate back in the 90s! That gets you tires nowadays.

Older topic but mostly still relevant. Olag and Robbie are fully retired so don't bother. Japanese Auto in Wheat Ridge quoted me a little less than $9000 for the HG repair using OEM parts. I doubt Slee does the work but there are plenty of Toyota mechanics around the Denver area that do the project but none are cheap unless you like to take risks.

I just charged a client 4k in labor to do a full engine out bore over rebuild, Gunn did the machining. He had me complete almost all of the 'while you're there items' though.

Unless you severely overheated it I'd just take the head off, inspect for flatness and/or cracks and if its good just slap a new gasket on it and bolt it back up. Could probably be done in one weekend with the engine in the car.

I'd probably charge in the 2000-2500 neighborhood.

What happened? What is it doing?

9000?? Does that include a new top end as well?
You'll be lucky to get a sticker to slap on your rig even paying full price. Denver is the new California. Everyone's shop looks like the Icon factory inside these days. Commercial rent isn't cheap yo.

I had Japanese Auto Service in Wheatridge do a new OEM short block and rebuilt head about a year ago, and I'm perfectly satisfied with their work. That motor they put together just seems to run better and better all the time as it's breaking in. I couldn't imagine anybody doing a better job than what they did. There is plenty out there however that will be cheaper. I have it on good authority that at least one local Toyota Dealership sends their 1FZ-FE head gasket jobs to these guys as their young staff is unfamiliar with these motors. You should at the very least give them a call and discuss it. Doc is the man to talk to.

I had Japanese Auto Service in Wheatridge do a new OEM short block and rebuilt head about a year ago, and I'm perfectly satisfied with their work. That motor they put together just seems to run better and better all the time as it's breaking in. I couldn't imagine anybody doing a better job than what they did. There is plenty out there however that will be cheaper. I have it on good authority that at least one local Toyota Dealership sends their 1FZ-FE head gasket jobs to these guys as their young staff is unfamiliar with these motors. You should at the very least give them a call and discuss it. Doc is the man to talk to.
Agreed. I had them do the head gasket on 1993 in feb of 2022. Solid work and good guys. I take both my 1993 and 2021 Land Cruisers to them.

I just had my head gasket done recently on my 1997 Lx450, L1 Automotive up in Loveland did the job for me. They did an excellent job. Contact Greg he is the owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom