Builds Portland Troopy Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[
I know it's a while ago this was asked, but I just thought to look in the original Toyota sales brochure (in French!) that came with my 1987 BJ75 Troopy. According to that, the Poids a Vide (unloaded weight) is 2025kg or 4465lbs. So there it is.

That's with a "regular" 3B--not sure how much weight, if any, the 3BII would add to that.

I briefly looked for the weight difference between the 3b with the H55 transmission and the 1hd-t and H151 and couldn't come up with a number. I suspect that the weight in the transmission alone would be significant. With fuel I'm running around 7200lbs.

With a little extra daylight after work, I got around to installing the mud flaps. These are not approved by John Lockwood.

mud flap.jpg

Got the max traxx on the table. Super easy to take on/off. Will have a lock on them later today.

Will have a lock on them later today.
Be really careful which lock you choose. Any exterior lock - tried many - seizes up with dust, grit, mud, ice, etc., rendered inoperable and whatever locked useless. Carry bolt cutters. Or, make a fancy neoprene lock cover like I had to.

Last edited:
Sunset last weekend at the coast.View attachment 1925849
sunset.jpg

Be really careful which lock you choose. Any exterior lock - tried many - seizes up with dust, grit, mud, ice, etc., rendered inoperable and whatever locked useless. Carry bolt cutters. Or, make a fancy neoprene lock cover like I had to.
I went with this Amazon product ASIN B079RLYRS7 ; lock. Pretty beefy and it has a cover over the key hole.

I bought the flaps from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. HIS part numbers are MUD76607 (right) and MUD76608 (left). I paid $72.50 each plus shipping. They came quickly. You would also want to order the nylon inserts that push into the wheel well to mount them. You'll need 6 of them (3 per side). I don't have the part number on those but I'm sure that Kurt can help. I got the inserts locally from Toyota....they aren't exclusive to a 70 series.

I bought the flaps from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. HIS part numbers are MUD76607 (right) and MUD76608 (left). I paid $72.50 each plus shipping. They came quickly. You would also want to order the nylon inserts that push into the wheel well to mount them. You'll need 6 of them (3 per side). I don't have the part number on those but I'm sure that Kurt can help. I got the inserts locally from Toyota....they aren't exclusive to a 70 series.

Nylon inserts are 90189-06134.

What a coincidence I just spent an hour last night looking for troopy mud flaps with no luck.

Thanks a heap!
I still love watching this thing progress, of course

A public service announcement....

The rear bumper which was purchased from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters in Salt Lake has been installed.

Things that I like about the bumper are that the weight of the spare tire is NOT on the door hinges. The same can be said for the utility mount on the small door. I plan to put an aluminum box of some sort in that location. The doors are very easy to open and close with this bumper using the existing door handles; there is no hasp or latch. This was/is important to me as I will access the rear of the truck frequently and I want it to be an easy process. Mission accomplished there.

The bumper is made in the Salt Lake area by Expedition 1 and exclusively distributed by Cruiser Outfitters. The bumpers weighs 130lbs less the spare tire and I noticed no settling of the rear with the bumper.

Things I would like to see?

Longer "wings" to provide more rear rocker protection. I understand that the bumper is made for 70 series in general and not troopy specific thus a "one size fits all" application. I will remedy this somehow, most likely with the addition of a ladder to access the roof.

There are no jack points. I've been told that it is a liability issue.

The fit of the bumper is very "tight" against the truck and while the lights in the body of the truck can be replaced it will be a task.
If/When the lights in the bumper burn out the bumper will have to be loosened to access nuts on the back of the bumper to remove the lens. I can see this being a significant PIA but I'm told that the lights used are from Nerva which are long lasting. I'm told that the same lights are used in the Kaymar bumper and that the Kaymar has to be removed as well to service the lights. Hopefully the lights will last a very long time.

I will post some pics below.

Last edited:
This is where we started. I was completely missing the bumper on the right. Everything was pretty exposed to potential damage and I was taking trips without a spare as I didn't want to heft it to the roof.

Bumper Bare.jpg

This is where we ended.

Bumper Left.jpg

Bumper rear full.jpg

The bumper fits very tight against the truck. Hope I have a dry spot when it comes time to replace the bulbs. The bottom left screw is pretty hidden. Doable but not easy.

Bumper Lense.jpg

Bumper rear lense.jpg

A mod that I will do is a ladder with some sort of additional rocker protection.

This doesn't end.......

bumper rear wing.jpg

Awesome build thread! I would love to find a Troopy in this condition.

I've been eyeing that bumper for awhile. The mounting to the rear doors is genius. Rear swing outs suck having to unlatch 4 different latches to grab a pack of papertowels from the back...

Good to see it fits well. Now to find $2200.

Last edited:
How's the light output from the reverse lights in the bumper? Looks like your original reverse lights are completely blocked by the swing-out spindles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom