For Sale Portland, OR: 1979 FJ40 -- lots of new parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Selling this for my father-in-law, who had quite a journey getting this vehicle.

You'll see below that it came from Vintage Offroad. That jerk gave my FIL the runaround for years. :mad: The good news is that he did finally get a vehicle. And after having another (local to him) shop do more work, it is a strong runner. See below for details.
  • ~ 122,000 miles
  • Rust free in the important places
  • $40K invested — asking $27,000 OBO. Feedback welcome.
I'll attach more pics to subsequent posts. Let me know if you want to pics of anything in particular, or what questions you have. Happy to set up a time to chat on the phone too.

Thanks!
Aaron

#########

Work completed:
Vintage Offroad // AZ

2011-2017
  • New paint: Toyota rustic green #621
  • New upholstery: front and rear jump seats, door panels, dash pad
  • New headers
  • New tires (new in 2011 probably!)
  • 2” lift
  • Adjustable driver’s seat
  • New seatbelts
  • New mirrors
  • New weather stripping
  • Bedliner interior
FST Restorations / White Bluff, TN

• Rebuilt front axle: seals, bearings, steering knuckles, tie rod kits, wheel bearings
  • Rebuilt front brakes
  • New step rails
  • New wiper motor
  • New wiring harness
  • New instrument cluster
  • New ignition switch, wiper/header switch
  • New distributor cap, distributor, contact set, condenser
  • Repaired alternator
  • Oil pan resealed
  • Oil change
  • Replace leaking upper radiator hose
  • New carburetor

IMG_8596.jpg

This is tough. Having been hosed by VOR, investing more, and trying to recover as much as possible. The market price for its state will dictate price. Hope you can recover costs.

Oh man oh man oh man.

I am so sorry to hear that the Mushroom has struck again. The owner Greg Mushro is infamous for s***ty restorations and basically selling spray painted rusted junk. There's a LONG section about him in the buyer's beware which I'll link below.

Greg Mushro Buyer Beware!!!!

Unfortunately (and I really hate to be the one to say this) but you probably will never sell it at the price you've got it listed and I understand that you're trying to get the most you can out of it, but it's worth maybe half of that.

I think it's better to just keep it around and tinker on it than try to get all you can out of it because by the time you make it nice enough to sell you'll be at an even greater loss.

I've been in your shoes and it really sucks to take the hit and be the victim of a dishonest mechanic/seller. I can't stress enough to leave bad reviews where you can and spread the word about your experience. Maybe with enough people behind it a lawsuit could be filed. It wouldn't hurt to post something in the Buyer's Beware and see if it gains some traction. There was a bad seller on mud that actually ended up being prosecuted after enough people got behind the lawsuit. The thread is below:

BUYER'S BEWARE THIS SELLER - WCRUISERJUNKIE

I wish you the best of luck with the sale, and so sorry to hear about what happened!

I very much appreciate the feedback, all. Interested in seeing what the market will really bear for this.

Unfortunately THIS market will not bear very much. Most of us are very aware of Mushro and all his antics and would NEVER recommend anyone buying anything from him or anything he's touched.

At the risk of being lumped into the group of deceptive sellers, your best bet is to sell it on Ebay or somewhere other than here.

We feel sorry for your father-in-law and you as well. There is no easy answer to your situation--even succeeding in a lawsuit still leaves you trying to enforce repayment or restitution. A very hard lesson to learn is caveat emptor.

GLWS

Unfortunately even reputable outfits can't disappear on you. I've had it happen to me.

I very much appreciate the feedback, all. Interested in seeing what the market will really bear for this.

With Badly applied Bed Liner roof and outside etc you have killed your resale and will be lucky to get anything close to half what you are looking for. Looking at the rust coming through it is obvious not body prep was done and I would expect much more to be on its way.

The money is in stock and a bad resto as way worse than no resto.

I would prep your FIL for the facts and let him know low 10's is all he is going to see unless he gets real lucky and then you run the risk of now you have posted here a buyer being pissed if he buys it and then finds out you were aware of the issues .

As others have said, keep it and enjoy it.

Thats a big bummer. I've been on ih8mud for 15 years (diff username) and Vintage Offroad has had a reputation for a LOOONG time.

I agree with @YoYoHo Vintage Off Road is notorious for this.

Terrible body/paint work, basically spraying right over whatever paint/rust it had. Which is why it's peeling, and rusting through.
Bedliner all over the body and peeling inside. Looks like parts store bed liner, too thin and not prepped

It's good the new shop is fixing some of those things.
Undercarriage just sprayed and covered with black paint or coating.

The body "appears" to be fairly solid overall, but it definitely needs a chunk of bodywork.

I think you are looking at $12~$16K, and doubtful it will sell here as too many are aware of Vintage Off-road. Unless he is just sick of it and needs to get rid of it, I would just keep it or put it on eBay and explain as much as you can.

I honestly can't believe Vintage Offroad is still able to sell rip people off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom