Portland Area Noob (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NWxDrew

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all! I just picked up a 10/85 FJ60 (almost made it to 11/85) the rig is pretty much stock, but it seems to be running good! I’m excited to get to know this Cruiser and make it run like a top. I’ve been looking at FJs for about 10 years and finally took the leap.

First question; is there a big difference between a ‘84 2F and a ‘85 2F? I found a few maintenance manuals, and the price difference is staggering between the two.

And/or any recommendations on where to find some good manuals?

Thanks, and I’m excited to be here!

3DF1C1F3-4D51-47A7-A21E-9868160698BC.jpeg

that's a super clean looking 60! FYI, call it a "60" not an "fj" Land Cruisers are coded differently from Jeeps (old CJ, TJ, etc) and by number, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, etc. Show us some more photos of your 60! :)

a lot of manuals are available for download in the "resources" tab at the top of the page.

While there are differences between various model years of the FJ60, I don't think any of those differences would be mentioned in the maintenance manual and very few even in the service manual. Most of the differences would only be reflected in the specific spare part you would need.

Thanks for the info everyone! Found the oil quantity I was looking for really easy using that link.

Now, any recommendations on oil and filter? How about air filter? Starting with the basics today.

More pictures to follow

Now, any recommendations on oil and filter?

I run the Shell Rotella 15W-40 T6 syn oil. Run a filter from @HemiAlex.

NOS filters no longer being produced. There are some WIX alternatives I have run in the past as the 41010 filter is spendy and not always available, but worth it to me.

You can get the Toyota 90915-YZZD3 filter as the currently produced 2F filter option from Toyota. I ran this filter for a bit but got some low pressure indicators at times while running it. Its slightly smaller I believe than the 15600-41010 option. Went to the 41010 filter and never looked back.

Opinions on what oil to run will be varied on here. I like the T6 and is available where I am. Mobil1 Diesel Syn is another option. I think it has a slightly higher zinc count than the Rotella. Many say dino oil is the way to go for this motor. High zinc count I think is preferred for these trucks so as @Devils Paw 80 suggests lots of folks run a zinc additive with their normal zinc count oil. Check out some of the oil threads on here for additional guidance. Welcome to the madness. GL and HTH.

I know I’m biased; but this is what I use now. I’ve got a filter closet full of stuff and I just keep it cheap.

09A0F852-94CB-4BEF-B332-306C0EAD039F.png

18B62C44-B51D-4989-A3B3-2992002BB31B.png

I know I’m biased; but this is what I use now. I’ve got a filter closet full of stuff and I just keep it cheap.

View attachment 3077283

View attachment 3077284
Thanks for information! I will be looking your way on the next oil change. I was in a time crunch yesterday and got whatever the parts store had.

Mobile 1 high mileage 5w30 with a K&N filter. They were running a special, so not stupid expensive.

The air filter I could find was a Wix

After a deeper Dive into the forums I should have gone with a 15w30. Bit the 60 will survive.

I run 15w40 synthetic year round in my 340,000 mile 2F. It’s been from 10* to 110* with no issues.

So, in my infinite wisdom, I bought this 60 with the intention to be a daily driver. The seller of this rig did not care for it. It’s almost like They bought it as an investment. They bought it in 2018 and it just sat around. They maybe put 5k miles on it in that time. Didn’t maintain it. So I come along, and drop all of my cash on it! 😁 I took it the the mechanic yesterday to get the inspection and it’s not as bad as I thought! But I’m having them take care of the safety stuff first (brakes, knuckles, etc). I probably will have to get the manifold and carb work done by the shop, too.

💭Why would I buy a 37 yo rig when I have two small kids and I’m working 80 hours a week🤦‍♂️.

Then I can start to tackle some the more minor repairs. Steering box and fluids. Belts and tune up. As the next year goes on, I’ll start on replacing marker lenses, grill, badging and light bezels. I ordered some 3 point belts for the back from Seatbelt Planet - Great service btw.

Before winter I’ll be stuffing the biggest KO 2s I can fit on a stock suspension for winter commuting.

Here’s to adventures!!

Before winter I’ll be stuffing the biggest KO 2s I can fit on a stock suspension for winter commuting.
Oh no! Please don't. I know that's the trend these days but it looks ridiculous and doesn't help driving in winter. If anything, the bigger tires are worse for winter conditions.

Regarding the kill switch, there are internet articles and videos to be found. A keyed battery disconnect would probably be the easiest way to go.

Oh no! Please don't. I know that's the trend these days but it looks ridiculous and doesn't help driving in winter. If anything, the bigger tires are worse for winter conditions.

Regarding the kill switch, there are internet articles and videos to be found. A keyed battery disconnect would probably be the easiest way to go.
What tire set would you recommend?

Thanks for the info everyone! Found the oil quantity I was looking for really easy using that link.

Now, any recommendations on oil and filter? How about air filter? Starting with the basics today.

More pictures to follow
Find the FAQ link at the top of the 60's forums. All kinds of good info and helpful links. Nice looking 60 main.

What tire set would you recommend?

Lots of folks find the 31X10.50's are a good balance between form and function on these trucks. Look decent but still allow for the truck not to be completely robbed of power. I personally love the 33X10.50 and would never run anything else on my daily. HTH

IMG_6018.jpg

Lots of folks find the 31X10.50's are a good balance between form and function on these trucks. Look decent but still allow for the truck not to be completely robbed of power. I personally love the 33X10.50 and would never run anything else on my daily. HTH

View attachment 3078590
That’s a good looking rig!! Looks like you have a lift on there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom