Portals? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Despite the fact that I am a student with a serious lack of green, I have been thinking recently about the possibility of throwing some portals (or D60s) under an 80. After Christo's recent Birf poppin' party I thought I would bring this up on the board. Has anybody considered this or looked into it as an option? Just curious...

I am putting my MOG portals under a tube chassis, so I can't comment on them under an 80 series. I will say that drivetrain clearance is a big issue with portals.

If you have general portal ?s tho fire away and I will try to answer them. To see pics of my junk clicky link below. :D

Ah Cruiserrg,

Chevrolet 4.3L V6 TBI engine
Chevrolet 700R4 Automatic Transmission
Chevrolet NP241C Transfercase
Custom Unimog Front Axle
Custom Unimog 4 Wheel Steer Rear Axle
4 Link Suspension with SAW Coilovers
42" Super Swamper TSLs on Humvee Rims

And this is a LandCruiser project?

Kurt,
Go take a looksee underneath a Hummer (not an H2.) They have portal axles.
-B-

This is a portal axle. Note the location of the pumpkin.

Axle_Parts_036.xxl.jpg

Portal axles have an additional reduction gear box at the wheel hub.

The hummer's have portals at the wheel hub, but utilize a IFS configuration.

Volvo / Unimogs use the portal reduction hubs and a solid / live axle.

The portal reduction box adds additional torque / force on the springs, and work awesome in 3, 4, and 5 link combinations. They also provide excellent differential clearance ~ 17" +.

Joe

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=3985;start=0#msg29276 date=1059447905]
Ah Cruiserrg,

Chevrolet 4.3L V6 TBI engine
Chevrolet 700R4 Automatic Transmission
Chevrolet NP241C Transfercase
Custom Unimog Front Axle
Custom Unimog 4 Wheel Steer Rear Axle
4 Link Suspension with SAW Coilovers
42" Super Swamper TSLs on Humvee Rims

And this is a LandCruiser project?

[/quote]

But it will have a cruiser hood and grill (either 40 or 55 series) ;) I have never been much of a purist.

Rogue - got me a set of volvo portals sitting at my folks house (in the barn). They'll be going under my lil beater this winter. Only reason I'm not doing it now, is because I still have some issues to work out.

I'm doing this all myself (which means it will fall apart the first trip out of the barn). I'd prefer to pay someone else, but since no workie = no cruiserfundie, me gotta get me girlie hands dirty.

:D

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=3985;start=0#msg29283 date=1059452143]
Kurt,
Go take a looksee underneath a Hummer (not an H2.) They have portal axles.
-B-

[/quote]

I went out and looked under the wifes Hummer and I see what you are talking about :D She doesn't like me messing with her Hummer :D I told her I wanted a Hummer and she said NO! :'(
kurt

Junk,

The Volvos have a centered pumpkin, correct? From what I have seen, they are the easier of the two main choices.

Do you plan on de-lifting the beater after the portals are under it, or just running really big tires? I am very interested in your project. That thing is gonna rock. Hopefully this motor lasts for awhile though. If not, a 350 80 series with portals would be an amazing thing.

Just another portal pic that leaves me in awe...

Just ignore the make...

:)

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=3985;start=0#msg29434 date=1059530172]
Only reason I'm not doing it now, is because I still have some issues to work out.

[/quote]

You do mean issues with the portals, right Junk? ;) :D

-H-

I have a friend (go figure) whose brother built a rig for the rock crawling championships. It is called the mogster and is a jeepster body on a tube chassis, 4.3 V6, 700R4 auto, I believe the transfer case is an Atlas II but I am not sure and finally Merc. portal axles. The hardest part of putting the axles under the rig was figuring out the torque tubes. These are tubes that somehow help locate the axle and are located between the pumpkin and the transfer case and go around the driveshaft. This was after they designed a 4 link but still had a headache with them. I can call and find out what they eventually did. The sweet thing about the rig is he used two front axles...4 wheel steer.

[quote author=Hltoppr link=board=2;threadid=3985;start=0#msg29524 date=1059579625]
You do mean issues with the portals, right Junk? ;) :D

-H-
[/quote]
mofo! :flipoff2: :D :D :D Yup. Little things like brakes, steering etc ??? My hair will look like the profs in back to the future soon. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=3985;start=0#msg29612 date=1059616974]
mofo!
thefinger.gif
:D :D :D Yup. Little things like brakes, steering etc ??? My hair will look like the profs in back to the future soon. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
[/quote]
Who needs brakes or steering? I might as well not have a brake pedal with 4 wheel drums. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom