Portals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
That's pretty neat, but it seems like bolting the rear gearboxes to the flange that holds the brake backing plate is a little weak.

The rear mounting looks fine to me , It's the kicker braces and ball joint that look exposed to trail damage that would be the problem.
5 plus inches of lift is something to think about, makes a tall 80.

The rear mounting looks fine to me , It's the kicker braces and ball joint that look exposed to trail damage that would be the problem.
5 plus inches of lift is something to think about, makes a tall 80.
I would imagine that would be fairly easy to beef up with some basic fabrication. I wonder what the gear reduction is.

I wonder what the gear reduction is.
By increasing the clearance by 130mm and reducing the gear ratio by 35%, in the portal gearboxes.
At $13,500.00 The price is a lot more affordable then other Portal kits on the market

Marks4wd also makes them, I have *not been unable to get them to sell to us here in the USA. 79-series stuff will bolt on an 80 axle.

I used to have a set of PortalTeks.

Cheers

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks $13,500 is extremely expensive? I mean, I know it’s a low volume product with high development and machining costs, but even still that seems like an extreme amount of money for a handful of parts.

Am I the only one who thinks $13,500 is extremely expensive? I mean, I know it’s a low volume product with high development and machining costs, but even still that seems like an extreme amount of money for a handful of parts.
I'm not a machinist but the housings look like they are made out of billet. I would think that makes it more expensive. Also it includes axle shafts, adapters, cv joints, etc.

My PortalTeks cost $20k and that was in 2007! They were built to the hilt complete axles though.

Marks are probably $20-25k for bolt on but they include everything down to the brake lines.

Cheers

Fully appreciate that, but even still $13,500usd seems like a hell of a lot of money for not “that” much machining or material. I have had parts CNC machined of a similar size for considerably less cost.

I suppose they charge what people are willing to pay, but still seems like it could be done for much less.

thats a boat load of money to sink into an 80. if i am dropping that kind of money on just axles you can bet your butt i will be going with 1 tons under a custom truggy/buggy.

Price out a Currie HP Dana 60 front, and the price for those portals doesn't seem that bad.

Price out a Currie HP Dana 60 front, and the price for those portals doesn't seem that bad.
but then i have a Currier HP Dana 60 and not a little 8 inch ring gear that i have broken with 35s in the past.

but then i have a Currier HP Dana 60 and not a little 8 inch ring gear that i have broken with 35s in the past.
Well. There is that. And that's why I know what a Currie HP D60 goes for...

I'm not sure whether the gear reduction in the portal hubs would make things easier on the R & P. Specifically in 'unplanned' situations, e.g. a bounce in the rocks.

I'm not sure whether the gear reduction in the portal hubs would make things easier on the R & P. Specifically in 'unplanned' situations, e.g. a bounce in the rocks.
They do - takes stress of off everything upstream so R&P, driveshafts, t-case, etc...

They do - takes stress of off everything upstream so R&P, driveshafts, t-case, etc...
^^^^ This
Plus you get a lift and gear reduction at the same time plus ground clearance where you need it most.

Werewolf tech being based in Ukraine might be an issue - and probably a reason they're selling at a discount. Check the price of reconditioned H1 portal boxes - this is a cheap kit.

The 79 series kits are well tested and seen to hold up in Oz. I haven't seen any of the kits warrantied past a 40 inch tire, but if you crunch the numbers, the R&P would hold up to 40s. Real challenge becomes steering components and the fact portals give you lift without articulation, so you still need to lift more if you want any flex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom