For Sale Portal-Tek G3 axles (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.snlandcruisers.com
I have been on the fence with these for awhile. Right now I plan to use them in a project but if a buyer comes along I will let them go.

I bought these in late 2008 from the now defunk Portal-Tek. Not to worry, Torq Axle bought the Portal-Tek rights and can supply anything you can't get from an auto parts store. Contact Torq yourself to verify. Which in reality is only the portal drop box and it's gears. Everything else is either off the shelf stuff or aftermarket.

These are G3 axles, G3 was their model on them
-Spidertrax housings
-RCV 4340 chromoly front axles
-Superior 4340 rear shafts
-Portal-Tek portal boxes
-Wilwood disc brakes at all four corners, the rotors were cryo treat back in 2008, rear axle has duel calipers with the idea that the 2nd set is for cutting brakes, I will toss in nice braided brake lines on the axle side.
-Ford 9" centers flipped upside down for high pinion, special oil slinger in there for this.
-1330 yokes
-ARB lockers in both diffs
-Yukon 3.0 gears but the portal reduces that by approx 2.0 so 6.0 for the diffs
-8 lug
-front is RHS drop and the rear is centered

All seals and bearing are off the shelf stuff from just about any auto parts store. Uses Ford F450 stuff mostly. Right now some of the seals are leaking since the axles have been sitting for 3-4 years. The axles have well under 1,000 miles on them. I did one week long trip with them and about 6 weekend trips. They are currently set up for a 3-link front and a triangulated 4-link rear. The front is set up for a full hydro ram.

What else to say? I can get width measurements, iirc they are a little bit wider than 80-series axles. When we bought them we wanted to be able to fit the truck on a standard car hauling trailer so they are a touch under 80" wider outside to outside with the Creepies you see in the pictures. With 2" spacers they still fit on a trailer but hang over the edge about 1" on both sides. You probably would want 6" backspaced wheels. That is what the Walker Evans you see below are and it tucks the portal box in the rim nicely. 17" wheels are required. Ideally you will probably want to change the housings to do your own suspension brackets and all that jazz. But if you got the skills yo could probably just cut off our brackets and go from there. I have talked to Spidertrax and no probs for them to supply new housings with flanges. These are pretty friggin' burley axles, rated at 500+hp and 1.5ton. With 40" rubber, over 18" of ground clearance.

SOLD!

Pm me.

Cheers

Last edited:
holy crap! i want a set of axles like this someday... BUUUUUMP

holy crap! i want a set of axles like this someday... BUUUUUMP

Thanks.

I do believe the G3s are right about 75" from WMS to WMS. I can get an exact measurement if somebody needs that.

Great axles if you want to have tons of ground clearance and lots of strength!

You can also gear the 9" 3rds, I found 2.33 and 2.8's are available. So with the portals being a 2.0 reduction that gives you 4.66 or 5.6 rather than the 6.0 they have now. A bit more friendly for road use.

http://www.oldmanengineering.com/9inch.htm

Cheers

Last edited:
Ok, i trade you plus $1000k cash. LOL Nice axles. Good luck with sale. I think i read your build of Nissan awhile back. Sweet rig.

I still have these axles, took them off the market for awhile but putting back on now.

Dropping price to $11,500-obo

Pics!

PICT0001.JPG

PICT0006.JPG

IMG_1007.jpg

PICT0010.JPG

PICT0016.JPG

Cheers

Front and rear shafts 35 spline?

Did Portal-Tek mod the 9" cases with the oil slinger to allow them to be run in a high pinion setup? Are those Strange cases?

You mention F-450 stuff...does that imply unit bearings on all 4 corners?

Are you running the 2" spacers in the pics above?

Got any pics from the front showing the ram mount?

Is 75" WMS-WMS right? That seems a touch wide...

So f'ing cool...I wish I hadn't seen this thread.

Front and rear shafts 35 spline?

I believe so yes

Did Portal-Tek mod the 9" cases with the oil slinger to allow them to be run in a high pinion setup? Are those Strange cases?

Not sure what you mean by case, are you talking about the 3rd member or the axle housing? They are SpiderTrax axle housings.

You mention F-450 stuff...does that imply unit bearings on all 4 corners?

I do believe so yes

Are you running the 2" spacers in the pics above?

No

Got any pics from the front showing the ram mount?

sure, I will post something next

Is 75" WMS-WMS right? That seems a touch wide...

I would have to double check the wms but it is right in there. Without the spacers on and with 13.5" wide tires on a 6" b/s wheel the truck will fit perfect on a standard car hauling trailer with an 80" wide deck. With the wheel spacers and it hangs 2" over on each side.

So f'ing cool...I wish I hadn't seen this thread.

If I sold these axles I won't be needing the Walker Evans beadlocks I have that go with them, I paid $2500 for the wheels, will sell with these axles for $1500. So that is $13k and you get the axles and a set of W/E beadlocks. :)

Cheers

How much for the whole rig?

Someone has some new cash to spend!!!!
You must be some kinda Creeppy Mud stalker/Thread Hijacker LOL!!! :eek::eek::eek:
SSSSSSHHHHHHHH! Not Yet!!!
I gotta get back to Alaska, and you better be loaded for bear when ya go!

Wanna sell your Big Green Mo Sheen:cool::cool::cool:

IMG_20140702_201448_476.jpg

How much for the whole rig?

I would sell the whole truck. You know what it is!? Are you serious or just screwing around!?

Besides the portals the truck has a turbo diesel that is super charged, shaved sump, x2 intercoolers and lot's more. I spent an absurd amount of cash on the motor. I have an adapter that allows me to bolt an NV4500 to the engine. I have the NV4500 brand new in the box. I also have an Atlas t-case in a box, brand new, ready to bolt up to the NV4500. Truck has cutting brakes in the rear.

Truck needs some new c/o's, new steering set up and bump stops. It also needs the engine fitted along with the trans & t-case. It needs a new clutch to do that.

You if you serious you can pm me.

Cheers

I'll pass don't want to get in Over my head I guess. Might be better to find a Complete Mog!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom