POR-15 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wondering if anyone could answer a question for me. For frame rust prevention I was thinking of using POR-15. I have wirebrushed and sanded for what seems like weeks (don't have sandblaster and can't have the fj down for that long). I am now ready to paint. If i use POR-15, can I paint over the bolts? will I ever be able to get them off again if i do?

Is there a better rust prevention then POR-15 for the FRAME?

Looking to move forward this weekend... I appreciate all answers.

If you haven't removed the frame bolts thus far, it won't be the POR15 that limits your ability to remove them.... I have painted over bolts with little problem removing later. Now, if you remove the bolts, paint the threads inside and out, then screw them back in wet: you may be having future problems.

what about a mix and match of POR-15 for the surfaces easily accessible and a spray-on to get in the frame channels? Is there a problem mixing and matching?

i got better results when i POR-15 every where i could then i top coated it while it was still sticky and then got all places i couldnt get with brush. i liked it because you really should topcoat POR-15 anyways (UV rays break it down and topcoating helps solve this) and then you can get those hard to reach places.

what have you used to get places you couldn't get with brush? spray-on? any brand in particular....

Chaka

I just got done painting my frame with POR-15.
Frame, axles,springs,were all painted with this.Everything was painted seperatly. I brushed on both coats after doing all the prep. For the inside of the frame rails, I used a spray can of bed liner spray. Think I got it from Kragen. Do this first,and mask off the inside of the frame and spray into the many holes on the frame. If you have any exposed bolt threads,like the shock mounts, put tape on them. After that stuff dries, its a bear to get bolts back on. I used the POR-15 gloss first, then topcoated it with their chassis coat black semi gloss.After everything is put back togather, spot paint the exposed nuts and threads.
Its a lot of work, but it turns out good.
I have pics if you want some.
Robbbbbbbbbb.

I have never used por 15 but have heard good and bad things about it. I have a friend who doesn't like the stuff. From the comments I have heard from people who have used it, it seems that the cleaner the surface and the better you follow the instructions the better the end result. I decided on using zero rust because it seemed more forgiving and I was not taking the frame off or sandblasting just wire brushing and cleaning with tsp the best I could. I am very happy with the product and it's ease of use. it also comes in rattle cans which helps get in some of the tight spots. I have pics on my website if you are interested. let me know if you have any questions.

Noah
naostoy@san.rr.com

Thanks everyone for your thoughts....

I would love to see pics if you guys have them.

I POR-15'd the hell out of my 40; frame, axles, steering, engine and a few other parts. It came out pretty well, the inside of the frame was a real pain in the ass, I used a brush, it took a lot of time and patience. POR-15 fades if exposed to UV rays but it doesn't weeken it at all. I've also used the spray cans of Zero-Rust, it works pretty well, not as thick as POR-15 but it give you a more uniform finish. I can email pics if interested, they're too big to post here unfortunately :mad:

you can get a set of sponge-like applicator brushes ranging from about 1" to 4" wide at anyplace like home depot for about 5$. break a wooden paint stirrer longwise down the middle. duct tape it to the handle of the applicator--this gives you extended reach with the applicator.

The different size applicators work well in different parts of the frame--e.g., 1' applicator inside the frame rails. with widest applicator i was able to cover the inside of the rear tube crossmember with POR. the width of the applicator matched the diameter of the tube--insert moist applicator and rotate!

I used the applicators only in places hard to reach--the POR breaks down the sponge material pretty quickly. And it's a bit harder to spread to the POR evenly with applicator--so everywhere else brushes.

very pleased with the results, but ALOT of work. I used a pretty nice compressor paint sprayer to apply the POR chassis coat on top. much easier, coverage, and fantastic finish.

I was a little concerned that the chassis coat might gunk up the sprayer but it cleaned up well with laquer thinner.

Considering how easy it was to spray, I'd like to try spaying the POR 15 itself, but I am little concerned about ruining the sprayer. Has anyone tried this? If so, did you use laquer thinner to clean up afterward? All the equipment I use belongs to my buddy and I'm trying to be really careful not to damage any of it--especially seeing as he lets me use it free and whenever i like :D

Here's a pic-working on the inside frame rails:

Howdy!

Por15'ed my 40 frame a couple of months ago. Used toliet scrub brushes for the box channels sectiosn of the frame...worked out very good. Found one that had a plastic handle and nylon fluffy bush on the end... this one worked really good in spreading the POR15 in the channels.

Good luck!
Yo Han

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom