POR-15 your diff/axle housings? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
They get rusted and abused because of their location. The rear one on mine is already done with POR-15 since I replaced the whole assembly a bunch of years ago.

The front one isn't done and sexy black shiny looks good. I've used POR-15 products heaps and know how good they are. The Hirsh 'miracle paint' products are basically the same thing just a different brand name.

Not sure what you’re actually asking, but I prefer to use fluid film or wool wax, and I think it’s good practice even if you already have a good coating of POR or otherwise. I launch my boat in salt water with my 80 and treat the rear twice a year, and the whole frame/etc annually, as well as a quick spray with fresh water when I get the boat home - axle, linkages, wheels... I don’t dunk it in the water, but getting that close and then parking for the day or overnight in salty air can add up over time, plus living in harsh winter conditions half the year. Still looks great, and fortunately it didn’t have any rust issues to begin with. Personally I shy away from paint-like products because of the prep required for it to work correctly - lazy? smart? I don’t know. Too many stories where the paint/coating held in moisture and rotted the frame/etc without the owner being able to tell until it’s too late, granted the 80 frame seems to hold up better than many. Even with prepped metal parts & POR/etc on other vehicles, I just haven’t found it to work as well as those lanolin-based “wet” coatings over time, in my conditions.

Looks like SH**T but hopefully helps...
64912260874__51040143-6247-40DF-9284-73E47263E043.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom