popping the lock on the fuel door on a 1995 troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I've been away in the US for over a year due to the Covid travel restrictions and I'm back in Dubai just in time to get the inspection and re-register the troopy, but of course it is not running well. Might just be bad gas. Might just be out of gas. Unfortunately the key to the fuel door has gone missing and there is no obvious release I can see when I open the inside trim panel.

Does anyone have any advice for popping the lock on the fuel door of a mid-1990s FZJ? I think I probably can get another lock set. Not so sure about the fuel door itself though so I hate to damage it. I've got the usual plastic trim prying tools. Just not sure how to go about it--or if I should pound a screwdriver into the lock and force it.

Just really did not need this little headache, but what you gonna do....? I did think it might be worth asking here before I embark on....

1626341048085.png

I thought it was the same key for every cylinder on the truck, so you can't operate door locks or ignition either?

Or is it some aftermarket cylinder and key?

Toyota Matt can make new keys from info you provide hiim.

The latch for the lock is spring loaded, so that it can be closed even when locked. When the latch hits the striker, it will move aside , then spring back after passing the striker.

You should be able to get something thin in there and push the latch aside and open it.

Thank you both. I had looked into getting an entirely new lock set but had come up dry. As a last-ditch idea before forcing the lock I looked through all the orphan keys at the garage that looks after the truck and amazingly found a key that opened the fuel door! I will take some photos when I'm with the truck today and will post them here so the next guy searching for info can see the physical layout. The parts diagrams are too rough to really help.

Can you remove an inner panel?
Open the hatch and get creative

Hello,

The fuel door lock actuates a spring-loaded tab. It moves upwards.

If you introduce a piece of wire with one end shaped like a hook, it is possible to pull it up and open the door.

It will require a few attempts and some patience.

The other option is to pick the lock.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom