popping the birf off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
I'm doing the birfs this weekend, but hesitating on whether to actually take apart the D-S birfield to inspect (it is a rebuilt oem so I'd like to see how it looks). Last time when I did this with Riley we cleaned the birfs still on the shafts. Can anyone say how much extra time is involved in going the extra mile? How hard it is? Time will be of the essence this weekend .

Simon,
I cleaned mine during the first repack without disassembling. I now wish that I had taken the time to disassemble and clean them. Why?? Well, I bought a used spare a few months later and it arrived wrapped in a plastic bag in a box. It was filthy and I wanted to repack it and get it greased and sealed as a trail spare. I first cleaned it up just like you would with it attached to an axle. Then I decided to see "how it worked" and disassembled it. There was a significant amount of old dirty grease inside the cleaned birf. I realized that you need to disassemble to get it really cleaned up.

However, it is time consuming and adds another hour per birfield to disassemble, clean, and reassemble. If you go this route, the images in the FSM are WRONG!!! Even in the '97 manual the pics are for a mini-truck birfield. Before you take it apart, take pics or make good notes on how the balls, the cage, and the star are positioned. Trust me, you *CAN* reassemble an 80 birfield wrong (but it won't feel right.)

-B-

Beo

What do you mean the pictures are WRONG. What is different with the 80 vs other birfs other then the ABS ring?

Joe

Joe,
The cage and the star are shaped differently in the 80 series. If you can post a scan of the page in the FSM I can tell you which images are wrong. It's the part where they describe how to put everything back in the center of the "bowl."

BTW, they are not pictures... they are drawings.
-B-

Beo

with the different shaped star / cage, does the pictures still apply to the direction of the star being inserted into the cage, and that assembly into the "bowl" of the birfield.

Still trying to get the avatar picture sized, yet alone get one the right size to post :)

Joe

IrfanView... it's free windows based image manipulation SW.

The drawings don't match the shape of the 80 star and cage and will confuse some people (e.g. ME) I can't remember the details but I made notes in my FSM for the next time.
-B-

Does this help?
Bill

B, You said the BF should last the life of the 80. Now I see you have a spare :-\
Put your $$$ where your mouth is and give my your spare till the bet is over :slap:

One thing about used or replacment BF, there are two size birfields. You need a different flange if you get the wrong one for your 80.
If you get the wrong one and don't find out till on the trail, your :flipoff2: :'(

Thanks for the FSM scan!

According to my (very short) memory and my written notes in the FSM:

1. The protruding end of the star does not have the circular notch as depicted. The notch is on the other end and the "flat end" is the protruding end.

2. The diagram that identifies the "narrow" and "wide" side of the race/cage shows these as being on the outter surface (i.e. the tread if this were a tyre.) This diagram is wrong. The "wide" surface would be the thickness of the cage (i.e. the sidewall if this were a tyre.) As I remember, there was no discernable difference in the part where diagram shows wide and narrow.

This really needs a picture. I have 2 dirty birfs on the workbench but too many projects ahead of their cleaning and repacking.

-B-

-B-

Kurt,
The spare birfield isn't for my truck. I wheel with crazy guys so I'm saving it for one of them.

:D

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom