Popping sound from forward and rearward momentum (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. Long time lurker. I have a problem with my lx470 and for the life of me cannot make progress. This is going to be a heck of a first post.
My 2002 lx has a 2 inch lift from the previous owner with AHC removed. 142,000 miles in general very good condition. I have had it two years and this issue for about 4 months. For the last year I have had nothing but trouble, mostly self inflicted. It all started when both CV axels inner boots ripped within a month...
My first mistake was replacing with Oreily’s discount CVs. They immediately developed shake upon acceleration. I removed, and replaced with one more Oreily’s that also shook. Then removed both and used one of my original Toyota CVS but rebooted and also another good condition Toyota that I bought used. Shake gone. All is well for a couple months until the one used boot starting leaking grease. I then took that out and rebooted. All is well but then an upper control arm ball joint starting clunking- having been wrecked by multiple removals for cv axels.
I then used cheap upper control arms (I am still learning my lesson) which I found didn’t allow for enough caster with the lift. It was shortly after this that I developed my current issue.
In the mean time I have also installed a slee diff drop, new front diff front bushing, new steering rack bushings. I have also checked and repacked the wheel bearings (They feel good). I recently added SPC upper control arms thinking the cheap UCAs were the cause since it developed shortly after installing them. After SPC control arms and alignment there was no change to this pop. Still the exact same.
The pop happens primarily with either hard braking or hard acceleration- basically with the change in momentum. I will say “pop” but it can be two pops as it really seems like both the general drivers side and passenger side can pop and sometimes seem to do so independently.
Clue #1 Once it pops in one direction it will not pop again until the momentum switches back. So for example if I hit the brakes hard it will pop, but then as long as I accelerate slowly I can pound on the brakes all I want and it will not pop again until I accelerate hard. The reverse is also true though, if I put the car in reverse and accelerate hard it’ll pop on reverse acceleration as long as it hit last popped on forward acceleration. The same would be true if I go forward and hit the brakes hard it would pop, but then I could put it in reverse hit the gas hard there is no pop because no change in momentum direction, however when hitting the brakes to stop rearward momentum it would pop with just the brakes. I also have gone on a hill put the transfer case in neutral put the transmission in neutral and I found the exact same behavior when free rolling either forward or backwards. So I can pop it with only brakes or only acceleration. This leads me to believe it really doesn’t have anything to do directly with the brakes or the driveline since the behavior is identical when either system is removed. This behavior also occurs identically on either loose or sealed roads.
Clue 2- The one situation where I can get it to pop with very little or even no change in vehicle momentum is if it has last popped on rearward momentum, in this case it will sometimes pop if I am at slow speed turning sharply and I go over a bump. Leading me to believe that when in the “rearward state“ there is some stress somewhere in the suspension that prefers to release. I do not believe that if there has last been a pop on forward momentum it will pop with just slow speed turning but I could be wrong, I have done that testing but can’t guarantee it has been enough.
The popping does not seem to be getting worse or better over time but again I could be wrong.
Motor mounts look solid. I have not done extensive tests on them but with the reverse, forward and start up procedure they seem rock solid. Everything underneath seems solid. Going straight or turning while going over bumps doesn’t produce any odd noise whatsoever. The pop in either state really does not seem to have a noticeable effect on driving except the possibility that it feels a little better after a “forward pop”- that might be my imagination though.
So there it is. I talked to a local mechanic and he didn’t have any real idea yet. I don’t want to keep throwing parts at it without actually knowing what is actually going on.
Help me Ih8mud- you’re my only hope.

I continue to try to track this thing down. I may or may not have something. On the passenger side the torsion is all the way forward where it is touching the nut on the control arm. See first picture. This is not the case with the driver side where there is a gap. Wondering if anyone knows if this make a difference? The first two are the passenger, the second two are the driver showing how far the bar is inserted.

B521B99F-6E62-4282-933D-67D75287853B.jpeg

65E201F9-D493-486B-B7A5-FBEC7938A8D6.jpeg

E4E5FF64-B109-47A5-AEA8-95F745501A14.jpeg

36310ECC-73CB-446E-A4D0-58C0D9D32091.jpeg

Any play in the ball joints?

As far as I can tell the ball joints seem good. The passenger is new and the driver looks good and feels tight.

Had a similar popping noise when my CV axle snap ring slipped off, did you use new snap rings or check to see if they have slipped off? Shouldn't be reusing the old snap rings they lose their tension after repeated removal.

Had a similar popping noise when my CV axle snap ring slipped off, did you use new snap rings or check to see if they have slipped off? Shouldn't be reusing the old snap rings they lose their tension after repeated removal.
Thanks for the idea. I believe I did reuse them. I checked and they were still on though I will replace them as a test.

I had pretty similar pop when getting in or out of parking spots. I have attached the video and around 17-19 seconds you will hear a loud pop. In my case the upper control arm bolts were not tight, one of them was only hand tight. I think the alignment shop did not torque them. After I retightened those bolts the pop has been gone and I am so glad I did not tear the front end apart.

Check the torsion bar adjusters, and make sure they are assembled correctly. It does look like on of your TBs is in too far. Makes me wonder if the adjuster is out of whack. They are a bit tricky to keep aligned when initially tightening the adjuster.

But it sounds more like ball joints to me. Make sure everything is tight.

Thanks for the suggestion! Turns out the alignment shop hadn’t torqued the bolts on the UCA even close. They were at about 25lb/f. They also hadn’t torqued the SPC ball joint properly either. I hadn’t checked them because I just assumed that they had done it correctly.
Thanks for the word on the torsion bars. The pop wasn’t related as it turns out by they still don’t seem properly set up. I will check the adjuster.

I recently yanked my stabilizer bar end links out of an abundance of suspicion and found that they were complete crap even though they looked ok before removal. I replaced all the bushings on all four end links with polyurethane and my maddening popping has disappeared.

Thanks for the suggestion! Turns out the alignment shop hadn’t torqued the bolts on the UCA even close. They were at about 25lb/f. They also hadn’t torqued the SPC ball joint properly either. I hadn’t checked them because I just assumed that they had done it correctly.
Thanks for the word on the torsion bars. The pop wasn’t related as it turns out by they still don’t seem properly set up. I will check the adjuster.
What shop?

I had pretty similar pop when getting in or out of parking spots. I have attached the video and around 17-19 seconds you will hear a loud pop. In my case the upper control arm bolts were not tight, one of them was only hand tight. I think the alignment shop did not torque them. After I retightened those bolts the pop has been gone and I am so glad I did not tear the front end apart.

Did you have to go back and get it re-aligned? I just had my alignment done and heard a couple pops while driving turning into parking lots. When I replaced the upper control arms I made sure to tighten then to spec, but I bet the alignment shop did not. I assume they loosen the bolts to perform the alignment?

I had a similar popping sound and i had the LCA bushings replaced along with the anti-sway bar bushings and the lower AHC mounts. The LCA bushings were the prime suspects but the other parts were replaced because I had already bought them.
267k on the rig at the time of the work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom